Any guys prefer being with girls to other guys?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Signs654
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2009, 3:50 pm

I do. I just can't stand guys my age.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2009, 4:27 pm

Is that because all the guys you know are immature sods?

I prefer being with guys but in the same breath the immaturity at times can piss me off, yet sometimes I actually find it quite funny, oddly.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 4:30 pm

I do. When the relationship/sexual component is removed, women are easier to interact with than men. And my intellectual interests have a higher change of being shared. I HATE sports and most typical "male" interests, so...

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2009, 6:25 pm

I too find the company of women to be more interesting.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 10:43 pm

What I don't like is alphamales or jocks. They tend to be male. Then again, most of my friends have been boys who were nerdier and/or feminine(guys like me).

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2009, 11:38 pm

This works in theory, but it never does in practice.

If you're a guy, you might think you prefer hanging out with girls because you feel there's more of a connection. I've found that in those situations, if you look four months down the road, she's nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, all my same-sex friendships have kept for several years.

As for getting rid of the sexual component, the only successful way to do that is to have several friends in common and do a lot of large-group style socializing. You can't just have a one-on-one friendship with a girl (assuming you are a guy) without it looking weird to bystanders (and this is given that there's no sort of physical contact ever).

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 6:32 pm

aleclair wrote:
This works in theory, but it never does in practice.

If you're a guy, you might think you prefer hanging out with girls because you feel there's more of a connection. I've found that in those situations, if you look four months down the road, she's nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, all my same-sex friendships have kept for several years.

As for getting rid of the sexual component, the only successful way to do that is to have several friends in common and do a lot of large-group style socializing. You can't just have a one-on-one friendship with a girl (assuming you are a guy) without it looking weird to bystanders (and this is given that there's no sort of physical contact ever).
I've been seen alone with this one female friend of mine a lot. There's the odd guy like "You should tap that." or "Kiss your girlfriend, Matt! LOL!" She's just not that hot to me though, and even if she were, so what? Don't tell me you have problems controlling yourself.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2009, 9:37 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
Don't tell me you have problems controlling yourself.

Not at all. I just think that girls can, and do, find more lucrative friendships elsewhere. Whether you are a guy or a girl, there are certain social and emotional benefits or "stakes" that keep a friendship going. I think there's a limited amount that a girl can take from an opposite-sex friendship before she gets sick of it unless there's some sort of extended roots into an extended social network.

I tried the whole idea that "it's just a friendship, regardless of whether you are friends with a guy or a girl" but I don't think other people think like that. There's always some sort of tension, want it or not. I realized this right as what I assumed was a friendship with one girl quickly changed course to a full-blown relationship, as the subtle cues that it was more than a friendship completely passed me by. Ironically, I know of quite a few counterexamples to this claim.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2009, 7:18 am

Not sure if this is relevant, but I want to draw attention to the fact that this is a two-way street.
As an AS young lady, I can safely say that I HATE being around teenage girls! Even if they're really, really, really nice people, I can't stand them. I love hanging out with boys in a completely innocent way.
But...I don't think anyone can escape the fact that opposite sex friendships will at some point cross the line. Whether it's light flirting or just a bit of rumour, it's innevitable. All my friendships with guys ended because

a. I asked him out or
b. He asked me out or
c. We both got so tired of the hearsay that we gave up and stopped being friends

Still, I find your gender honest, playful and funny.

Thought I'd end that on a compliment. :wink:

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 9:41 am

I'm far too manly to be seen with a... woman.

um...

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 11:40 am

aleclair wrote:
protest_the_hero wrote:
Don't tell me you have problems controlling yourself.

Not at all. I just think that girls can, and do, find more lucrative friendships elsewhere. Whether you are a guy or a girl, there are certain social and emotional benefits or "stakes" that keep a friendship going. I think there's a limited amount that a girl can take from an opposite-sex friendship before she gets sick of it unless there's some sort of extended roots into an extended social network.

I tried the whole idea that "it's just a friendship, regardless of whether you are friends with a guy or a girl" but I don't think other people think like that. There's always some sort of tension, want it or not. I realized this right as what I assumed was a friendship with one girl quickly changed course to a full-blown relationship, as the subtle cues that it was more than a friendship completely passed me by. Ironically, I know of quite a few counterexamples to this claim.
I have a female friend. We've been good friends for a long time. There's no tension like that. It helps that neiter of us is even attracted to the other anyway.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 11:44 am

I'm not in the habit of forging friendships, but I've noticed that the majority of those I like to talk to on MSN are girls.

TheSocialReject
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2009, 8:02 am

mmh I've been In a friendship with a girl from all way through primary and up to year 10 now...
Theres was no tension until now But I dont think she likes me the way I like her...
Mhh I have many friends are girls ones playful with me but not serious ... Though the girl I like will probaly never like me :cry:

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 8:27 am

I dont realy think about lables in friendship if I lke someone then I like someone end of.