Veteran

15 May 2009, 10:43 am

Biggest misdiagnosis: that I was "just fine"

HAR

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 11:05 am

ADHD incomplete i have attention problems but that dont explain the whole picture
bipolar ---

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:10 pm

I had one misdiagnosis and that was deaf.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:18 pm

Psychotic disorder NOS, Borderline Personality Disorder...

The last one is so contradictory to my personality it's funny.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:27 pm

not sure about misdiagnosis but i've been dx'd with (i think) ADHD,OCD, generalised anxiety disorder, Agoraphobia &depression lol everything but AS/HFA &also i've been dx'd with some BS personality/behavioural disorder which has never been explained to me. that'd be the misdiagnosis.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:28 pm

Paranoid schizophrenia, but it was less of a "misdiagnosis" and more of a "punishment for refusing to speak" when being grilled by a psychiatrist at a mental ward. I never heard voices in my head, nor was ever delusional, nor dangerous to myself or others. I had previously studied schizophrenia, and knew without a doubt that I didn't have it. I was subjected to this treatment, at least 1 year before AS went into the DSM. Like Vimse, this diagnosis was superceded when I was officially diagnosed with AS.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2009, 5:46 pm

ADD, schizophernia, and depression.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 6:51 pm

FireBird wrote:
I believe that I have been misdiagnosed as having "schizoaffective disorder" because I am not psychotic in the least bit! I am NEUROTIC!! ! That alone would exclude the diagnosis of schizoaffective. A pill did make me psychotic, however, it was called Moban. I have no delusions (even though to the outsider it might appear so, and of the so called "bizarre" type) but my whatever you want to call them are true and I know the difference between reality and fantasy.

You realize, of course, that to those who do have psychotic delusions, those delusions appear quite real to them, and they would probably also insist that they can tell the difference between reality and fantasy...

I was diagnosed by an Air Force psych with Schizoid Disorder, after a half-hour interview - but in his defense, this was in 1989, five years before the DSM-IV was published, and he thought my "flatness of affect" meant that I really didn't have emotions at all. I still don't have an official "diagnosis" of AS, because I can't afford a psychiatrist or neurologist, but I'm satisfied with the diagnosis I did receive - when my sister read an article in Newsweek about AS, back in '02, put the magazine down, and said, "So THAT'S what's wrong with Jon!" :)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 7:17 pm

The psychatrist still isn't really sure of my true DX...
Childhood: ADHD/Emotionally Disturbed (that one is correct...), possible schizophrenia

Adult (in order): Bipolar, Major Depression with psychotic features, Psychosis NOS, Schizoaffective. Whatever I have, I have mood disturbances, psychotic episodes, and my psychologist barely agnologize my AS-like stuff. My therapist says I'm not impared enough for a DX of Asperger's, so I don't know.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 9:41 pm

None.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 May 2009, 12:36 am

Brief psychotic disorder & Sociopathy. 8O
I now have written on my medical files that I'm a sociopath, I hate going to see doctors because of this. They all look at the file & think I'm a sociopath.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 2:12 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Brief psychotic disorder & Sociopathy. 8O
I now have written on my medical files that I'm a sociopath, I hate going to see doctors because of this. They all look at the file & think I'm a sociopath.

That does not seem right to me. This ought to have been reviewed in light of your AS diagnosis.

You have the right to access and request changes to your private information and any agency holding that information must make reasonable attempts to ensure the accuracy of the information. If it bothers you (and this would be very understandable if it did), you might want to look at having it changed. You can make a request under the Privacy Act.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 2:38 am

depression when i was 10

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2009, 11:10 pm

ADD - "missing the forest for the trees" diagnosis
Emotionally disturbed - huh?
possibly schizophrenic - those guys are lucky I never filed a lawsuit
almost certainly social anxiety - even though I told the moron I have no anxiety around people, just am akward around people

What's funny is I pattern my life on the assumption that I'm Autistic now, and the quality of my life has been improving. Certainly this means that I'm anything but Autistic though. :roll:

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 12:40 am

When I was young, I was diagnosed with some form of social phobia I think

More recently: other then aspergers, depression, anxiety.

I dont think any where misdiagnosises, I do have depression and anxiety but my aspergers complicates things from your normal depression/anxiety case.

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2009, 6:55 am

princesseli wrote:
More recently: other then aspergers, depression, anxiety.

I dont think any where misdiagnosises, I do have depression and anxiety but my aspergers complicates things from your normal depression/anxiety case.

I think they are misdiagnoses. Doctors all too often treat the symptoms of a problem and not the cause.

Last year I was obese (weighed 225 pounds, am 5 foot 11 inch male)... you go to two different doctors in the USA for blood pressure issues. Do the doctors once turn to you and say "you really need to get your weight down to 170 or lower, it is great for your health!" NO, they do not! The problem: doctor is being paid by the patient, the patient is a customer, so it would be "offensive" to call a customer obese.

Instead, doctors ignore a primary cause and want to treat symptoms. They prescribe you blood pressure medications and try to adjust the fats/cholesterol types in your body with chemicals/drugs. What a total joke. They don't even TRY to educate people on one of the biggest contributers (being overweight, bad diet).

For you: A proper diagnosis could help you cope much better. Helping you understand and finding support groups (like WP) for aspergers could very well decrease your anxiety and depression. Educating the people in your life on AS can also decrease the stress if those people gain new understanding and become more supportive instead of judgmental.

----
P.S. RANT: If you live in the USA, use your Aspie mind and realize many people are brainwashed with constant marketing/advertising to overeat. In general, we eat way too large of meals and way too fast. It is a society issue, as almost EVERYBODY does it. You don't need to go the gym 2 hours a day every day (or fad diets), that's just more marketing and vanity. Walking 30 minutes a day and eating less is all most Americans need. In fact, there is clear medical evidence that if you skip many meals - you will have huge health benefits. Read more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16529878 - question the "three square meals a day" - did God hand that down? How about one meal a day where you take two hours instead of 3 rushed meals a day? Think, come up with new solutions.

Last edited by TobyZ on 17 May 2009, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.