Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2009, 6:55 am

princesseli wrote:
More recently: other then aspergers, depression, anxiety.

I dont think any where misdiagnosises, I do have depression and anxiety but my aspergers complicates things from your normal depression/anxiety case.

I think they are misdiagnoses. Doctors all too often treat the symptoms of a problem and not the cause.

Last year I was obese (weighed 225 pounds, am 5 foot 11 inch male)... you go to two different doctors in the USA for blood pressure issues. Do the doctors once turn to you and say "you really need to get your weight down to 170 or lower, it is great for your health!" NO, they do not! The problem: doctor is being paid by the patient, the patient is a customer, so it would be "offensive" to call a customer obese.

Instead, doctors ignore a primary cause and want to treat symptoms. They prescribe you blood pressure medications and try to adjust the fats/cholesterol types in your body with chemicals/drugs. What a total joke. They don't even TRY to educate people on one of the biggest contributers (being overweight, bad diet).

For you: A proper diagnosis could help you cope much better. Helping you understand and finding support groups (like WP) for aspergers could very well decrease your anxiety and depression. Educating the people in your life on AS can also decrease the stress if those people gain new understanding and become more supportive instead of judgmental.

----
P.S. RANT: If you live in the USA, use your Aspie mind and realize many people are brainwashed with constant marketing/advertising to overeat. In general, we eat way too large of meals and way too fast. It is a society issue, as almost EVERYBODY does it. You don't need to go the gym 2 hours a day every day (or fad diets), that's just more marketing and vanity. Walking 30 minutes a day and eating less is all most Americans need. In fact, there is clear medical evidence that if you skip many meals - you will have huge health benefits. Read more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16529878 - question the "three square meals a day" - did God hand that down? How about one meal a day where you take two hours instead of 3 rushed meals a day? Think, come up with new solutions.

Last edited by TobyZ on 17 May 2009, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 7:07 am

None. I just had the one diagnosis that was 100% correct.