Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2009, 6:15 am

Did anyone catch this? I think it's on catch up or what ever it's called, if you didn't. I thought it was great. I saw a clip of it and thought it was one of those documentary things, with really bad and low budget clips of reenactors. Turned out to be far, far better than what I was expecting. Obviously it wasn't big budget Hollywood, but it was a hell of a lot better than most UK productions of things I have seen.

I wonder sometimes if we'll ever get a big budget movie around the battles of 1066. But, I suspect if it ever happens, they'll totally ruin it. Mel Gibson will creep in somewhere to kill the Anglo-Saxons. King Harold will have an American accent etc etc. It's probably better we don't get one.

I went to the 2006 reenactment of the Battle of Hastings at the battle site itself. That was likely better than any film. Hearing the sound of all the horses going up the hill felt like the definition of epic to me.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 9:16 am

Yeah I saw this. I thought it was ok although I didn't like some parts of it plus it was a bit violent for me...I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to make a film based on the battle of hastings. It would probably be a bit tricky to pull off and I don't think it's that well-known to be honest even though it's an important part of British history.
:)

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 9:34 am

So, what part of Hastings was the Battle?

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 2:19 pm

What do you mean? Do you mean where the battle actually took place? It took place at Senlac hill near Hastings.