Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 10:34 am

I've been told I make an "Elvis Sneer" and while eating, I look like I'm experiencing a "bad trip." This prompted me to look at old photos, which made me realize that I do indeed make odd faces. :oops:

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 12:25 pm

Yep, weird face syndrome here for sure.

Lorilyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

Are the weird faces something you've always experienced, or is it something that gets better/worse?

I've only become aware of my "stuck" and "face sliding off" expressions in the past several years, in my 40s. The exaggerated expressions have apparently come naturally all my life, but not these weird ones.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jul 2012, 5:42 pm

I don't think that is uncommon. When I was a kid, I used to be horrified when I looked in a mirror. My eyes kept on rapidly going back and forth, and my general facial expression made me look weird. I actually practiced looking so-called normal in front of a mirror.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 6:13 pm

Oh god I think I totally have this. I'm probably making all kinds of crazy facial expressions without even noticing. Actually a couple people have told me I do. Need to get Botox asap...

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 6:51 pm

I sometimes ask my son why he is sad and he will say "I'm not sad, Mommy. My face is just doing it on it's own." He seems to have more problems with his face lacking congruence with his inner state than my daughter does.

I move my mouth around a lot. I think I forget that other people can see me, though I am sure it looks quite odd when I do it.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

I've only ever been told that apparently I talk out of one side of my mouth, and that i also have a twitchy eye, which I've never noticed. I've been accused of being high long before I ever smoked too, I guess because my eye sockets are naturally deep and small, and I have large cheeks, so my eyes look like I'm either high or asian at times.

Beyond that, I'd have to observe on my own or ask someone if I have this... weird face syndrome, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

mmonroe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2012, 8:27 pm

I have a very expressive face, especially when I start rambling passionately about a special interest or if I'm reacting to what other people are saying. One of my Stanford colleagues once said to me "you're a living toon!" And this was coming from another eccentric person. I guess I took it as a compliment. :D

I also hate having my picture taken, ever since I was a child, because I never know what expression is going to be captured on film. Photos are like an adventure.....or a form of torture. It could go either way.

Lorilyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2012, 6:49 pm

Hmm, I do eat out of one side of my mouth. Otherwise I'm pretty much bilaterally weird. I've actually come to accept that being a little weird is O.K. (at least I'm not boring)...

I always dreaded school pictures, too. Having to hold a smile looked unnatural after a second or two and kind of like a thirsty vampire after five. Then there was the alarmingly bright flashbulb (70s & early 80s), which either made both my pupils glow red like a little demoness, or made one eye close partially. Just lovely. I have only a few really good pictures of myself, and a whole lot of awful ones.

I like how one of you explained her little boy's face being sad "on its own," and the concept of "incongruent" expressions. That makes some sense to me.

SDAsp
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2012, 7:10 pm

I stick my tongue out when I think hard and I tend to twitch my nose and lips when thinking as well....

Lorilyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2012, 7:34 pm

Oh yeah, I do the "concentration tongue" thing, too. Oh, well. Might as well be Weird & Proud, and if I get any grief, I'll just do my "crazy-mad eyes." Those I DO exaggerate on purpose at times...