Page 3 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 5:09 am

I got the impression that the social impairment in autism is still largely different from that of someone with mild/moderate MR.

Intuitively and as kids, those with mild MR in specific totally outdo autistic kids of the same age if the autistic kids have AS/HFA for certain.

They have empathy, they can imitate, they try to get in contact with others. Way to go.

Master_Shake wrote:
Quote:
E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

It doesn't make much sense to discuss the criteria without the expanded text.

The expanded text is an explanation, clarification of how to understand the criteria, as they are not designed to be understood by themselves.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 5:15 am

FireBird wrote:
Sadly I have a negative IQ. I actually have no brain aka "Anencephaly" but I have a less severe version of it, normally when you have this your skull doesn't develop normally. Its a common "human" condition, affecting nearly everyone. Their driving skills proves this. I tried looking for intelligent life on this planet, but couldn't find any. My skull is empty! I've had countless MRI's to prove this. I wish so much that I have a brain, but have no proof. And all my IQ tests were horrible!! 99% of them scored in the Borderline Intellectual Functioning range, otherwise known as BIF. I do nothing that proves I have a higher IQ than that. I can barely do simple math, know little about science, history, or any other subject that requires a brain. Yes, I could read around 3 years of age, but that was due to Hyperlexia. Reading words blindly has nothing to do with intelligence. I mean I didn't understand what I read until a few years ago, and only medical and current events type stuff. Very limited. I can't even read a preschool level book because it is fiction. I was never able to read novels and understand them, but yet I can read medical stuff (mainly psychology) with ease. In fact, to prove that I have the worlds best psychology knowledge (no, not a grandiose delusion!! !) many previous therapists/ psychologists I have been to said my medical knowledge surpasses theirs!! And I never took a single class on it, all self taught! Psychology is the easiest medical field there is, and since I experienced nearly everything in the DSM IV, including the Evil Scary Schizophrenia ({well actually schizoaffective disorder}don't agree with this diagnosis though because I am not psychotic! Just plain neurosis at work!) and the so called "rare" DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder aka Multiple personality disorder) but that actually happens in 1 in 100 cases, unlike what other people might say (they say its much rarer than schizophrenia but it actually happens both in 1 in 100 cases, believe it or not!) of course I have Autism as well, but not Asperger's. That is because I had the speech delay, which would eliminate the diagnosis of Asperger's. I didn't start truly speaking until I was 7. I don't have schizoaffective disorder because first of all, I hardly ever hear voices or other auditory hallucinations, no delusions (even though from the outside it looks as if I have at LEAST 6 different types, what they don't get is its all real!) don't have disorganized speech anymore (it used to be a problem), no disorganized or catatonic behavior, and the only "negative" symptom I experience is similar to depression. Oh where was I going with this?? What does this have to do with an.. IQ??? As one of my favorite shirts says, "I took an IQ test and the results were negative." If only I had a brain. I know all about ONE subject, but nothing about anything else. I am an idiot savant. Oh yeah, I can draw. 10 % of autistics have a savant like talent, compared to less than 1% of the general population. There is no population where I live, far away from "human" population in the year 1809, 200 years behind the cities. Cow population 200 MILLION, "human" population...you. I mean to prove this isn't a delusion of the bizarre type, when I first mooooved here in 1800 (2000 in cities or technologically advanced areas) cable TV hasn't been invented yet, and it took ages for high speed Internet to reach my house! And in some areas, electricity hasn't been invented yet! Cars are known as "Time machines" to tansport me and my family (or other "people") to the "future." When I reach a city, I say, "oh, that's what 2009 is supposed to look like!" Seriously, the newspaper out here mainly covers cows getting loose. Yes, they are going to infect everyone out here with Mad Cow Disease! I'm soooo old! I mean chronologically 26, but feel like 500 million. I remember the dinosaurs! OK, now I'm officially confused. Gotta go to sleep now, its past midnight.

Wow, I found your post really interesting to read FireBird. :)

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 7:57 am

Sora wrote:
I got the impression that the social impairment in autism is still largely different from that of someone with mild/moderate MR.

Exactly. MR occurring without other known conditions such as autism is common. If MR generally occurred with autism-specific social impairments, a very large percentage with MR would likely meet some PDD diagnosis, which is not the case.

Another source of confusion arises from the terms low-functioning autism, high-functioning autism, and Asperger's. The validity of AS as a separate condition from autism has yet to be established, and it seems some people are assuming the social deficits in autism are related to MR and are qualitatively different to those in AS (and those classed as HFA seem to have been overlooked in this). They may have different expressions, but they are based upon the same criteria. The expression of the social impairment in relatively high-functioning autistics can also be mitigated by intellect and language, but it is still autism-specific social impairment.

The division of the spectrum between HFA and LFA categories also has questionable validity due to the difficulties measuring IQ in autistics, the highly scattered profiles of individuals, and changes in IQ throughout individual development, which relates to what KingdomOfRats said. As a result, the percentage of autistics with MR varies widely between studies.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2009, 12:51 pm

outlier wrote:
Sora wrote:

Exactly. MR occurring without other known conditions such as autism is common. If MR generally occurred with autism-specific social impairments, a very large percentage with MR would likely meet some PDD diagnosis, which is not the case.

Another source of confusion arises from the terms low-functioning autism, high-functioning autism, and Asperger's. The validity of AS as a separate condition from autism has yet to be established, and it seems some people are assuming the social deficits in autism are related to MR and are qualitatively different to those in AS (and those classed as HFA seem to have been overlooked in this). They may have different expressions, but they are based upon the same criteria. The expression of the social impairment in relatively high-functioning autistics can also be mitigated by intellect and language, but it is still autism-specific social impairment.

The division of the spectrum between HFA and LFA categories also has questionable validity due to the difficulties measuring IQ in autistics, the highly scattered profiles of individuals, and changes in IQ throughout individual development, which relates to what KingdomOfRats said. As a result, the percentage of autistics with MR varies widely between studies.

For clarification, I know full well that I was refering only to Asperger's with my original post.

There are certainly people with both ASDs and MR, but they are typically diagnosed with Moderate to Low-functioning Classical autism, or MF/LF-PDD-NOS, not Asperger's.

However, it IS entirely possible for someone to lack social skills due to mental retardation that has nothing to do with ASDs. Not in the same way that people with Asperger's or High-functioning Kanner's lack social skills. But they still behave in socially inappropriate ways, nonetheless. My original post was refering to people who lack social skills that are not autism-specific.

An example of this would be something like, if a person with general MR, Down's Syndrome, or FAS started masturbating in public. Or hugging strangers. Or wiping their snot on people. Of course, many of the socially inappropriate behaviours are on the more extreme side than the behaviours of someone with a high-functioning ASD.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 1:14 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
I often read on this forum about how those with Aspergers Syndrome have above average to high IQ's. This argument is often used by 'aspie elitists' to defend their position. someone in PPR has just asked the question wheres the proof. So I had a quick search around and came up empty. As General seems to be a bastion for this belief I was wondering if any of you can provide evidence for this belief? Until this morning I also accepted this as true.

proof is easy, if you can understand math and the criteria for aspergers syndrome... the latter differs from autism primarily in the fact that there is no general delay or retardation in language or in cognitive development (says ICD-10)... meaning at least an average IQ or higher.

average IQ ranges from 85 to 115 ... and occurs in approx. 70% of the population.

below average IQ occurs in approx 15% of the population, just like above average IQ does.

so if one eliminates the below average scores - due to the asperger criteria - the average IQ will go up.

simplified example of this:

assigning a score related to the IQ

below 85 ....... 1
85 to 100 ....... 2
101 to 115 ....... 3
above 116 ....... 4

average score: 2.5

now assigning a score related to the IQ for aspergers (and thus excluding the <85 group according to the ICD-10)

85 to 100 ....... 2
101 to 115 ....... 3
above 116 ....... 4

average score: 3

there's the proof.

but... it doesn't mean that all aspies have an above average IQ... ;-)

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 1:14 pm

Katie_WPG wrote:
However, it IS entirely possible for someone to lack social skills due to mental retardation that has nothing to do with ASDs. Not in the same way that people with Asperger's or High-functioning Kanner's lack social skills. But they still behave in socially inappropriate ways, nonetheless. My original post was refering to people who lack social skills that are not autism-specific.

An example of this would be something like, if a person with general MR, Down's Syndrome, or FAS started masturbating in public. Or hugging strangers. Or wiping their snot on people. Of course, many of the socially inappropriate behaviours are on the more extreme side than the behaviours of someone with a high-functioning ASD.

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed this was what you were referring to in the original post from the wording; however, I wasn't 100% sure.

Gabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2009, 10:51 pm

MrKnott wrote:
I've had my kid tested at ages 4, 6, and 8, and the result was the same: an extemely high verbal IQ and an average preformance IQ, resulting in a full scale IQ of 125. The following are my scores.:
Verbal IQ 145; Performance IQ, 98; Full Scale IQ, 120---the schools gave me the test twice when I was nine, with comment "the gap between intellect and ability must cause considerable daily frustration." And how! The gap between verabal and performance seem to be an indicator of AS or NVLD or somehting that ain't NT. Even if the full scale IQ is high or very high, the brain doctors see this as a red flag.

Large gaps between (high) verbal IQ and (average) performance IQ are normal among Ashkenazi Jews; you see the exact opposite pattern in East Asia. Unbalance between IQ types is probably more common than generally thought, making the kind of blanket this-group-has-higher-intelligence statements mostly meaningless.

For people with AS, there seems to be spikes among certain types of intelligence (Verbal or Performance or Visual) and deficits in other. So instead of being smarter or dumber than NTs, AS might have the same overall intelligence but less even; higher-than-average ability in some area, but handicapped in other areas.

MKDP
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2009, 1:17 am

FireBird wrote:
Sadly I have a negative IQ. I actually have no brain aka "Anencephaly" but I have a less severe version of it, normally when you have this your skull doesn't develop normally. Its a common "human" condition, affecting nearly everyone. Their driving skills proves this. I tried looking for intelligent life on this planet, but couldn't find any. My skull is empty! I've had countless MRI's to prove this. I wish so much that I have a brain, but have no proof. And all my IQ tests were horrible!! 99% of them scored in the Borderline Intellectual Functioning range, otherwise known as BIF. I do nothing that proves I have a higher IQ than that. I can barely do simple math, know little about science, history, or any other subject that requires a brain. Yes, I could read around 3 years of age, but that was due to Hyperlexia. Reading words blindly has nothing to do with intelligence. I mean I didn't understand what I read until a few years ago, and only medical and current events type stuff. Very limited. I can't even read a preschool level book because it is fiction. I was never able to read novels and understand them, but yet I can read medical stuff (mainly psychology) with ease. In fact, to prove that I have the worlds best psychology knowledge (no, not a grandiose delusion!! !) many previous therapists/ psychologists I have been to said my medical knowledge surpasses theirs!! And I never took a single class on it, all self taught! Psychology is the easiest medical field there is, and since I experienced nearly everything in the DSM IV, including the Evil Scary Schizophrenia ({well actually schizoaffective disorder}don't agree with this diagnosis though because I am not psychotic! Just plain neurosis at work!) and the so called "rare" DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder aka Multiple personality disorder) but that actually happens in 1 in 100 cases, unlike what other people might say (they say its much rarer than schizophrenia but it actually happens both in 1 in 100 cases, believe it or not!) of course I have Autism as well, but not Asperger's. That is because I had the speech delay, which would eliminate the diagnosis of Asperger's. I didn't start truly speaking until I was 7. I don't have schizoaffective disorder because first of all, I hardly ever hear voices or other auditory hallucinations, no delusions (even though from the outside it looks as if I have at LEAST 6 different types, what they don't get is its all real!) don't have disorganized speech anymore (it used to be a problem), no disorganized or catatonic behavior, and the only "negative" symptom I experience is similar to depression. Oh where was I going with this?? What does this have to do with an.. IQ??? As one of my favorite shirts says, "I took an IQ test and the results were negative." If only I had a brain. I know all about ONE subject, but nothing about anything else. I am an idiot savant. Oh yeah, I can draw. 10 % of autistics have a savant like talent, compared to less than 1% of the general population. There is no population where I live, far away from "human" population in the year 1809, 200 years behind the cities. Cow population 200 MILLION, "human" population...you. I mean to prove this isn't a delusion of the bizarre type, when I first mooooved here in 1800 (2000 in cities or technologically advanced areas) cable TV hasn't been invented yet, and it took ages for high speed Internet to reach my house! And in some areas, electricity hasn't been invented yet! Cars are known as "Time machines" to tansport me and my family (or other "people") to the "future." When I reach a city, I say, "oh, that's what 2009 is supposed to look like!" Seriously, the newspaper out here mainly covers cows getting loose. Yes, they are going to infect everyone out here with Mad Cow Disease! I'm soooo old! I mean chronologically 26, but feel like 500 million. I remember the dinosaurs! OK, now I'm officially confused. Gotta go to sleep now, its past midnight.

That's funny. Sounds like a parody someone could have written about me.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:53 am

In my view there exist two major factors contributing to people with AS being in common opinion characterized by above average IQ:

- Someone who is mostly sitting home reading and talking to parents for the lack of friends in their age group will always sound much smarter than others.

-The other one is purely psychological, basing on existing in human heads some natural tendency towards balance: someone exhibiting noticeable deficits in some field (in this case in the field of social contacts) is automatically assumed by others that they’d be able to make up for it in another field (here the field of intelligence).

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:33 am

It's the obsession that makes the impression, really. The "little professor" grows up to be the "big professor".

For example, I know more about ASDs than my psychiatrist, and he freely admits such; I also correct him with medical terminology repetitively (I'm such a courteous fellow). He has a PhD in medicine, plus the psychology degree; I have a grade 10 pass. His IQ would be much higher than mine overall, realistically. Whilst this is a fallacy to say that one needs education to be smart in the ways defined, it's more likely that the one who has the education will be smarter in the ways defined.

RE: MR and social ability. Someone with just moderate to mild MR will have better social ability than the individual with AS who has an IQ of 100. The only time it's sometimes hard to distinguish between the two is when you get to a profound level of MR in normal people and those with Profound Autism. Both groups are severely impaired (even though in the person with Autism, it's more likely that their brains are too "smart" rather than too "dumb", and they can't handle anything but the basic of repetitive actions, as the world is too overwhelming).

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 1:07 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
I was wondering if any of you can provide evidence for this belief? Until this morning I also accepted this as true.

Look at the mensa IQ test. Those moving patterns are very visual/spatial. Some Aspies (like me) have unusually high spatial abilities, like at least twice as good as normal people.

Now, if the ability to extrapolate moving patterns from a sequence of previous images indicates some sort of intelligence, then sure i am intelligent.

Note: It does not mean that i am some sort of "math genius" like some people seem to think all aspies are - i have a modest interest in math because of my interest in cryptography, but otherwise i plainly suck at math. I am very good with computers since they are logical and make sense and i have been programming in several programming languages since childhood, but math in general... *yawn*

A positive stereotype is still a stereotype...

Master_Shake
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2009, 3:56 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
simplified example of this:

assigning a score related to the IQ

below 85 ....... 1
85 to 100 ....... 2
101 to 115 ....... 3
above 116 ....... 4

average score: 2.5

now assigning a score related to the IQ for aspergers (and thus excluding the <85 group according to the ICD-10)

85 to 100 ....... 2
101 to 115 ....... 3
above 116 ....... 4

average score: 3

there's the proof.

Great example aspi-rant. Theoretically speaking, if the lower 15% of a population was exluded, the average IQ for Aspies would be the 57.5 percentile, about 103(assuming Asperger's does not affect IQ negatively or positively). This is in accordance with a study I've seen where Aspies in the study group had an average IQ of 104. If the lower 2.3% (IQ < 70) were excluded, the average IQ for Aspies would be the 51.15 percentile, about 101.

I would like to point out that there is no standard definition of "average IQ." Some say 95 to 105, some say 90 to 110, some say 70 to 130. In IQ testing < 70 is MR, 70 to 79 is "borderline", 80 to 89 is "low average", 90 to 109 is "average", 110 to 119 is "high average", 120 to 129 is "superior", and => 130 is "gifted." So average can be about 90 to 110 or 85 to 115 or 70 to 130 depending on context.

When psychologist says Aspies "have IQs in the average to above average range" it should probably be taken to mean IQ > 70. Though there is no standard. As some people have said those with mild MR can be diagnosed as Asperger's, but in reality very few (in relation to prevalence in normal IQ population) are.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 4:21 pm

I refuse to that so-called IQ tests, I'll let people judge me from my actions and ideas instead of some test.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 11:06 pm

Master_Shake wrote:
I would like to point out that there is no standard definition of "average IQ." Some say 95 to 105, some say 90 to 110, some say 70 to 130.

not entirely true... at least not when WAIS tests are involved:

Quote:
Standardization
The WAIS-IV was standardized on a sample of 2,200 people in the United States ranging in age from 16 to 90. An extension of the standardization has been conducted with 688 Canadians in the same age range. The median Full Scale IQ is centered at 100, with a standard deviation of 15. In a normal distribution, the IQ range of one standard deviation above and below the mean (i.e, between 85 and 115) is where approximately 68% of all adults would fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_A ... ence_Scale

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 3:50 am

aspi-rant wrote:
Master_Shake wrote:
I would like to point out that there is no standard definition of "average IQ." Some say 95 to 105, some say 90 to 110, some say 70 to 130.

not entirely true... at least not when WAIS tests are involved:

Quote:
Standardization
The WAIS-IV was standardized on a sample of 2,200 people in the United States ranging in age from 16 to 90. An extension of the standardization has been conducted with 688 Canadians in the same age range. The median Full Scale IQ is centered at 100, with a standard deviation of 15. In a normal distribution, the IQ range of one standard deviation above and below the mean (i.e, between 85 and 115) is where approximately 68% of all adults would fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_A ... ence_Scale

And where you see a standard definition of "average IQ" in that?

11krage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2009, 7:55 am

I think aspie-rant put it best, its largely to do with the maths.

Of course IQ's are highly questionable as a way to assess intelligence, they are nortoriously terrible at even passing over to different cultures and subgroups within the same culture. I would question their reletiveness on a person with aspergers syndrome as I doubt people with that neurotype were used enough or in the right ways when designing the IQ system.

http://the-quiet-ones.blogspot.com/