I want my Asperger's obsession to be over!! !

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 2:28 pm

CloudWalker wrote:
But I'm obsessed because I'm interested by it. If I lost that interest, I suppose the obsession will go too.

I think most here consider their obsessions to be interests. They only look like obsessions if someone else looks in and makes a comment.

ladyinred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2009, 2:35 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
The lady in red wants a cure for "this curse", I would say that be careful what you wish for. AS has two sides of the coin, one side might be a nightmare while at the same time the other side is a great blessing. Sometimes the same aspect of AS can be a nightmare in one place and a blessing somewhere else in life.

Maybe, but it depends on the person. For me its a curse and i'm sick of living.

TrinityDejavu
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2009, 2:38 pm

dustintorch wrote:
Ever since I found out about Asperger's and realized I had it I've been completely obsessed. If I'm going to be obsessed with something why can't it be fun? Why can't I have an obsession with amusement parks or jigsaw puzzles? Is anyone else going through this? How do you change interests? Is it even possible?

Obsessions are half the fun, and they usually last just long enough for a new one to take over, which to me suggest the previous obsession was either fading and something else popped up, or Im easily distra ... ooooh shiney!

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 3:20 pm

my post count is indicative of a preference for forum communication as opposed to face to face interactions.
I actually enjoy my special interests and some die their own deaths. the major one is lifelong and is akin to a requirement like breathing. it will leave this earth when i do.

ASD's is a secondary interest at present. has been for a year. That may change or it may not.
But always, they must be fun while they last...

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 4:19 pm

Count me in as another AS obsessed person. But I have to say that I enjoy every minute of obsessing about it´s details! Wish I had more time in my life...

My problem is that I´m totally sleep deprived, the time just goes by too quickly when I´m reading a book or here on WP. I never get to bed at a decent hour...

And now I´m chomping at the bit, because the book I ordered from Amazon is late in arriving...I´m reading too fast for my own good... :(

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 4:32 pm

I have that obsession too, though I'm lucky enough that I managed to use mine constructively...I'm writing a strange scifi novel about a girl with AS...

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 8:09 pm

I guess it's pretty much agreed that I should just go with it. It beats trying to fight it, because that just makes me bored and anxious. I have drawing too at least. That obsession has been there my whole life and I don't think it's going anywhere soon. Thanks! I'm gonna go read some more posts now...

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 8:23 pm

dustintorch wrote:
I guess it's pretty much agreed that I should just go with it. It beats trying to fight it, because that just makes me bored and anxious. I have drawing too at least. That obsession has been there my whole life and I don't think it's going anywhere soon. Thanks! I'm gonna go read some more posts now...

Hehe! Enjoy. :)

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2009, 7:23 pm

join the club...aspergers just recently became an obsession I mean I've always had it but now that i graduated college and am in the real world i feel it's finally time to fully come to terms with it. So this sites kinda become an obsession as well but it made me realize that if i read too many negative posts i get kinda down on myself which is weird because regularly i'm pretty upbeat...it probably means i'm relating everything negative that i read other people write about to me and that probably isn't good especially if it becomes part of an obsession.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2009, 7:30 pm

:lol: Ahhhh the obsessed about Asperger's and autism obsession.
I know that one well. It comes and goes. You'll notice some of us disappear for awhile only to come back again with a frenzy. :lol:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 7:43 pm

I wish I could just relax and enjoy it, but being obsessed with AS just goes against my personality. I feel like I'm constantly fighting myself, and I can't seem to enjoy my time on WP. But I can't get away.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 8:23 pm

I hope this one will disappear after I get diagnosed.
It's putting my life at peril. I have to concentrate on studying for grade 12 exams, yet I find myself on here again and again.
I feel like the more I get into this, the more I'm getting out of control. Good thing I have only 2 more exams left, and then I can enjoy spending entire days learning more about AS. :)
Gosh. Why can't I just get a diagnosis right now? It seems to be the only viable solution. But again, it might not even work.

I have 4 books on AS waiting for me on the shelf right now. After the exams are over, I will go at them like a predator goes after its prey. =D

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2009, 11:17 am

I am trying to get over my AS obsession by focusing on my main interest, medical. But since my interest is medical, especially my own health, I would find it difficult in overcoming the AS obsession. But I have written a book-like thing about how AS affects me. The one thing that makes me even more obsessed is that everyone around me, since I was younger, never understood me, so i had no choice but to obsess how AS does not allow me to be what they want me to be, but at the same time I have to remind them because I have AS that it does not affect my learning and how I can be independent and have the great things in life with As. I just can't do the whole relating to others,and giving in to other people's needs, especially emotionally. So my family and everyone around me is partially to blame for it.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 11:29 am

I have exactly the same problem. I read books about AS, read online info about AS, read articles linked from here, etc. and have for the past 3 years. I'm practically an expert on AS now and I wish I could stop and find another obsessive interest!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 12:17 pm

I have to find out what's going on and why I was assessed at such a young age.
I have to find out why people reacted to me in either an extremely positive or an extremely negative way.

I have to find out why people place such a heavy emphasis on social interaction skills these days and why lone working has been pathologised.

People have been hiding things from me, or at least it seems that way.

I have nothing else really to do at the moment, so I have no choice but to focus on it.
No one else can really help me, so I have to help myself.
All AS interventions so far in real life have been useless.
They haven't addressed the main issue, which I now believe is non-verbal communication processing and performing.

Human interaction is a two way process.
That's why I think that there should be studies done on how NTs react to AS people, because the NTs reaction does influence the eventual outcome of the social interaction.

I wonder if there are any studies showing NT emotional reactions to human faces with flat /out of sync affects?

The faces could include schizoid, schizotypal, autistic and schizophrenic personalities.

My guess would be that NTs would react to "blank" or out of sync faces with fear or awe.
I think this would be a hard wired gut reaction.

I believe this would be because the NT would have difficulty interpreting the emotional states of faces with "flat affect" and socially responding. The NT wouldn't know what to expect, hence would be confused. This could lead to the NT rejecting (fleeing) or bullying (fighting) the other person due to fear, unless a social/cultural structure or hierarchy was in place to prevent this from happening, or the other person did a useful job.

I also wonder if different personalities would respond to "blank"/"out of sync" faces in different ways?

I just wish that people had a more accurate definition of AS.
It does seem very wholly and rather imprecise at the moment.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2009, 12:35 pm

I am in the process at the moment it is quite infuriating yet interesting, I see it as a phase of self identity an gathering co-horts and meeting people with similar interest and learn your strengths and interests, once this procedure is complete I am going to write a book to raise awareness becase in england awareness is so low and shockingly there are a lot o suicides, I kno because unfortunately I was there once but after that I knew why becase I felt so different to people, I am so greatful for my inner humanity to actuaolly go to help in that moment, I want to help the AS community as much as poossable and really glad to have found this community.

Don't feel angry it is just curiosity you want to know why you are different, not obsessed