Anyone here rock back and forth when listening to music?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 12:09 pm

LOL, oh god i used to do that as a kid all the time, my mom has it on video and I ought to upload it on youtube to show you all.

It's ridiculous, as a kid I couldn't help it really at all. As I got older I eventually stopped though.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

28 May 2009, 1:56 pm

I usually either rock, or I have to get up and walk around. Or I get into a state where...this is going to sound very odd but it's the only way to describe it...I get so absorbed in the music that it's almost like I'm not there any more.

I often get the urge to dance to music in public places. Whether this makes me look a total idiot or not largely depends on the venue. OK at gigs, gets me some funny looks in the middle of HMV. :lol:

cav
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2009, 6:52 pm

I definitely rock when under a lot of stress and trying to sleep. My significant other (we live 6,000 miles apart which works best for me) tells me I rock at times but this was related recently and I was (silently and without expression) profoundly shocked so I have yet to ask when this was observed.
I would rock even more gleefully if I could have Dr. Seuss rhymes as accompaniment!

would you, could you, rock with a fox.
would you, could you, rock in a box.

would you, could you, rock with a mouse.
would you, could you, rock in a house.

I would rock with a rock.
I would rock in a sock.

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 7:51 pm

BelindatheNobody wrote:
^I like "Du Hast". Also "America".
Hmm. Maybe I should check out more of Rammstein's songs.

yeah, that's probably a good idea! ^_^ And 'Du Hast' was the song that introduced me to the band in the first place!

I think I get the rocking from my father's side of the family; you see, he has a blind cousin who, through all his life, rocked steadily back and forth while sitting. So when he observed my rocking as a toddler, he suspected that I might have some sort of handicap.

Me, I don't see it as a handicap...I see it as a comforter. Like I'm trying to find my warm little center when engulfed in media that makes me happy. 8)

Usagi1992

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:09 pm

I just realized that sometimes I listen to music so that I can rock. I don't remember rocking as a kid, but I think I knew early on that it was a weird behavior and I was so uncomfortable anyway. I foot tap, swing my leg, twiddle my thumbs, hair twirl, pace... depends on what I can get away with. I think I've been doing invisible rocking for a long time, where I just slightly move my back and stomach muscles so no one can detect the movement, so it's kind of a relief when I put on music and rock my whole body using my legs, too.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2009, 8:46 pm

This is what was ordered by me over the weekend so I can channel the impulse into something productive. If I'm going to be spazzing out to the music all the time, I might as well be doing it in proper time and develop a skill. People are less put off by stimming when you have music going all the time, so I've taken to having headphones at least around my neck keeping a beat when I can get away with it. Generates less stress than having to control it all the time so I don't offend somebodies delicate sensibilities. Heaven forbid Ma, that strange man won't stop one hand clapping, he must be a terrorist!

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:52 pm

Yes, I used to do this in choir while i was singing all the time. Got me in no end of trouble - the people on either side of me would get angry at me because I kept bumping into there (I'd sway from side to side rather than rocking back and forth).

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 4:15 am

yeah ...

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 12:30 pm

yea i listen to the same song over and over and get more excited as it repeats and even rock more, sometimes i rock so hard in the car i move the whole car, i can be violent with rocking without even realizing haha, and sometimes i try to sing and i sing in monotone haha, but always rock someway when listenin to music

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 5:38 pm

Funny, I was just about to ask this question- and you beat me to it! At least now I got the answers... :)

I notice I often stim to music, it´s like my body has to follow the rhythm of the music. And when I´m sitting on the floor, or a chair with no back, I rock to the music. If I´m sitting on a chair with a back, I often move my fingers around in circles, or I cross my leg and twirl my foot.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2009, 5:57 pm

All of my stim behaviors are associated with external sensory stimulus. It is a way of adding context to process and organize the data. A construction worker is hammering nails, pliiink pliiink pliink, pliiinktuh pliinktuh. My thumb twitches in a corresponding movement, automatically predicting the rate at which the worker must be swinging the hammer based on distance from me, environment the sound travels through, and the qualities of the sound in my ear. Yah that sounds like a normal claw hammer on roofing nails from that distance given the direct path of the sound to me. 200 yards across a parking lot, mild breeze across them towards me, pitch is just a little elevated and there is a much subdued end THUMP quality when the hammer is striking the roof as opposed to if he were say putting wallboard up.

I don't know how to turn it off so I've just tried to find a way to organize it all and keep the not so important stuff quickly feeding into a database of "not yet indexed" as oposed to the stuff I index for later use. Music comes with a guidebook. I'm learning all the rules to music so that I can just incorporate that system into my index and use it to categorize and sort my mental database.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 6:25 pm

before I realized that I turn music on so that I can rock, I noticed that I was having a hard time keeping rhythm while trying to learn to play the ukulele (not naturally talented in that area, wistful sigh) but then I decided instead of trying to use a foot tap to keep time, I should use my whole body, so now I rock when I play. for some reason it really helps. when I told my instructor, he said "whatever works is good".

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2009, 6:40 pm

You turn your body into a living metronome. If you tap into your sense of touch, establish the rate of motion and the end points of the motion, you just "feel" the correct time of whatever music you are listening to. One-and-Two-and-Thee-and-Four-and. One Note represents one movement from upright position into side position, back to upright, into other side, and back to upright. Upright, Side, Upright, Side on the counts, movements between positions during -and- counts. If you are more comfortable doing halves or doubles, go for it. Do the motion with whatever part of your body you feel most able to let just keep the count on it's own and the rest of you can play your instrument. As a drummer I keep time with my right hand on the High-hat, or keep half time on the kick bass. When I am in a pause section, I start nodding my head to the count so I don't lose the tempo.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:13 pm

I rock and tap my feet. I got rhythm, I got rhythm. Who could ask for anything more?

ruveyn

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:17 pm

that's awesome. a living metronome. I like it :)

now I'm not feeling so weird about some of the things I do, maybe they'll actually help me. I'm just so used to blocking them, I still feel self-conscious about letting my body do things it wants to.

I caught myself tapping my face in time to music today and started to stop myself, then I thought what the big deal? and kept doing it. the earth didn't end.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2009, 9:13 pm

I'm sure everybody has heard it before. Turn your Weakness into a Strength. If I'm going to rock, I'm going to Rock Out.