WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 27

"I'm not dead, yet." -- "Get on the cart"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Social Skills and Making Friends     
QuillBilly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 19
Location: Duncannon, PA

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: "I'm not dead, yet." -- "Get on the cart" Reply with quote

I'm an organ donor. I'm proud to be an organ donor. I like to think that when I die, something good can come of it.

I just had a conversation in which I was called an idiot for having the symbol on my driver license. They insisted that sharing that means doctors won't make as much effort to save you since they can make more money from your parts than your life.

I said that I have to believe otherwise.

They said, "I'm not trying to insult you, but if you believe that, you're deluded." Then they went on to say how they have been on both sides of the medical profession and had seen it first hand.

I saw a no-win argument and said nothing more, but I have to believe that people in medical fields are there because they want to keep me alive. Otherwise, how can I trust them at all?

As I half-listened to their lengthy story, I kept thinking what a morbid and pessimistic view of humanity. Personally, I have to believe that there is compassion and civility in more than not or I see little reason to continue this world.

Do good and be a good example. Optimism can be contagious. Cool
_________________
Billy Conquills
Aspie score: 117 of 200
NT score: 66 of 200
Very likely an Aspie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faithfilly
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 28, 2007
Posts: 720

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I'd catch optimism, but the older and wiser I get, the more it eludes me. Confused In hindsight, the world's pattern is splitting in two. There's the side that's for show and then there's one hidden by deception and/or denial.

It's more comfortable to see things how we'd like to see them than it is to see them as they really are, especially for those who don't have faith in God being sovereign.
_________________
"Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the LORD. “This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.” – Isaiah 66:2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl


Joined: Jan 14, 2012
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: "I'm not dead, yet." -- "Get on the cart& Reply with quote

QuillBilly wrote:
I just had a conversation in which I was called an idiot for having the symbol on my driver license. They insisted that sharing that means doctors won't make as much effort to save you since they can make more money from your parts than your life.


That's nonsense. If you were injured a doctor would make every effort to get you well. It's their job and for some, their calling. Also, if you have life threatening injuries, I don't think they'll be rooting through your wallet until they've stabilised you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17787
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people. Though I don't know that they actually try less hard to help if you're an organ donar, I mean its possible but I am sure that would be illegal or something so people in that field could do that but it would be illegal.....at least I hope well and I'd hope not to run into such health care professionals.
_________________
Winter is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
book_noodles
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Age: 21
Posts: 953

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people.

You have no way of knowing that.

From what I've experienced, and from what I feel, I don't think that medical professionals will just scrap you for organs if you're severely injured.
_________________
"If you look deeply emough into any person's soul, you can see the emu within them struggling to get out. Actually, most people don't have emus in their soul. Just me." - Invisible Dave, Lady of Emus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17787
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

book_noodles wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people.

You have no way of knowing that.

From what I've experienced, and from what I feel, I don't think that medical professionals will just scrap you for organs if you're severely injured.


You seriously don't think there are people in the medical profession that are more in it for the money than anything else? From what I've learned I can't trust the system. There are some good health professionals and there are some corrupt ones, its just how things are from my perspective. But as I said I don't think they'd do that either, I am just saying humans are not incapable of doing things like that...and not all humans follow laws against murder.
_________________
Winter is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
invisibubble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Mar 16, 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to organ donation what scares me is those stories that come up occasionally where someone was considered brain dead but as they were being prepped for organ harvesting they woke up. I've decided to leave it to my partner and family to make that choice for me if it ever comes up. If I say I want to be an organ donor it might speed the process to organ donation up but if its for my family to decide it might buy me more time to recover if that's what I'm going to do. I think if doctors know they've got a donor they might be likely to write someone off sooner... I'm not saying I think doctors are corrupt (although I absolutely acknowledge that some would be) but if they know they have a willing organ donor they might start to think ahead to organ donation rather than focusing on the right now and whether they can do more for you or whether you should get a bit more time to just wait and see.

Last edited by invisibubble on Thu May 03, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaptainTrips222
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 3125

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetleaf wrote:
book_noodles wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people.

You have no way of knowing that.

From what I've experienced, and from what I feel, I don't think that medical professionals will just scrap you for organs if you're severely injured.


You seriously don't think there are people in the medical profession that are more in it for the money than anything else? From what I've learned I can't trust the system.


I think most of the doctors are on the up-and-up. It's the HMO insurance companies that are shady, and they pressure care givers into under diagnosing and looking the other way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17787
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
book_noodles wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people.

You have no way of knowing that.

From what I've experienced, and from what I feel, I don't think that medical professionals will just scrap you for organs if you're severely injured.


You seriously don't think there are people in the medical profession that are more in it for the money than anything else? From what I've learned I can't trust the system.


I think most of the doctors are on the up-and-up. It's the HMO insurance companies that are shady, and they pressure care givers into under diagnosing and looking the other way.


Oh yes that is a factor as well.
_________________
Winter is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NicoleG
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Dec 26, 2011
Age: 38
Posts: 667
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "I'm not dead, yet." -- "Get on the cart& Reply with quote

QuillBilly wrote:
They said, "I'm not trying to insult you, but ..."


I'm not trying to be mean, but...
I'm not trying to cause a stir, but...
I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up, but...

ANY time someone phrases a sentence like this, EVERYTHING that comes after the "but" is EXACTLY what the first half of the sentence is trying to warn against. This is a form of subtle verbal abuse by means of invalidation. This person was most definitely being insulting and belittling of your own thoughts and beliefs. It doesn't matter which of you is right and which is wrong, and quite frankly, it's probably a little of both. The fact that this person was discounting you out of hand gave you every right to start ignoring them.

Regarding the specific dilemma, some doctors are out for the money and some are out for actually helping others. I have no idea what the percentage is, but I would hope the bulk of them are out for helping their patient above making the moolah. Unless you are unconscious or in dire need of immediate medical assistance and don't feel that you have the time to spare, you are always welcome to get a second opinion if you feel that the doctor treating you might not have your health as his/her first concern when dealing with you. Ironically, even the doctors who are in it for the money are likely to still care about your health and treatment, but they will offer treatments based on who's pharmaceutical company's pocket they're in - this is notably unethical, but it does occur. If you are unsure of the diagnosis or treatment being offered, seek a second or even third opinion.

Arm yourself with knowledge. Understand what being a donor entails, what will happen to your body after you die, and who, if anyone, benefits from your decision.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
QuillBilly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 19
Location: Duncannon, PA

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nicole. That was a very nicely stated and supported response. I appreciate that.

I was upset when they said it and posted mainly to vent, but your post did well to shore up my feelings and firm my stance.

We have to give doctors and nurses a certain amount trust, so they can do their jobs, while keeping ourselves informed about our own health.
Being an organ donor can save many lives and there are plenty of safeguards to protect people on both sides. Primarily, the doctor with the patient seeking a donation cannot be involved in declaration of the donor. Also, declaration of death of a donor requires two separate doctors, neither related to the transplant.
While some may think greed could influence a doctor's decisions, I'd say that's about as likely as getting mugged and waking up in a bathtub minus a kidney.

Cool
_________________
Billy Conquills
Aspie score: 117 of 200
NT score: 66 of 200
Very likely an Aspie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Janissy
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: May 06, 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 5776

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "I'm not dead, yet." -- "Get on the cart& Reply with quote

QuillBilly wrote:
. They insisted that sharing that means doctors won't make as much effort to save you since they can make more money from your parts than your life.
.........

They said, "I'm not trying to insult you, but if you believe that, you're deluded." Then they went on to say how they have been on both sides of the medical profession and had seen it first hand.

)


Contrary to what your friend says or claims to have seen, doctors neither get paid for organs nor do they get bonuses for letting somebody die and then using their organs on somebody else. Although there is an organ black market (as there is a black market for everything), you have not accidentally opted into this black market by being an organ donor. The emergency care you recieve will be unaffected by your kind choice to be an organ donor.

I am an organ donor too. And a medical professional. Your friend is wrong. You have made a compassionate choice and if you ever wind up in emergency care, this choice will NOT cause doctors to let you die.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enrico_dandolo
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Posts: 866

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why kill a Westerner when there are so many good Chinese organs on the black market?

Also, there is a very large difference between "in it for the money [and social status]" and "in it to actively murder patients so as to make a few extra bucks".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17787
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrico_dandolo wrote:
Why kill a Westerner when there are so many good Chinese organs on the black market?

Also, there is a very large difference between "in it for the money [and social status]" and "in it to actively murder patients so as to make a few extra bucks".


Well no crap but that does not prevent sadists who would murder patients from become doctors...is all I am saying, I mean the chances of that might be a little low but there is always that possibility.
_________________
Winter is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Janissy
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: May 06, 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 5776

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetleaf wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
Why kill a Westerner when there are so many good Chinese organs on the black market?

Also, there is a very large difference between "in it for the money [and social status]" and "in it to actively murder patients so as to make a few extra bucks".


Well no crap but that does not prevent sadists who would murder patients from become doctors...is all I am saying, I mean the chances of that might be a little low but there is always that possibility.


It is a possibility. But the possibility of running into such a doctor is not increased by becoming an organ donor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Social Skills and Making Friends   

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art