WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 4
New Yesterday: 19

A Question about Adam and Eve... 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion     
lostonearth35
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 06, 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 1681
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: A Question about Adam and Eve... Reply with quote

If Adam and Eve really were the first man and woman in the entire world and had the first children in the world, who did their kids get married and have kids with? I don't really believe in the Bible story, but if it was true that would mean every future generation must be inbred. Smile
...Actually, that would explain a lot. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sand
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 16, 2007
Posts: 11852
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: A Question about Adam and Eve... Reply with quote

lostonearth35 wrote:
If Adam and Eve really were the first man and woman in the entire world and had the first children in the world, who did their kids get married and have kids with? I don't really believe in the Bible story, but if it was true that would mean every future generation must be inbred. Smile
...Actually, that would explain a lot. Wink


The royalty of ancient Egypt was inbred. If there are no defective genes in the line there is no problem. But I never heard of Adam and Eve having daughters. That's something more of a problem than inbreeding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnus
Happy Anarchy Day
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 25, 2008
Posts: 2703
Location: Claremont, California

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnostics believe that Adam and Eve were not the original man and woman from whom all other life came, but merely representations of two intrapsychic principles found inside every human being.

Quote:
Adam and Eve

The arrogant one wanted to recreate the image of God (Spirit) from the reflection of the water, and many archons and angels were involved in the creation of this image. Yaldabaoth tried to create a being in the likeness of the First Man, whom he called Adam or Adama, so he could steal the light (spirit). But his creation was lifeless and without a soul.

To regain her power, Sophia asked the Spirit and Barbelo to aid her. They counsel Yaldabaoth to blow the spirit into the face, so that the body would waken. Yaldabaoth ignorantly blew on the face, so that the spirit and the power of his mother (Sophia) left Yaldabaoth's own body and entered into the body he had created: Adam became alive.

(Though, according to the The Hypostasis of the Archons and On the Origin of the World, Yaldabaoth blew and blew, but his breath into the body, but the body wouldn't rise. The purpose was to put the image (soul) of God into physical body so that they can capture it.)

Yaldabaoth immediately became jealous, because his creation was more powerful and intelligent than him and the other archons. When they brought all sort of animals to Adam, he was able to name each species by their proper names. When they saw that Adam was also luminous and free of evil, they cast him into the lowest plane of existence (Earth).

But Barbelo sent Adam a helper, Epinoia, who was also known as Life (Zoe), so that Epinoia can help Sophia regain her power and place. Eponoia was hidden within Adam's body. Epinoia secretly gave him the knowledge of how he was created, and taught Adam of how to ascent back to the Pleroma, or the true home of the light (human spirit).

The archons want to confine Adam, so they imprisoned his soul in flesh, and the material body was made mortal. They placed Adam in the earthly paradise (the Garden of Eden), and bound Adam in sleep and place the bond of forgetfulness upon him.

In Adam's sleep, Yaldabaoth tried to bring Epinoia out of Adam's body from the rib. However, Epinoia escaped, and the chief archon created another body from the image of the likeness of Epinoia. The new body was a woman, and she didn't come from Adam's rib bone like in the Genesis. Epinoia enter the newly created body.

The woman woke first, and saw Adam lying beside her. She spoke with the voice of power "Arise, Adam.", and Adam woke. Since Yaldabaoth had placed spell of ignorant upon Adam when he was sleeping, so that he would not know the gnosis. The moment Adam woke from the unnatural slumber, he thought that the woman had given him life; he said to the woman:
"It is you who have given me life; you will be called 'mother of the living'."
The Hypostasis of the Archons

When Adam woke from his sleep, he saw the woman; he thought. Her real name was Zoe, which means "Life", but as we all know her in the Genesis, Adam called her Eve.

The chief archon wanted to remain Adam and Eve ignorant, putting them in the false paradise, hoping to keep them as his slave and worship him. So Yaldabaoth told Adam that he may eat any fruit in the garden, but warning him not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge. Yaldabaoth's plan was thwarted.

However the fruit of truth would allow them to see the truth, so Jesus told John, and that it was he who brought them the apples to eat, not any serpent (like they say in the Genesis).

The archons placed a curse upon the snake, as well as on Adam and Eve for disobeying them.

Angry with their disobedience, Yaldabaoth put them out of the Garden of Eden. Yaldabaoth saw that Epinoia was within Eve, so that she was luminous. When Yaldabaoth saw that Eve was faithful to Adam, the archon snatched Eve. But Epinoia escaped again, leaving Eve's physical body before Yaldabaoth raped Eve, and begot two sons upon her. The sons of Yaldabaoth and Eve were named Eloim and Yave, whom we know by their names as Cain and Abel. But in the other Gnostic texts, only Cain was Yaldabaoth's son, while Abel was Adam's.

Family of Adam, according to The Apocryphon of John


http://www.timelessmyths.com/mirrors/gnostic.php

Family of Adam, according to The Apocryphon of John

The results of the rape, Yaldabaoth planted sexual desire into the human race, so that he would have more people to have his counterfeit spirit, who were susceptible to his blandishment and fall into sins and wickedness.

According to the The Hypostasis of the Archons, Yaldabaoth had raped Eve, before Adam and Eve ate the apple from the Tree of Knowledge. When Epinoia left Eve's body before ravishment, the spirit (Epinoia) entered the snake, who encouraged Eve and Adam to eat the forbidden fruits.

Like in the Genesis, Cain killed his brother Abel, and God cursed Cain for the murderous deed.

Adam's real son was Seth, the son of man. Eve said
"I have borne another man through God, in place of Abel."
The Hypostasis of the Archons

It is from Seth's descendants who would possess the gnosis. The Apocryphon of John went on to say, Sophia prepared a place for the souls in heaven, where Jesus, the incarnation of the aeon Christ would disclose the true knowledge of how to return to their true home in with the Spirit (in pleroma), where they would ascend past the rulers (archons) and be healed of all deficiency and become holy and faultless.

In some Gnostic literature, Seth played a major role.

Here, The Apocryphon of John ended, but The Hypostasis of the Archons continued. The Hypostasis of the Archons is actually quite different in detail, and can be supplemented with another longer text, known as On the Origin of the World.


_________________
As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other.

-Pythagoras
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sand
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 16, 2007
Posts: 11852
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
The Gnostics believe that Adam and Eve were not the original man and woman from whom all other life came, but merely representations of two intrapsychic principles found inside every human being.

Quote:
Adam and Eve

The arrogant one wanted to recreate the image of God (Spirit) from the reflection of the water, and many archons and angels were involved in the creation of this image. Yaldabaoth tried to create a being in the likeness of the First Man, whom he called Adam or Adama, so he could steal the light (spirit). But his creation was lifeless and without a soul.

To regain her power, Sophia asked the Spirit and Barbelo to aid her. They counsel Yaldabaoth to blow the spirit into the face, so that the body would waken. Yaldabaoth ignorantly blew on the face, so that the spirit and the power of his mother (Sophia) left Yaldabaoth's own body and entered into the body he had created: Adam became alive.

(Though, according to the The Hypostasis of the Archons and On the Origin of the World, Yaldabaoth blew and blew, but his breath into the body, but the body wouldn't rise. The purpose was to put the image (soul) of God into physical body so that they can capture it.)

Yaldabaoth immediately became jealous, because his creation was more powerful and intelligent than him and the other archons. When they brought all sort of animals to Adam, he was able to name each species by their proper names. When they saw that Adam was also luminous and free of evil, they cast him into the lowest plane of existence (Earth).

But Barbelo sent Adam a helper, Epinoia, who was also known as Life (Zoe), so that Epinoia can help Sophia regain her power and place. Eponoia was hidden within Adam's body. Epinoia secretly gave him the knowledge of how he was created, and taught Adam of how to ascent back to the Pleroma, or the true home of the light (human spirit).

The archons want to confine Adam, so they imprisoned his soul in flesh, and the material body was made mortal. They placed Adam in the earthly paradise (the Garden of Eden), and bound Adam in sleep and place the bond of forgetfulness upon him.

In Adam's sleep, Yaldabaoth tried to bring Epinoia out of Adam's body from the rib. However, Epinoia escaped, and the chief archon created another body from the image of the likeness of Epinoia. The new body was a woman, and she didn't come from Adam's rib bone like in the Genesis. Epinoia enter the newly created body.

The woman woke first, and saw Adam lying beside her. She spoke with the voice of power "Arise, Adam.", and Adam woke. Since Yaldabaoth had placed spell of ignorant upon Adam when he was sleeping, so that he would not know the gnosis. The moment Adam woke from the unnatural slumber, he thought that the woman had given him life; he said to the woman:
"It is you who have given me life; you will be called 'mother of the living'."
The Hypostasis of the Archons

When Adam woke from his sleep, he saw the woman; he thought. Her real name was Zoe, which means "Life", but as we all know her in the Genesis, Adam called her Eve.

The chief archon wanted to remain Adam and Eve ignorant, putting them in the false paradise, hoping to keep them as his slave and worship him. So Yaldabaoth told Adam that he may eat any fruit in the garden, but warning him not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge. Yaldabaoth's plan was thwarted.

However the fruit of truth would allow them to see the truth, so Jesus told John, and that it was he who brought them the apples to eat, not any serpent (like they say in the Genesis).

The archons placed a curse upon the snake, as well as on Adam and Eve for disobeying them.

Angry with their disobedience, Yaldabaoth put them out of the Garden of Eden. Yaldabaoth saw that Epinoia was within Eve, so that she was luminous. When Yaldabaoth saw that Eve was faithful to Adam, the archon snatched Eve. But Epinoia escaped again, leaving Eve's physical body before Yaldabaoth raped Eve, and begot two sons upon her. The sons of Yaldabaoth and Eve were named Eloim and Yave, whom we know by their names as Cain and Abel. But in the other Gnostic texts, only Cain was Yaldabaoth's son, while Abel was Adam's.

Family of Adam, according to The Apocryphon of John


http://www.timelessmyths.com/mirrors/gnostic.php

Family of Adam, according to The Apocryphon of John

The results of the rape, Yaldabaoth planted sexual desire into the human race, so that he would have more people to have his counterfeit spirit, who were susceptible to his blandishment and fall into sins and wickedness.

According to the The Hypostasis of the Archons, Yaldabaoth had raped Eve, before Adam and Eve ate the apple from the Tree of Knowledge. When Epinoia left Eve's body before ravishment, the spirit (Epinoia) entered the snake, who encouraged Eve and Adam to eat the forbidden fruits.

Like in the Genesis, Cain killed his brother Abel, and God cursed Cain for the murderous deed.

Adam's real son was Seth, the son of man. Eve said
"I have borne another man through God, in place of Abel."
The Hypostasis of the Archons

It is from Seth's descendants who would possess the gnosis. The Apocryphon of John went on to say, Sophia prepared a place for the souls in heaven, where Jesus, the incarnation of the aeon Christ would disclose the true knowledge of how to return to their true home in with the Spirit (in pleroma), where they would ascend past the rulers (archons) and be healed of all deficiency and become holy and faultless.

In some Gnostic literature, Seth played a major role.

Here, The Apocryphon of John ended, but The Hypostasis of the Archons continued. The Hypostasis of the Archons is actually quite different in detail, and can be supplemented with another longer text, known as On the Origin of the World.



That's a lot of apples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnus
Happy Anarchy Day
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 25, 2008
Posts: 2703
Location: Claremont, California

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these apples:

http://www.gnosis.org/genesis.html
Quote:

"The Gnostic Christians who authored the Nag Hammadi scriptures did not read Genesis as history with a moral, but as a myth with a meaning. To them, Adam and Eve were not actual historical figures, but representatives of two intrapsychic principles within every human being. Adam was the dramatic embodiment of psyche, or soul, while Eve stood for the pneuma, or spirit. Soul, to the Gnostics, meant the embodiment of the emotional and thinking functions of the personality, while spirit represented the human capacity for spiritual consciousness. The former was the lesser self (the ego of depth psychology), the latter the transcendental function, or the "higher self," as it is sometimes known. Obviously, Eve, then, is by nature superior to Adam, rather than his inferior as implied by orthodoxy.

Nowhere is Eve's superiority and numinous power more evident than in her role as Adam's awakener. Adam is in a deep sleep, from which Eve's liberating call arouses him. While the orthodox version has Eve physically emerge from Adam's body, the Gnostic rendering has the spiritual principle known as Eve emerging from the unconscious depths of the somnolent Adam. Before she thus emerges into liberating consciousness, Eve calls forth to the sleeping Adam in the following manner, as stated by the Gnostic Apocryphon of John:

I entered into the midst of the dungeon which is the prison of the body. And I spoke thus: "He who hears, let him arise from the deep sleep." And then he (Adam) wept and shed tears. After he wiped away his bitter tears he spoke, asking: "Who is it that calls my name, and whence has this hope come unto me, while I am in the chains of this prison?" And I spoke thus: "I am the Pronoia of the pure light; I am the thought of the undefiled spirit. . . . Arise and remember . . . and follow your root, which is I . . . and beware of the deep sleep."


My favorite interpretation of the Adam and Eve story is the one in the Nag Hamadi. It reminds me of the Greek Daphne myth.
_________________
As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other.

-Pythagoras
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
iamtre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse


Joined: Jan 14, 2010
Age: 31
Posts: 49
Location: New Jersey....near Philadelphia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In jewish folklore adam actually had a first wife lillith.
Adam and Eve did have daughters and other sons. I'm not 100% sure it is in the "Bible" (torah) but again is in additional literature.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull


Joined: Sep 30, 2009
Posts: 215
Location: southern oregon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love all the analytical minds here , this is something I wondered as a child and asked too many questions in Sunday school they actually kicked me out for questioning Adam and Eve.
I had always seen the story in a symbolic and mythic way never of course literally though I had no idea there was a different version thank you for sharing these now i must go research Gnostics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zer0netgain
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 03, 2009
Posts: 6310

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us work from the premise that Adam and Eve were the first two humans. Some points to consider.

1. The concept of inbreeding is based on current biology. We like to think that humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder and hence have the most complex of the DNA strands, but in truth, much lower forms of life have more chromosome pairs than humans. Odd since we are so specialized by comparison. Perhaps the early humans were more "evolved" on the DNA level and multiple generations of inbreeding had no ill effect. Likewise, environmental changes since the dawn of creation may have damaged human DNA to the point that inbreeding produces problems where it previously had not. Since we can't examine a living person from that time, we will never know.

2. Since both in the garden and after the great flood God ordered man to be fruitful and multiply, it is possible the dangers of inbreeding for several generations was negated by supernatural means.

3. There is contention that Adam and Eve had many kids but only their first two sons (Cain and Able) were documented in the Bible. This would be consistent as the Bible does chronicle the lives of men in greater detail and more frequently than it tends to focus on women. Remember Lot's wife? She had a name, but nobody saw fit to record that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iamnotaparakeet
Martian
Phoenix


Joined: Aug 01, 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 25257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A Question about Adam and Eve... Reply with quote

Sand wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
If Adam and Eve really were the first man and woman in the entire world and had the first children in the world, who did their kids get married and have kids with? I don't really believe in the Bible story, but if it was true that would mean every future generation must be inbred. Smile
...Actually, that would explain a lot. Wink


The royalty of ancient Egypt was inbred. If there are no defective genes in the line there is no problem. But I never heard of Adam and Eve having daughters. That's something more of a problem than inbreeding.


Perhaps reading a bit further than Genesis 1:1 would have solved that particular inopia,

Genesis 5:3-4 KJV
(3) And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
(4) And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Descartes
Desk Arts
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Age: 23
Posts: 6119
Location: Arlington, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, Eve, and their children did commit incest in order to generate the human species, meaning that the Garden of Eden was somewhere outside Little Rock.

I heard that off a comedy show. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MissConstrue
~Meow Clawdius~
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 05, 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 19686
Location: Missouri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard before Eve there was Lilith in the Old Testament.

Perhaps scribes didn't want to upset the status quo by including Adam and Lilith's kids. Maybe after they broke up and Eve was squeezed out of Adam's rib, Lilith found herself a real man....the devil. So in essence the sons of Adam and Eve were tempted by the temptress's daughters thus they begot kids who suffered mild symptoms of achondroplasia.
_________________
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
-Thomas Paine




Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjs82
Majestic Lord of the Sock Puppets
Majestic Lord of the Sock Puppets


Joined: Jun 21, 2005
Posts: 3167

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zer0netgain wrote:
Let us work from the premise that Adam and Eve were the first two humans. Some points to consider.

1. The concept of inbreeding is based on current biology. We like to think that humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder and hence have the most complex of the DNA strands, but in truth, much lower forms of life have more chromosome pairs than humans. Odd since we are so specialized by comparison. Perhaps the early humans were more "evolved" on the DNA level and multiple generations of inbreeding had no ill effect. Likewise, environmental changes since the dawn of creation may have damaged human DNA to the point that inbreeding produces problems where it previously had not. Since we can't examine a living person from that time, we will never know.

2. Since both in the garden and after the great flood God ordered man to be fruitful and multiply, it is possible the dangers of inbreeding for several generations was negated by supernatural means.

3. There is contention that Adam and Eve had many kids but only their first two sons (Cain and Able) were documented in the Bible. This would be consistent as the Bible does chronicle the lives of men in greater detail and more frequently than it tends to focus on women. Remember Lot's wife? She had a name, but nobody saw fit to record that.


Well if you want to bring DNA into it, if you go back to the time of the Olduvai near-extinction where mankind was almost wiped out - genetically all humans are related to one female 'eve' and seven male 'adam's - that's why racism is so stupid. Everybody is related - inbreeding is the perctipibility to genetic mutation over time by said mutations being passed on from parent to child. If you build up enough hereditary mutation in your family tree line, then that risk naturally increases. There's a biological imperitive to breed as far away from your genetic line. There's been famous cases of family tree collapse - particularly in the German monarchy line.

As for the Bible, I think it should be read with a degree of open-mindness and open-spirit. When major players are said to have lived for 900 years etc - that was written before the use of our current calendar - so why assume 1 year = 365 days. And genesis says light was divided from day - before the 'ground' i.e. Earth was created - so why would we assume it was a 24 hour day? A day to God could be a trillion years for all we know.

It's a script for people trying to understand big mysteries. It's a faith textbook, not a science textbook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sand
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 16, 2007
Posts: 11852
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjs82 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Let us work from the premise that Adam and Eve were the first two humans. Some points to consider.

1. The concept of inbreeding is based on current biology. We like to think that humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder and hence have the most complex of the DNA strands, but in truth, much lower forms of life have more chromosome pairs than humans. Odd since we are so specialized by comparison. Perhaps the early humans were more "evolved" on the DNA level and multiple generations of inbreeding had no ill effect. Likewise, environmental changes since the dawn of creation may have damaged human DNA to the point that inbreeding produces problems where it previously had not. Since we can't examine a living person from that time, we will never know.

2. Since both in the garden and after the great flood God ordered man to be fruitful and multiply, it is possible the dangers of inbreeding for several generations was negated by supernatural means.

3. There is contention that Adam and Eve had many kids but only their first two sons (Cain and Able) were documented in the Bible. This would be consistent as the Bible does chronicle the lives of men in greater detail and more frequently than it tends to focus on women. Remember Lot's wife? She had a name, but nobody saw fit to record that.


Well if you want to bring DNA into it, if you go back to the time of the Olduvai near-extinction where mankind was almost wiped out - genetically all humans are related to one female 'eve' and seven male 'adam's - that's why racism is so stupid. Everybody is related - inbreeding is the perctipibility to genetic mutation over time by said mutations being passed on from parent to child. If you build up enough hereditary mutation in your family tree line, then that risk naturally increases. There's a biological imperitive to breed as far away from your genetic line. There's been famous cases of family tree collapse - particularly in the German monarchy line.

As for the Bible, I think it should be read with a degree of open-mindness and open-spirit. When major players are said to have lived for 900 years etc - that was written before the use of our current calendar - so why assume 1 year = 365 days. And genesis says light was divided from day - before the 'ground' i.e. Earth was created - so why would we assume it was a 24 hour day? A day to God could be a trillion years for all we know.

It's a script for people trying to understand big mysteries. It's a faith textbook, not a science textbook.


A day is the time it takes Earth to spin once on it's axis. There are other names for other periods of time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjs82
Majestic Lord of the Sock Puppets
Majestic Lord of the Sock Puppets


Joined: Jun 21, 2005
Posts: 3167

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand wrote:
mjs82 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Let us work from the premise that Adam and Eve were the first two humans. Some points to consider.

1. The concept of inbreeding is based on current biology. We like to think that humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder and hence have the most complex of the DNA strands, but in truth, much lower forms of life have more chromosome pairs than humans. Odd since we are so specialized by comparison. Perhaps the early humans were more "evolved" on the DNA level and multiple generations of inbreeding had no ill effect. Likewise, environmental changes since the dawn of creation may have damaged human DNA to the point that inbreeding produces problems where it previously had not. Since we can't examine a living person from that time, we will never know.

2. Since both in the garden and after the great flood God ordered man to be fruitful and multiply, it is possible the dangers of inbreeding for several generations was negated by supernatural means.

3. There is contention that Adam and Eve had many kids but only their first two sons (Cain and Able) were documented in the Bible. This would be consistent as the Bible does chronicle the lives of men in greater detail and more frequently than it tends to focus on women. Remember Lot's wife? She had a name, but nobody saw fit to record that.


Well if you want to bring DNA into it, if you go back to the time of the Olduvai near-extinction where mankind was almost wiped out - genetically all humans are related to one female 'eve' and seven male 'adam's - that's why racism is so stupid. Everybody is related - inbreeding is the perctipibility to genetic mutation over time by said mutations being passed on from parent to child. If you build up enough hereditary mutation in your family tree line, then that risk naturally increases. There's a biological imperitive to breed as far away from your genetic line. There's been famous cases of family tree collapse - particularly in the German monarchy line.

As for the Bible, I think it should be read with a degree of open-mindness and open-spirit. When major players are said to have lived for 900 years etc - that was written before the use of our current calendar - so why assume 1 year = 365 days. And genesis says light was divided from day - before the 'ground' i.e. Earth was created - so why would we assume it was a 24 hour day? A day to God could be a trillion years for all we know.

It's a script for people trying to understand big mysteries. It's a faith textbook, not a science textbook.


A day is the time it takes Earth to spin once on it's axis. There are other names for other periods of time.


There was no ground on the first day, therefore there was no Earth to spin on its axis, therefore the first day couldn't have been equal to our present length of time.

A day is the length of time it takes for any planet to spin once on it's own axis. Mercury is about 58 earth days. Jupiter is about 9 hours. How can the first day have equalled 24 hours if the Earth wasn't even formed yet? Also there were no people around to witness this event - only God.

The axial spin rate on Earth actually slowed when the moon was formed and is still slowing down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sand
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 16, 2007
Posts: 11852
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjs82 wrote:
Sand wrote:
mjs82 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Let us work from the premise that Adam and Eve were the first two humans. Some points to consider.

1. The concept of inbreeding is based on current biology. We like to think that humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder and hence have the most complex of the DNA strands, but in truth, much lower forms of life have more chromosome pairs than humans. Odd since we are so specialized by comparison. Perhaps the early humans were more "evolved" on the DNA level and multiple generations of inbreeding had no ill effect. Likewise, environmental changes since the dawn of creation may have damaged human DNA to the point that inbreeding produces problems where it previously had not. Since we can't examine a living person from that time, we will never know.

2. Since both in the garden and after the great flood God ordered man to be fruitful and multiply, it is possible the dangers of inbreeding for several generations was negated by supernatural means.

3. There is contention that Adam and Eve had many kids but only their first two sons (Cain and Able) were documented in the Bible. This would be consistent as the Bible does chronicle the lives of men in greater detail and more frequently than it tends to focus on women. Remember Lot's wife? She had a name, but nobody saw fit to record that.


Well if you want to bring DNA into it, if you go back to the time of the Olduvai near-extinction where mankind was almost wiped out - genetically all humans are related to one female 'eve' and seven male 'adam's - that's why racism is so stupid. Everybody is related - inbreeding is the perctipibility to genetic mutation over time by said mutations being passed on from parent to child. If you build up enough hereditary mutation in your family tree line, then that risk naturally increases. There's a biological imperitive to breed as far away from your genetic line. There's been famous cases of family tree collapse - particularly in the German monarchy line.

As for the Bible, I think it should be read with a degree of open-mindness and open-spirit. When major players are said to have lived for 900 years etc - that was written before the use of our current calendar - so why assume 1 year = 365 days. And genesis says light was divided from day - before the 'ground' i.e. Earth was created - so why would we assume it was a 24 hour day? A day to God could be a trillion years for all we know.

It's a script for people trying to understand big mysteries. It's a faith textbook, not a science textbook.


A day is the time it takes Earth to spin once on it's axis. There are other names for other periods of time.


There was no ground on the first day, therefore there was no Earth to spin on its axis, therefore the first day couldn't have been equal to our present length of time.

A day is the length of time it takes for any planet to spin once on it's own axis. Mercury is about 58 earth days. Jupiter is about 9 hours. How can the first day have equalled 24 hours if the Earth wasn't even formed yet? Also there were no people around to witness this event - only God.

The axial spin rate on Earth actually slowed when the moon was formed and is still slowing down.


To assume that the Bible was written for a planet that had a different rate of spin is quite interesting. Any other interplanetary references?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion   
1, 2  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art