WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 15

How to respond to playfully inappropriate comments? 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
oshibka
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Feb 20, 2010
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: How to respond to playfully inappropriate comments? Reply with quote

So I've had some experiences with friends when we are just goofing around talking about something, and I might say something sarcastic, and someone responds to me with something vulgar like "F--- you" or "Go f--- yourself". Now, they say stuff like that with a smile on their face, so it is clear that they are joking around and not meaning any harm. Also, I myself am not offended by these comments, because I recognize that they are just trying to be funny.

The problem is that I'm not a vulgar person myself and I seldom ever swear, so it doesn't feel natural to respond with an equally vulgar comment. What I usually end up doing is awkwardly smiling or laughing and not actually responding to the "F--- you" with any real statement. This seems to give people the impression that I'm offended though and that I'm just covering it up, and sometimes friends may say something "Sorry I'm being so vulgar" or something, and I don't know how to respond to that - I feel really lame saying something like "No, go ahead, I think it's cool!".

Anyone else have related experiences?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CockneyRebel
Mick Avory, Sensitive brown-eyed Sweet Pea
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 18, 2004
Age: 40
Posts: 91328
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ignore such comments. Comments like that, aren't worth my time.
_________________
The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/Cocknee/Kinks/Sweet%20Pea%20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schleppenheimer
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 01, 2006
Posts: 1672

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, going by your description, that the way you have BEEN responding is fine. Just laugh and shrug it off -- don't give it any more thought than that, and you don't need to respond with "No, go ahead, I think it's cool!" The fact is, their responses really ARE vulgar, and there is NOTHING WRONG with you for not chiming in with the same vulgar response. You have your way of responding, and they have theirs. You should feel ok with NOT being vulgar, and they, if they must, should feel ok with being vulgar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 27, 2009
Age: 51
Posts: 6595
Location: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to respond to playfully inappropriate comments? Reply with quote

oshibka wrote:
. . . to give people the impression that I'm offended though and that I'm just covering it up, and sometimes friends may say something "Sorry I'm being so vulgar" or something, . . .

'That's okay.'

And so, if someone gives an apology, you can choose to just accept it in a brief and matter-of-fact way (this is usually best, but with us complex human beings, nothing works all the time, and it has to work for you, too).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PunkyKat
meerkat
Phoenix


Joined: May 15, 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 3741
Location: Kalahari Desert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone makes a really stupid comment, I tilt my glasses down a little bit and give the person a funny stare. I refuse to associate with people who have minds dirtier than toilots and make vulgar comments on the regualr basis and talk of nothing but sex. I'm quilty of being a potty mouth now and then but only when I am truely truely offended or angry and can't get out my frustration or anger with regualr words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
oshibka
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Feb 20, 2010
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to respond to playfully inappropriate comments? Reply with quote

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
oshibka wrote:
. . . to give people the impression that I'm offended though and that I'm just covering it up, and sometimes friends may say something "Sorry I'm being so vulgar" or something, . . .

'That's okay.'

And so, if someone gives an apology, you can choose to just accept it in a brief and matter-of-fact way (this is usually best, but with us complex human beings, nothing works all the time, and it has to work for you, too).


That sounds like a good idea. The main thing is I don't want to make a big thing of it in the conversation.

Quote:
I refuse to associate with people who have minds dirtier than toilots and make vulgar comments on the regualr basis and talk of nothing but sex.


Generally I don't associate with people like that either. These are just normal friends who just occasionally throw in vulgarities from time to time. I think giving them a stare would draw too much attention to their vulgarity and give the impression that I'm offended.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 27, 2009
Age: 51
Posts: 6595
Location: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PunkyKat wrote:
. . . I'm quilty of being a potty mouth now and then but only when I am truely truely offended or angry and can't get out my frustration or anger with regualr words.


I kind of make a distinction between exuberant swearing (which I'm kind of in favor of) and angry swearing. And there might be a further distinction between swearing about a situation (understandable) and at a person (not so cool). But even if you do this.

[20 second pause]

'Sorry.'

And that's often enough! Even though the person might need some space for a while, which is fine, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 27, 2009
Age: 51
Posts: 6595
Location: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to respond to playfully inappropriate comments? Reply with quote

oshibka wrote:
. . . That sounds like a good idea. The main thing is I don't want to make a big thing of it in the conversation. . .

But it's okay if you do. It's okay if you make that mistake.

One thing I tell myself is to let a medium mistake just be a medium mistake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan


Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 274
Location: Albuquerque, NM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother has the vulgar type of tourettes so Ive developed quite an atrocious potty mouth myself but I do have some non vulgar advice for this.

This game is about one up-ing each other & you dont have to do it the same way they do, the purpose is to say the most ludicrous contextually appropriate comment & make each other laugh. Make sure they arent laughing at YOU but at your comment (comedy is my own little socialization trick & it works really well, puts everyone in a good mood & more inclined to explain things to you. Some Aspies might criticize the self effacing attitude but it works for me) and say something crazy but CLEVER like: No, I prefer not to have intercourse with pacaderms.
You've acknowledged their "f**k" & turned it around by saying that they are an elephant (can be interpreted as fat, ugly, etc) & saying you arent interested. You've just one up-ed them! Remember tho to stick to vocabulary they know tho, otherwise they just stare at you blankly & your statement has had no effect. Try it out, dont script it, just use this idea as a guide & think of funny appropriate responses. You dont have to be vlgar Wink And the "clean-ness" of your response may contribute to the comedy.
_________________
"becuz finding joy doesnt come without struggle; becuz the point IS to find it; becuz if an autistic person calls autism a way of being, not an illness, then it is; becuz every human has a value & is a joy; becuz despite inhumane acts, I believe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
monsterland
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Dec 31, 2009
Age: 37
Posts: 826
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to respond to playfully inappropriate comments? Reply with quote

oshibka wrote:
So I've had some experiences with friends when we are just goofing around talking about something, and I might say something sarcastic, and someone responds to me with something vulgar like "F--- you" or "Go f--- yourself". Now, they say stuff like that with a smile on their face, so it is clear that they are joking around and not meaning any harm. Also, I myself am not offended by these comments, because I recognize that they are just trying to be funny.

The problem is that I'm not a vulgar person myself and I seldom ever swear, so it doesn't feel natural to respond with an equally vulgar comment. What I usually end up doing is awkwardly smiling or laughing and not actually responding to the "F--- you" with any real statement. This seems to give people the impression that I'm offended though and that I'm just covering it up, and sometimes friends may say something "Sorry I'm being so vulgar" or something, and I don't know how to respond to that - I feel really lame saying something like "No, go ahead, I think it's cool!".

Anyone else have related experiences?


Yeah. I solved them by not hanging out with Russians. Also I learned to swear in case I do find myself in need to respond in kind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sacrip
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 18, 2008
Age: 41
Posts: 879

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People notice vulgarity, but rarely notice the lack of it. I hardly ever swear, even around swearers, and hardly anybody comments on it. Don't ever feel like you have to say "f**k" if someone else does.
_________________
Everything would be better if you were in charge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Dec 13, 2008
Posts: 89
Location: UK (North)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An effective response to the "F... you" (or "him" or "them" or "it"..... or whatever...) is
"Metaphorically, metaphysically or literally?"
It usually raises a smile, or a look of total incomprehension... Either is good!
_________________
The optimist says the glass is half full.
The pessimist says the glass is half empty.
I just want to know who drank the water...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
auntblabby
Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 13, 2010
Posts: 29865
Location: the island of defective toy santas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenchild wrote:
An effective response to the "F... you" (or "him" or "them" or "it"..... or whatever...) is "Metaphorically, metaphysically or literally?"
It usually raises a smile, or a look of total incomprehension... Either is good!


that is classic Smile
but we all have our moments Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pensieve
President of Gallifrey
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 19, 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 8266
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I like to pretend that I took what they said literally.

"F**K you."

"Really? Here in front of all these people?"
_________________
My band photography blog - http://lostthroughthelens.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ProfessorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl


Joined: Apr 01, 2010
Posts: 136

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenchild wrote:
An effective response to the "F... you" (or "him" or "them" or "it"..... or whatever...) is
"Metaphorically, metaphysically or literally?"
It usually raises a smile, or a look of total incomprehension... Either is good!


My response to "F--- you" is usually "anytime, hon."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   
1, 2  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art