WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 19

Raven's and similar IQ tests
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
Horus
Ipsissimus
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 2302
Location: A rock in the milky way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Raven's and similar IQ tests Reply with quote

How unusual is it for people with NVLD and/or Asperger's specifically to score strictly within the average range on Raven's progressive matrices and similar tests?

Considering Raven's and other tests like it are wholly non-verbal, wouldn't it be fairly common for people with NVLD/AS to score below average on them?

These tests are supposedly heavily "G-loaded" (meaning they are alledgedly a good indication of "General intelligence") but I don't think the concept of "general intelligence" is very meaningful when it comes to those who display alot of "scatter" on IQ tests.

I usually score squarely within the average range (100-102) on the Raven's and similar tests. I have scored as high as the 91st percentile (superior range) on the Matrix reasoning subtest on one WAIS-III I had and as low as low average on Matrix reasoning in another WAIS-III.

The Matrix reasoning subtest is inspired by the Raven's and it's on the Performance section of the WAIS-III.

Nonetheless...it seems that many NVLD/AS people here on WP obtain very high scores on Raven's and similar tests.

My usually average scores on Raven's and similar tests seem to be pretty consistent with my PIQ scores on most of the WAIS-III tests i've had.

My PIQ was 94, 100, 102 respectively on three of them. It was significantly lower (82) on another and somewhat higher (111) on the most recent WAIS I took.

My VIQ scores are always in the superior-very superior range.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Danielismyname
Keep making noises... .
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 03, 2007
Posts: 9599

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that people with ASDs tend to score higher on this test than others, but then, that study was for people with verbal delays, so that makes sense.

I score high on these. Had one given to me when I was two, which actually masked the difficulties I had at the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Horus
Ipsissimus
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 2302
Location: A rock in the milky way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielismyname wrote:
I do know that people with ASDs tend to score higher on this test than others, but then, that study was for people with verbal delays, so that makes sense.

I score high on these. Had one given to me when I was two, which actually masked the difficulties I had at the time.





But don't people with ASDs ASIDE from Asperger's TEND to be visual thinkers rather than verbal thinkers?

That's not to say Aspies can't be visual thinkers, but it seems more common in those with other ASDs.

Disproportionately speaking....aren't the PIQ scores of those with other ASDs often higher than their VIQ ones?


With Aspies/NLD-ers it's more often the other way around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 371

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i remember correctly, the raven was way easier than the matrix reasoning subtest. the raven is more about finding embedded figures and patterns while the matrix reasoning subtest is more about spatial relationships. to me the latter was like sensory overload with all those things to process at once.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Horus
Ipsissimus
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Posts: 2302
Location: A rock in the milky way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petitesouris wrote:
if i remember correctly, the raven was way easier than the matrix reasoning subtest. the raven is more about finding embedded figures and patterns while the matrix reasoning subtest is more about spatial relationships. to me the latter was like sensory overload with all those things to process at once.





I frankly don't recall the difference between the two tests, but you're probably right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
irie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg


Joined: Apr 21, 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a high matrix reasoning score (91st percentile) but was average, below average, or moderately impaired in all other PIQ subtest areas. Like Horus, I scored in the "superior range" on the VIQ. I was labeled NVLD. I'm curious if others did way better on the matrix reasoning subtest than any of the other PIQ subtests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ganondox
Visceral Diety
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 08, 2011
Age: 18
Posts: 4210
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS is not NVLD. AS is autism. People with AS tend to score above average on the Raven matrices according to a study in Japan. I am personally somewhat boss at the Raven Matrices.
_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.htm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tollorin
Lazy Cat
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 2047
Location: Sherbrooke,Québec, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petitesouris wrote:
if i remember correctly, the raven was way easier than the matrix reasoning subtest. the raven is more about finding embedded figures and patterns while the matrix reasoning subtest is more about spatial relationships. to me the latter was like sensory overload with all those things to process at once.

Maybe it could explain why I scored 91th percentile on matrix and 95-100th percentile on raven, likelly during the same day. If you're right then the raven would be a better measure of general intelligence and depth of reflexion, while the matrix, in typical Weshler fashion, is more about brute strength and perfomance.

irie wrote:
I had a high matrix reasoning score (91st percentile) but was average, below average, or moderately impaired in all other PIQ subtest areas. Like Horus, I scored in the "superior range" on the VIQ. I was labeled NVLD. I'm curious if others did way better on the matrix reasoning subtest than any of the other PIQ subtests.

Me too, except for the VIQ part.

Ganondox wrote:
People with AS tend to score above average on the Raven matrices according to a study in Japan.

Thanks to break hope I could be "gifted".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UnLoser
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 29, 2012
Posts: 656

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious; what is the Raven test like?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tollorin
Lazy Cat
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 2047
Location: Sherbrooke,Québec, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnLoser wrote:
I'm curious; what is the Raven test like?


http://iqtest.dk/main.swf
It's said that the scores are bellow of 10 to 15 points from real tests from being callibrated on the Internet. Well, maybe...


Last edited by Tollorin on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl


Joined: Sep 28, 2011
Posts: 162
Location: the TARDIS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tollorin wrote:
http://iqtest.dk/main.swf
It's said that the scores are bellow of 10 to 15 points from real tests from being callibrated on the Internet. Well, maybe...



how reliable is that? I finished it in about 12 minutes and I got 130... definitely above my expectations...
_________________
At age 24, 4 months and 10 days I was officially told: "Congratulations! You are an Aspie".
Now I write about it --> http://happilyclueless.me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
XFilesGeek
Stuck in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 25, 2010
Posts: 2454
Location: The Oort Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tollorin wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
I'm curious; what is the Raven test like?


http://iqtest.dk/main.swf
It's said that the scores are bellow of 10 to 15 points from real tests from being callibrated on the Internet. Well, maybe...


Wow.

I got a 96....minus the 10 or 15 points for "internet test"......

Seesh. Apparently I have some rather significant visuo-spatial issues. Stupid little shapes. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Maybe it could explain why I scored 91th percentile on matrix and 95-100th percentile on raven, likelly during the same day. If you're right then the raven would be a better measure of general intelligence and depth of reflexion, while the matrix, in typical Weshler fashion, is more about brute strength and perfomance.


Yeah, I've noticed that people seem to regard whatever IQ test they did better on as a "more accurate reflection" of "intelligence."

Just sayin'
_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UnLoser
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 29, 2012
Posts: 656

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 138 on that test, which I feel pretty proud of. Am I supposed to subtract 15 points to get an accurate score? Is that because people don't put effort into the test and throw off the average?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rascal77s
Picnic Basket Thief
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 13, 2011
Posts: 2795

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the RPM, and tests like it, is to minimize the effect of language, culture, and formal education when measuring cognitive ability. The term 'culture fair' is used for tests like this. The difference between WAIS and RPM in terms of norms is that NTs score roughly the same on both tests, while on average people with AS score better on RPM than on WAIS. It's not that AS is superior on the RPM, it's that AS RPM scores tend to correlate better with the general population norm on the RPM. Contrary to what many people on this forum may believe, AS scores on the WAIS, as an average tend to be slightly below the NT mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tollorin
Lazy Cat
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 2047
Location: Sherbrooke,Québec, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XFilesGeek wrote:


Wow.

I got a 96....minus the 10 or 15 points for "internet test"......

Seesh. Apparently I have some rather significant visuo-spatial issues. Stupid little shapes. Evil or Very Mad


UnLoser wrote:
I got 138 on that test, which I feel pretty proud of. Am I supposed to subtract 15 points to get an accurate score? Is that because people don't put effort into the test and throw off the average?

No, what I meant is that you should add 10 to 15 points to get the result that would give a real test. It's something I read somewehere on WP, don't know if it's really a accurate advice or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art