WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 16

severe salt craving, why? 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Health, Fitness, and Sports     
mechanicalgirl39
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 07, 2009
Posts: 2340

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: severe salt craving, why? Reply with quote

So I'm sick at the moment, if that might be anything to do with it, and I have come down with a raging salt craving. I just ate what must have been enough of it to kill a small animal, and I have finally stopped feeling like I'm dying of hyponatremia..

I normally feel the need for lots of salt anyway (little bit hypotensive), but this is way more severe than usual. ????
_________________
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time' (Breaking Benjamin)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peko
Chameleon by Force
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Age: 23
Posts: 2389
Location: Eastern PA, USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check with your doctor & make sure your consuming LOTS of water as well. Also, I've read craving salty foods can signal having a fast metabolism.
_________________
Balance is needed within the universe, can be demonstrated in most/all concepts/things. Black/White, Good/Evil, etc.
All dependent upon your own perspective in your own form of existence, so trust your own gut and live the way YOU want/need to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
astaut
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 03, 2009
Posts: 1777
Location: Southeast US

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you post something about postural hypotension? Salt craving and low blood pressure are signs of adrenal hypofunction. If you're wanting to do something about it, I would get your cortisol levels checked. If you're just wanting to know why, those would be my first guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mechanicalgirl39
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 07, 2009
Posts: 2340

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astaut wrote:
Didn't you post something about postural hypotension? Salt craving and low blood pressure are signs of adrenal hypofunction. If you're wanting to do something about it, I would get your cortisol levels checked. If you're just wanting to know why, those would be my first guess.


Yeah I just wanted to know why it had flared up like that. If I had mild adrenal hypofunction, would it be likely to get worse when sick?
_________________
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time' (Breaking Benjamin)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PunkyKat
meerkat
Phoenix


Joined: May 15, 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 3741
Location: Kalahari Desert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a little kid I craved salt so bad my parents had to hide it. I was also constantly thirsty and every diabeaties test came back negetive. I've heard it can be a sign of low zinc. My salt cravings go into overdrive when I get sick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mechanicalgirl39
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 07, 2009
Posts: 2340

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PunkyKat wrote:
As a little kid I craved salt so bad my parents had to hide it. I was also constantly thirsty and every diabeaties test came back negetive. I've heard it can be a sign of low zinc. My salt cravings go into overdrive when I get sick.


Do you also have low blood pressure, or feel it drop when you stand (head rush, dizziness, or temporarily blindness?)
_________________
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time' (Breaking Benjamin)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
astaut
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 03, 2009
Posts: 1777
Location: Southeast US

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
astaut wrote:
Didn't you post something about postural hypotension? Salt craving and low blood pressure are signs of adrenal hypofunction. If you're wanting to do something about it, I would get your cortisol levels checked. If you're just wanting to know why, those would be my first guess.


Yeah I just wanted to know why it had flared up like that. If I had mild adrenal hypofunction, would it be likely to get worse when sick?


Probably so, yes. Those with actual adrenal insufficiency definitely get worse when sick. For instance, I have to increase my steroid medication when I'm ill or there is a possibility of my body going into adrenal crisis. Those with adrenal fatigue (I was referring to it as hypofunction since adrenal fatigue is a fad diagnosis now) wouldn't go into actual crisis, but might feel worse or have a harder time recovering when ill. I don't know as much about adrenal fatigue as actual adrenal insufficiency, but I think that would be accurate. There are home tests to do for adrenal insufficiency but of course they are not definitive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PunkyKat
meerkat
Phoenix


Joined: May 15, 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 3741
Location: Kalahari Desert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
As a little kid I craved salt so bad my parents had to hide it. I was also constantly thirsty and every diabeaties test came back negetive. I've heard it can be a sign of low zinc. My salt cravings go into overdrive when I get sick.


Do you also have low blood pressure, or feel it drop when you stand (head rush, dizziness, or temporarily blindness?)


I recently had dizzy spells that were so bad I couldn't stand up without vomiting and a weird sensation I can only describe as "brain spasams". Supposly I get the dizzy spells because of high blood sugar but I don't know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bully_on_speed
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 20, 2010
Age: 29
Posts: 890

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: severe salt craving, why? Reply with quote

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
So I'm sick at the moment, if that might be anything to do with it, and I have come down with a raging salt craving. I just ate what must have been enough of it to kill a small animal, and I have finally stopped feeling like I'm dying of hyponatremia..

I normally feel the need for lots of salt anyway (little bit hypotensive), but this is way more severe than usual. ????


omg your preggers, start chugging the caffeen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avarice
Holocron
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 06, 2009
Posts: 1067

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astaut wrote:
Didn't you post something about postural hypotension? Salt craving and low blood pressure are signs of adrenal hypofunction. If you're wanting to do something about it, I would get your cortisol levels checked. If you're just wanting to know why, those would be my first guess.


That was me. But I have salt cravings as well. It might have to look into that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mechanicalgirl39
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 07, 2009
Posts: 2340

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astaut wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
astaut wrote:
Didn't you post something about postural hypotension? Salt craving and low blood pressure are signs of adrenal hypofunction. If you're wanting to do something about it, I would get your cortisol levels checked. If you're just wanting to know why, those would be my first guess.


Yeah I just wanted to know why it had flared up like that. If I had mild adrenal hypofunction, would it be likely to get worse when sick?


Probably so, yes. Those with actual adrenal insufficiency definitely get worse when sick. For instance, I have to increase my steroid medication when I'm ill or there is a possibility of my body going into adrenal crisis. Those with adrenal fatigue (I was referring to it as hypofunction since adrenal fatigue is a fad diagnosis now) wouldn't go into actual crisis, but might feel worse or have a harder time recovering when ill. I don't know as much about adrenal fatigue as actual adrenal insufficiency, but I think that would be accurate. There are home tests to do for adrenal insufficiency but of course they are not definitive.


Thanks Smile So I am probably a slight bit low but not dangerously so?
_________________
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time' (Breaking Benjamin)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
astaut
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 03, 2009
Posts: 1777
Location: Southeast US

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583

There's a link about it. Yes, I suppose you would say your levels are low but not dangerous (if that's what you have). I find adrenal fatigue a bit confusing because they originally diagnosed me with that, but I turned out to have full-blown Addison's Disease. So I don't know if there are people out there who develop adrenal insufficiency/Addison's Disease or not. I know there are those who recover from adrenal fatigue, though. I wouldn't worry about it being dangerous unless you sometime show symptoms of an adrenal crisis (you'll get a million results if you google it), but you could probably feel better by doing some natural stuff if you have adrenal fatigue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mechanicalgirl39
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 07, 2009
Posts: 2340

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astaut wrote:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583

There's a link about it. Yes, I suppose you would say your levels are low but not dangerous (if that's what you have). I find adrenal fatigue a bit confusing because they originally diagnosed me with that, but I turned out to have full-blown Addison's Disease. So I don't know if there are people out there who develop adrenal insufficiency/Addison's Disease or not. I know there are those who recover from adrenal fatigue, though. I wouldn't worry about it being dangerous unless you sometime show symptoms of an adrenal crisis (you'll get a million results if you google it), but you could probably feel better by doing some natural stuff if you have adrenal fatigue.


Thanks for link Smile It sucks that you have the full blown one.

I sometimes get a kind of needlish pain about where the adrenals would be, is that likely anything to do with the low blood pressure/salt craving?
_________________
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time' (Breaking Benjamin)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
astaut
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 03, 2009
Posts: 1777
Location: Southeast US

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
astaut wrote:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583

There's a link about it. Yes, I suppose you would say your levels are low but not dangerous (if that's what you have). I find adrenal fatigue a bit confusing because they originally diagnosed me with that, but I turned out to have full-blown Addison's Disease. So I don't know if there are people out there who develop adrenal insufficiency/Addison's Disease or not. I know there are those who recover from adrenal fatigue, though. I wouldn't worry about it being dangerous unless you sometime show symptoms of an adrenal crisis (you'll get a million results if you google it), but you could probably feel better by doing some natural stuff if you have adrenal fatigue.


Thanks for link Smile It sucks that you have the full blown one.

I sometimes get a kind of needlish pain about where the adrenals would be, is that likely anything to do with the low blood pressure/salt craving?


People always say "oh that sucks" and things like that, but truthfully I'm just glad they finally figured out what my diagnosis is :] I have a chiari malformation (causes headaches) and that gives me a lot more trouble than my adrenal issues. I'm not sure about the needle feeling. I have heard some people complain of pain around the adrenal site (I talk to a lot of people with adrenal problems on facebook), but I don't have that symptom. I have gotten severe pain in my side(s) which I've learned is a signal that I need to take more steroids. (Adrenal insufficiency means I don't make enough cortisol, so I take a replacement hormone, hydrocortisone.) If you have a facebook there are a lot of pages/groups about Addison's Disease/Adrenal insufficiency and probably adrenal fatigue if you search, so you might look around on there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DW_a_mom
Ignoring the To-Do List
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 23, 2008
Posts: 9762
Location: Northern California

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't in response to the OP's question; more about the subsequent line of discussion.

I've had low pressure most of my life, and a constant craving for salt. I've kind of figured the two go hand in hand. I did read the link, above, and weight loss has not, unfortunately, ever been my problem (unexplained weight gain, however, frequently is), so that theory seems to be out the window.

I remember years ago cutting back on my salt because everyone kept harping on it, and the result was an increase in dizzy spells. Stopped cutting back, and the dizzy spells ended.

I think some of us just need more salt. As long as blood pressure is healthy, that should be OK.
_________________
Mom to an amazing AS boy (plus a non-AS daughter). Have at least a few AS genes myself, although probably more NT than AS.
---
Think of the greening of my name as an emeritus thing; I used to be a moderator but am retired and have no authority to act
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Health, Fitness, and Sports   
1, 2  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art