!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WRONG PLANET is undergoing a major upgrade.
You will be able to access your account and post replies after this completes by tomorrow evening (EST). You may continue to access the forums by clicking here

If you want to discuss this, please Join the chatroom

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 
  WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 18

Being too honest? 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Social Skills and Making Friends     
GraphicHayley
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Oct 11, 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Being too honest? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a friend like me who's told you that you're too blatant with your opinions?

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I'm just honest.. I think having honest friends is good anyway.. because I'd say lying to make someone feel better is worse than being honest and hurting their feelings (even if that's not your intention). I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.

What do you think? You can share specific examples too I couldn't think of any atm. But I'm sure I'll relate to some examples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guitar_Girl
* Orion *
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 29, 2010
Age: 20
Posts: 2144
Location: House of the Rising Sun, New Orleans, Louisiana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get told by people I know alot Im too honest. If I meet someone new, I like to save feelings for any reason.
_________________
Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
Martin Luther King, jr.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kaybee
invisible fox
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 07, 2009
Posts: 3446
Location: A hidden forest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am too honest and forthcoming in general. I don't think one can be too honest with friends, though. Not if they're real friends, anyway. If they're more of the "friendly acquaintance" variety, then they probably won't appreciate complete frankness and sincerity.

GraphicHayley wrote:
I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.


You should be careful with this thinking. The axiom does say "treat others as you would wish to be treated," but I find it does not always hold for aspies. Our wants often do not parallel those of most people.
_________________
"A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, even though we do not love it."


Last edited by Kaybee on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
League_Girl
Proud mamma
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 05, 2010
Posts: 16618
Location: My house

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom says I am honest and my husband says the same too. others have said so too.

I don't like getting lied to either so I am honest to others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GraphicHayley
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Oct 11, 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee wrote:
I am too honest and forthcoming in general. I don't think one can be too honest with friends, though. Not if they're real friends, anyway. If they're more of the "friendly acquaintance" variety, then they probably won't appreciate complete frankness and sincerity.

GraphicHayley wrote:
I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.


You should be careful with this thinking. The axiom does say "treat others as you would wish to be treated," but I find it does not always hold for aspies. Our wants often do not parallel those of most people.


Wow, I haven't thought of it that way, thanks for the insight!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pistonhead
Really That Big
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 4732
Location: Bradenton, Florida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't lie period.
_________________
"Some ideals are worth dying for"
==tOGoWPO==
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GraphicHayley
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Oct 11, 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pistonhead wrote:
I don't lie period.


I can't because I'm terrible at it, so I figured I'm better off just being honest because that's the most honorable thing anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pistonhead
Really That Big
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 4732
Location: Bradenton, Florida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excellent at it, runs in the family. I just have no respect for people who confuse me, lead me on, etc. So I don't let myself become that to anyone else.
_________________
"Some ideals are worth dying for"
==tOGoWPO==
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GraphicHayley
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Oct 11, 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be good at it if I tried, but I have too much respect for my friends and guilt after lying. Not worth it to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sparrowrose
wombat
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 12, 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 1681
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee wrote:

GraphicHayley wrote:
I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.


You should be careful with this thinking. The axiom does say "treat others as you would wish to be treated," but I find it does not always hold for aspies. Our wants often do not parallel those of most people.


Ever since childhood, I've said that the Golden Rule should be, "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them," for that very reason (although I didn't know I had asperger's back then, but I knew that I often wanted things very different from what I observed others seeming to want.) As an adult, I would modify it to, "so long as you are not harming yourself in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."
_________________
"In the end, we decide if we're remembered for what happened to us or for what we did with it."
-- Randy K. Milholland

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kaybee
invisible fox
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 07, 2009
Posts: 3446
Location: A hidden forest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparrowrose wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

GraphicHayley wrote:
I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.


You should be careful with this thinking. The axiom does say "treat others as you would wish to be treated," but I find it does not always hold for aspies. Our wants often do not parallel those of most people.


Ever since childhood, I've said that the Golden Rule should be, "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them," for that very reason (although I didn't know I had asperger's back then, but I knew that I often wanted things very different from what I observed others seeming to want.) As an adult, I would modify it to, "so long as you are not harming yourself in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."


I always thought much the same, Sparrow. Smile I like your expression better. I think I would edit it slightly to say "So long as you are not harming anyone in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."

Now all we need to do is work on our mind-reading powers.
_________________
"A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, even though we do not love it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sparrowrose
wombat
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 12, 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 1681
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

GraphicHayley wrote:
I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.


You should be careful with this thinking. The axiom does say "treat others as you would wish to be treated," but I find it does not always hold for aspies. Our wants often do not parallel those of most people.


Ever since childhood, I've said that the Golden Rule should be, "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them," for that very reason (although I didn't know I had asperger's back then, but I knew that I often wanted things very different from what I observed others seeming to want.) As an adult, I would modify it to, "so long as you are not harming yourself in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."


I always thought much the same, Sparrow. :) I like your expression better. I think I would edit it slightly to say "So long as you are not harming anyone in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."

Now all we need to do is work on our mind-reading powers.


Your way works, too. I assumed that since people don't want to be harmed, that was implicit in the act of doing unto others as they would have you do unto them. But specified not harming one's self because so many people find it too easy to "give themselves away" and always take care of everybody but themselves.

But not harming anyone includes one's self, so it works as well and is perhaps more elegant.
_________________
"In the end, we decide if we're remembered for what happened to us or for what we did with it."
-- Randy K. Milholland

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kaybee
invisible fox
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 07, 2009
Posts: 3446
Location: A hidden forest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparrowrose wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

GraphicHayley wrote:
I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.


You should be careful with this thinking. The axiom does say "treat others as you would wish to be treated," but I find it does not always hold for aspies. Our wants often do not parallel those of most people.


Ever since childhood, I've said that the Golden Rule should be, "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them," for that very reason (although I didn't know I had asperger's back then, but I knew that I often wanted things very different from what I observed others seeming to want.) As an adult, I would modify it to, "so long as you are not harming yourself in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."


I always thought much the same, Sparrow. Smile I like your expression better. I think I would edit it slightly to say "So long as you are not harming anyone in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."

Now all we need to do is work on our mind-reading powers.


Your way works, too. I assumed that since people don't want to be harmed, that was implicit in the act of doing unto others as they would have you do unto them. But specified not harming one's self because so many people find it too easy to "give themselves away" and always take care of everybody but themselves.

But not harming anyone includes one's self, so it works as well and is perhaps more elegant.


I think some people do want to be treated in ways which are harmful to them.
_________________
"A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, even though we do not love it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sparrowrose
wombat
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 12, 2009
Age: 47
Posts: 1681
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

GraphicHayley wrote:
I'd rather not get lied to. So I treat others the way I'd like to be treated.


You should be careful with this thinking. The axiom does say "treat others as you would wish to be treated," but I find it does not always hold for aspies. Our wants often do not parallel those of most people.


Ever since childhood, I've said that the Golden Rule should be, "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them," for that very reason (although I didn't know I had asperger's back then, but I knew that I often wanted things very different from what I observed others seeming to want.) As an adult, I would modify it to, "so long as you are not harming yourself in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."


I always thought much the same, Sparrow. :) I like your expression better. I think I would edit it slightly to say "So long as you are not harming anyone in the process, do unto others as they would have you do unto them."

Now all we need to do is work on our mind-reading powers.


Your way works, too. I assumed that since people don't want to be harmed, that was implicit in the act of doing unto others as they would have you do unto them. But specified not harming one's self because so many people find it too easy to "give themselves away" and always take care of everybody but themselves.

But not harming anyone includes one's self, so it works as well and is perhaps more elegant.


I think some people do want to be treated in ways which are harmful to them.


That seems to create an ethical quandry. If I'm responsible for someone, such as a child, I'm obligated to do thinks they don't like if things they do like would harm them. But I don't think I have that obligation with fellow adults. Otherwise, I can see situations like, "please pass the salt." "no, because it will harm you." A grown-up should be allowed to eat salt if they want to and thus wouldn't the Golden Rule -- even a modified verison of it -- suggest that I should pass them the salt?

If someone wants something that will harm them but doesn't know that it will harm them, I could see an obligation to warn them that it is harmful. But if they still want it, whether or not I supply it will fall into a strange grey area. And philosophy has always made my head hurt, so that's as far as I can follow the ethical quandry . . .
_________________
"In the end, we decide if we're remembered for what happened to us or for what we did with it."
-- Randy K. Milholland

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nthach
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 29, 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 1457
Location: SF Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honest most of the time, but there are some situations where I need to lie through my teeth, such as getting an overbearing parent off the phone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Social Skills and Making Friends   
1, 2  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art