WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 13

Should politicians be allowed to write books on faith? 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion     
pgd
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 17, 2010
Posts: 1624

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Should politicians be allowed to write books on faith? Reply with quote

Sen. Joseph Lieberman writing book about Sabbath
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/ap_en_ot/us_books_lieberman/
---
Future Titles
How My Faith Became Stronger At The Clinton White House by Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky - co-authors
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Good by George Bush, Jr. (saved Christian)
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Bad by Barack Obama (saved Christian)
Why I Believe I Am Descended From The Sun God by the Emperor of Japan (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Believe The Roman Senate Will Declare Me A God by Julius Caesar (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Am A Saved Scientologist From Hollywood And Bound For Glory by Tom Cruise (actor, saved Scientologist)(faux future title)
Why I Am A Saved Protestant Christian by Ned Flanders - next door neighbor to Homer Simpson
How I Lost And Found My Faith By Reading Posts At WP (on the topic of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion) by Believer Anonymous
and so on...
Words: attempt at humor, humor, irony, satire, etc.


Last edited by pgd on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skafather84
Platypus God
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 21, 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 11156
Location: New Orleans, LA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. They're still free to express their faith.

I just wish that it'd be more of a determining factor of why NOT to vote for such a person.
_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inuyasha
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 13, 2009
Posts: 9745

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skafather84 wrote:
Sure. They're still free to express their faith.

I just wish that it'd be more of a determining factor of why NOT to vote for such a person.


On the flipside, people could also argue that a good reason why one shouldn't vote for a liberal is because liberals believe in moral relativism and can't get it through their heads there is such thing as right and wrong.

You want to start persecuting people based on the fact they are religious and think there is no problem with that, then obviously you shouldn't be in office.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ruveyn
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Age: 78
Posts: 31520
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Should politicians be allowed to write books on faith? Reply with quote

pgd wrote:
Sen. Joseph Lieberman writing book about Sabbath
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/ap_en_ot/us_books_lieberman/
---
Future Titles
How My Faith Became Stronger At The Clinton White House by Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky - co-authors
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Good by George Bush, Jr. (saved Christian)
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Bad by Barack Obama (saved Christian)
Why I Believe I Am Descended From The Sun God by the Emperor of Japan (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Believe The Roman Senate Will Declare Me A God by Julius Caesar (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Am A Saved Scientologist From Hollywood And Bound For Glory by Tom Cruise (actor, saved Scientologist)(faux future title)
Why I Am A Saved Protestant Christian by Ned Flanders - next door neighbor to Homer Simpson
How I Lost And Found My Faith By Reading Posts At WP (on the topic of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion) by Believer Anonymous
and so on...
Words: attempt at humor, humor, irony, satire, etc.


In a free country anyone can write a book on anything that it pleases him to write.

ruveyn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thechadmaster
Addicted To Driving
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 14, 2005
Age: 27
Posts: 1124
Location: On The Road...Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Inuyasha"]
On the flipside, people could also argue that a good reason why one shouldn't vote for a liberal is because liberals believe in moral relativism and can't get it through their heads there is such thing as right and wrong.
[quote]

Im just amazed that our country is not in worse shape than it is. The progressive movement has been going on since the early 1900's, if 100 years have passed and they still have not completely succeeded yet, they dont have their act together.

but see my signature below, i believe moral relativism/relativists will eventually utterly and totally destroy this country, only God Himself could do more damage.
_________________
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raisedbyignorance
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Age: 31
Posts: 2225
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more concerned about the general population who would buy and read these kind of books than the politicians who write them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wombat
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 08, 2006
Posts: 2051

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned, anybody can write a book about anything they want.

If they can find a publisher and people want to buy the book then good for them.

This is called free speech.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TeaEarlGreyHot
Your Maya
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 05, 2010
Age: 31
Posts: 29444
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? As long as they aren't actively trying to incorporate their religious beliefs into our laws, they aren't doing anything unconstitutional.
_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jacoby
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Dec 11, 2007
Age: 23
Posts: 5749
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they can write whatever they want
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruveyn
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Age: 78
Posts: 31520
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
As far as I am concerned, anybody can write a book about anything they want.

If they can find a publisher and people want to buy the book then good for them.

This is called free speech.


More like free write.

ruveyn


Last edited by ruveyn on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skafather84
Platypus God
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 21, 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 11156
Location: New Orleans, LA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inuyasha wrote:
On the flipside, people could also argue that a good reason why one shouldn't vote for a liberal is because liberals believe in moral relativism and can't get it through their heads there is such thing as right and wrong.



You talking about moral relativism is laughable....you the person who doesn't consider statutory rape to be "rape rape". Rolling Eyes
_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
richardbenson
Radomilice
Xfractor Card #351


Joined: Oct 31, 2006
Posts: 14976
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Why not? As long as they aren't actively trying to incorporate their religious beliefs into our laws, they aren't doing anything unconstitutional.
but believe me if they could get away with it they would
_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ryan93
creationism denier
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 2315
Location: Galway, Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im just amazed that our country is not in worse shape than it is. The progressive movement has been going on since the early 1900's, if 100 years have passed and they still have not completely succeeded yet, they dont have their act together.

but see my signature below, i believe moral relativism/relativists will eventually utterly and totally destroy this country, only God Himself could do more damage.


Well it beats bloody religious morality; killing for apostasy and homosexuality, putting down women, and convincing half the world there is something inherently evil about sex. I'd take a million moral relativists before I'd watch Ireland absorb the cesspit of American Ethics.
_________________
The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists - Erwin Schrodinger

Member of the WP Strident Atheists
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skafather84
Platypus God
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 21, 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 11156
Location: New Orleans, LA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardbenson wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Why not? As long as they aren't actively trying to incorporate their religious beliefs into our laws, they aren't doing anything unconstitutional.
but believe me if they could get away with it they would


You mean like with abortion issues or faith based projects being given money or faith driven initiatives like abstinence only "sex ed" programs?
_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan93
creationism denier
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 2315
Location: Galway, Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You mean like with abortion issues or faith based projects being given money or faith driven initiatives like abstinence only "sex ed" programs?


It's fine to be Religious and a Political, but the two always intermingle. Faith Schools should be shut,and unintelligent design should be pulled.
_________________
The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists - Erwin Schrodinger

Member of the WP Strident Atheists
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion   
1, 2  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art