WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 27

Why I don't like being around people....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
nirrti_rachelle
Go Tigers!
Forum Moderator


Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 1363
Location: The Dirty South

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Why I don't like being around people.... Reply with quote

I just had a realization about why I don't like being around people.

At first, I thought it was because I'm an introvert. But even other introverts like being around others on occasion, just not for extended periods. Other aspies long to be around others but just don't know how. For me, even if I did have all the social skills in the world, I still wouldn't like being around others.

I was thinking about this then came to the conclusion that when I'm by myself, I'm just me. If I was around others, I'm what ever label they decide to stick on me at that particular time. And many times, those labels are either incorrect or out right malicious.

When it's just me alone, I'm playful, insightful, philosophical, studious, and spiritual. If I'm with others, I'm "slow", "crazy", "coo-coo", "retarded", "not a Christian", "not employed", "not a Jehovah's Witness", "not my daughter", and simply not good enough. I've been avoiding people because the only times I ever felt absolute misery was in relations with others.
_________________
"There is difference and there is power. And who holds the power decides the meaning of the difference." --June Jordan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MollyTroubletail
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 22, 2010
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you met someone nonjudgmental who wasn't interested in labeling you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acacia
Crown of Thorns
Phoenix


Joined: Dec 13, 2008
Posts: 1986

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Why I don't like being around people.... Reply with quote

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
When it's just me alone, I'm playful, insightful, philosophical, studious, and spiritual. If I'm with others, I'm "slow", "crazy", "coo-coo", "retarded", "not a Christian", rejected, and simply not good enough.

Me too. You said it perfectly.
Which is interesting, because so many other people seem to have the opposite experience. They feel "playful, insightful, spiritual, etc." when they are social.
_________________
Plantae/Magnoliophyta/Magnoliopsida/Fabales/Fabaceae/Mimosoideae/Acacia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sgrannel
Just Vic
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Posts: 2113

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why I don't like being around people.... Reply with quote

nirrti_rachelle wrote:

When it's just me alone, I'm playful, insightful, philosophical, studious, and spiritual. If I'm with others, I'm "slow", "crazy", "coo-coo", "retarded", "not a Christian", "not employed", "not a Jehovah's Witness", "not my daughter", and simply not good enough. I've been avoiding people because the only times I ever felt absolute misery was in relations with others.


When I was younger I also noticed that a lot of my problems simply disappeared when I got away from everybody. I was not longer slow or incompetent in need of "getting my sh** together". I think it was because I really could function better when nobody else was around.

Do "not a Christian", "not a Jehovah's Witness", "not my daughter", go together? My tendency is to ignore differences in religion and politics when I'm working with someone. It's the other person's own personal business and not part of the topic. It's not a good idea to pick a fight with someone over religion or politics because it can damage any mutual effort you might have otherwise had, and at the end of the day, you may quite literally be fighting over... ...nothing.
_________________
A boy and his dog can go walking
A boy and his dog sometimes talk to each other
A boy and a dog can be happy sitting down in the woods on a log
But a dog knows his boy can go wrong
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nirrti_rachelle
Go Tigers!
Forum Moderator


Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 1363
Location: The Dirty South

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why I don't like being around people.... Reply with quote

sgrannel wrote:
Do "not a Christian", "not a Jehovah's Witness", "not my daughter", go together?


You made a very astute observation. My father and (former)stepmother disowned me for not being a Jehovah's Witness saying I would corrupt them and their two kids even though I never did anything wrong.

I was a mainstream Christian at the time and JWs believe being so is worse than being nothing at all. Interestingly, I stopped being a Christian a few years ago and now I'm afraid if I tell my family, they might reject me just like my father.
_________________
"There is difference and there is power. And who holds the power decides the meaning of the difference." --June Jordan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
galtor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: May 29, 2011
Age: 35
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like being around people for two reasons:

1. I feel like all of their energy is transmitted to me. All of their thoughts are sent to me. It is like I am reading their minds and it is too much to bare. Normally it is mostly negative and it is directed at me.

2. I feel like people are a threat. All of them. I feel that they are boorish, crude and nasty. You never meet up with PhD scientists walking the street. Normally it is the regular people out in public. And I don't, I am always bothered by ... people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
btbnnyr
Rabbit In Cat's Clothing
Phoenix


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 4269
Location: Lost Angleles Carmen Santiago

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, I don't like being around people, because I feel physically distressed in their presence. People, fluorescent lighting, and bar noise are all the same to me. I do like being around people to have long engaging conversations with them. In these cases, people are fun.
_________________
Drain and plane and grain and blain your brain, and then again,
Propane and butane out of the gas main, your blain shall sustain!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor


Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 435

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like people, and even my own friends drive me crazy.

I think peoples focus and enjoyment are all out of whack, and it drives me insane. Everything I have to say is looked at as irrelevant, crazy, or just plain stupid. I know I'm not perfect, but people are generally too imperfect for me to tolerate. I have considered multiple times now just cutting away from the people I do know so that they stop bugging the hell out of me. It's not their fault, it's my fault. If it were others people fault, then nobody would want to hang out with anybody at all!

When it comes to socializing with people, I have no interest in talking with them. I also have no idea how I should respond to their pointless conversation. Even on online games, if somebody tries talking to me, I generally just go do something else until they go away, appearing "AFK". I wish I was a rude jackass like we are accused of, because then I'd just say "Go the hell away" and continue on instead of wasting my time waiting for some guy to get bored of waiting for me to respond.

I suppose people wouldn't be so bad if I could wade through their nonsense, but they'd still irritate me. People are so impressed with irrelevant details, how could I not be irritated?
_________________
Permanently inane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pensieve
President of Gallifrey
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 19, 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 8170
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this earlier today. People usually make me feel inferior by mocking me or looking down at me when I talk about my interests. They make me feel dumb when I know I'm not and try to make me feel like their life is so much better than mine. The truth is I much prefer my interests and my life over theirs. And why spend time with people that make you feel that way?

There is also the exhaustion that comes from spending a couple of hours with them and the discomfort I feel when I just need to be alone. It's also exhausting trying to watch what you say but you always end up saying something that someone can use against you.

Then there is the sensory and emotional stress and the frustration that comes from them not believing I have such issues.

I'm better on my own. I'm more organised, productive, insightful, healthy and feel secure in my environment.
_________________
A place where people who get denied treatment for mental health issues can tell their story- http://diagnosiswithheld.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: May 25, 2011
Age: 21
Posts: 92
Location: Alternate Universe Where Superheroes Are Real

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galtor wrote:
I don't like being around people for two reasons:

1. I feel like all of their energy is transmitted to me. All of their thoughts are sent to me. It is like I am reading their minds and it is too much to bare. Normally it is mostly negative and it is directed at me.

2. I feel like people are a threat. All of them. I feel that they are boorish, crude and nasty. You never meet up with PhD scientists walking the street. Normally it is the regular people out in public. And I don't, I am always bothered by ... people.


WOW.

Number one is EXACTLY what I feel like. I get other emotions too--usually I get a pretty accurate baseline reading of a person's personality (and I'm apparently about 90% correct, if I account for the fact that I don't often ask about it).

Number two is what I've learned the hard way.

That is so cool! I wonder why we have the same reaction? I can't say I know a lot about neurology, but maybe something in our hardwiring is the same? *obsession with psychology takes over* Very Happy
_________________
Now if only I could think of a witty signature...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
emotionally disturbed rationalist
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Posts: 9868
Location: Murgatroyd

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why I don't like being around people.... Reply with quote

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
I just had a realization about why I don't like being around people.

At first, I thought it was because I'm an introvert. But even other introverts like being around others on occasion, just not for extended periods. Other aspies long to be around others but just don't know how. For me, even if I did have all the social skills in the world, I still wouldn't like being around others.

I was thinking about this then came to the conclusion that when I'm by myself, I'm just me. If I was around others, I'm what ever label they decide to stick on me at that particular time. And many times, those labels are either incorrect or out right malicious.

When it's just me alone, I'm playful, insightful, philosophical, studious, and spiritual. If I'm with others, I'm "slow", "crazy", "coo-coo", "retarded", "not a Christian", "not employed", "not a Jehovah's Witness", "not my daughter", and simply not good enough. I've been avoiding people because the only times I ever felt absolute misery was in relations with others.

It takes a holiday to bring about these insights. I feel the same way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sgrannel
Just Vic
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Posts: 2113

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why I don't like being around people.... Reply with quote

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
sgrannel wrote:
Do "not a Christian", "not a Jehovah's Witness", "not my daughter", go together?


You made a very astute observation. My father and (former)stepmother disowned me for not being a Jehovah's Witness saying I would corrupt them and their two kids even though I never did anything wrong.

I was a mainstream Christian at the time and JWs believe being so is worse than being nothing at all. Interestingly, I stopped being a Christian a few years ago and now I'm afraid if I tell my family, they might reject me just like my father.


Here's some information you may find useful.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3649734.html&highlight=#3649734
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3583381.html&highlight=#3583381
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3528116.html&highlight=#3528116
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3500766.html&highlight=#3500766
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3288988.html&highlight=#3288988
_________________
A boy and his dog can go walking
A boy and his dog sometimes talk to each other
A boy and a dog can be happy sitting down in the woods on a log
But a dog knows his boy can go wrong
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BerlinDancer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg


Joined: Oct 23, 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just anti-social. I don't seem to like people at all. I can listen to music and like a singer/band or I can watch a movie and enjoy the plot and like the actors but that's because there is a safety net - it's not real.

Sometimes I wonder if I wasn't related to my own family, would I still like them. The answer is an uncomfortable one.

I've only had a dozen or so friends in my life than I genuinely enjoyed spending time with and even now I've lost contact with all of them for various reasons. Maybe I'm just getting old, sad and bitter.

Even people on the internet tend to annoy me, although I know there are a lot of good folks out there too. But when I read some of the comments on sites like Twitter and the various news/politics discussion boards it just makes me despair. I blame aspects of the media (The Sun, Daily Mail etc) for encouraging people to have such opinions rather than just reporting the news.

I'm 35 now and over the past few years I'm becoming more and more socially isolated and suspicious of the world. I see virtually everyone as a threat and a potential enemy. I didn't used to be like this and can't figure where it all went wrong for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daniel_8964
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse


Joined: Nov 06, 2012
Age: 23
Posts: 31
Location: Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this in a way. You're not alone, I feel like if people are judging me most of the time and they are a threat to me which I feel betrayed or just can't stand the ignorance and negativity comes directly from them and aimed at me. I rather stay in the shadows and not the spotlight where the rude, shallow and sad people are. It has made me more aware and avoidant of people nowadays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art