WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 24

Autistic tone of voice? 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
swbluto
System architect and nanobot commander
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 27, 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 2899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Autistic tone of voice? Reply with quote

Is there a detectable "autistic tone of voice" that male aspies tend to have? If so, would it be possible to detect whether I probably DON'T have autism from a voice sample (such as reading an emotional passage with feeling or something.)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Artros
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 646
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think I have a particularly monotonous voice. In other male Aspies I know, I have not really noticed the same. There's not much inflection, but some is there. The voices are definitely completely different as well.
_________________
"Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant. " -Socrates
AQ: 40/50
EQ: 17/50
SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnsmcjohn
silver coin
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 02, 2011
Posts: 1253
Location: Las Vegas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure if there is a stereotypical "autistic" voice but I have read that most Aspies have a difficult time getting their voice to intonate. I speak with a very soft spoken voice and I don't usually change the tone of my voice unless I'm acting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lightening020
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 23, 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm I think there is. Some people with practice can veer away from it, but I think its there.

Have you ever recorded yourself on tape talking normally and then listened to it back hearing how flat it was?

Regular people just sound different. Maybe there isn't 1 voice tone that everybody has with AS, but I really think there are similarities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SammichEater
Self-Certified Societal Critic
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 07, 2011
Age: 20
Posts: 3882

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightening020 wrote:
mmm I think there is. Some people with practice can veer away from it, but I think its there.

Have you ever recorded yourself on tape talking normally and then listened to it back hearing how flat it was?

Regular people just sound different. Maybe there isn't 1 voice tone that everybody has with AS, but I really think there are similarities.


I try to intonate my voice when I speak, but when I listen to myself the intonation is hardly noticeable. I also speak rather slowly, to the point where I sound like an idiot.
_________________
Remember, all atrocities begin in a sensible place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swbluto
System architect and nanobot commander
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 27, 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 2899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone brave enough to upload a voice sample of them reading this passage?

Quote:
Molly crept out the door onto the front porch. Early morning. A fresh new day. Their old farmhouse sat comfortably on an acre of grass and gardens, surrounded by trees. Distant traffic sounds filtered through trees: muted background music. Molly sat on the steps and took a deep contented breath. Dawn's ragged swirls of mist lingered among the maple and fir trees. Two robins pecked in the grass looking for worms. Mom's bed of daffodils glowed yellow in the morning light. Molly hugged herself, while a nippy breeze poked through her thin cotton nightie. And then she saw them. They stepped out of the mist-laden gloom between the trees, one dainty step after the other, across the grass in front of her. There were three of them: a deer and her two young fawns. Molly held her breath. Awesome!


I'll do it, but I need to figure out how to upload it. Somehow, I'm guessing youtube will be involved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ilka
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: May 08, 2011
Age: 42
Posts: 1365
Location: Panama City, Republic of Panama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband does not have a monotonous tone of voice. My kids therapist says her voice was monotonous when she started treating her. I never noticed it. I always liked the way my daughter talks. She has the sweetest tone of voice, speaks like singing, snd uses the most sofisticated words. I knew she talked differently because everybody said so, but I never found it monotonous. I did notice she used a lot of phrases from TV and movies, tough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swbluto
System architect and nanobot commander
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 27, 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 2899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilka wrote:
My husband does not have a monotonous tone of voice. My kids therapist says her voice was monotonous when she started treating her. I never noticed it. I always liked the way my daughter talks. She has the sweetest tone of voice, speaks like singing, snd uses the most sofisticated words. I knew she talked differently because everybody said so, but I never found it monotonous. I did notice she used a lot of phrases from TV and movies, tough.


Okay, is there a distinct "autistic tone" that's not strictly monotonous? Such as... possibly, "flatter" or "less varied" or "less tonal" as described earlier? Or... higher pitched or "more annoying" possibly? Geekier, mayhaps? Laughing

Also, females tend to be less impacted in the nonverbal domain by aspergers and I'm male, so I'm specifically asking about males.

*random rant*

O

M

G

... my youtube vid is taking FOREVER to process. *impatiently taps foot*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17772
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in no tone of voice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lightening020
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 23, 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 657

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swbluto wrote:
Ilka wrote:
My husband does not have a monotonous tone of voice. My kids therapist says her voice was monotonous when she started treating her. I never noticed it. I always liked the way my daughter talks. She has the sweetest tone of voice, speaks like singing, snd uses the most sofisticated words. I knew she talked differently because everybody said so, but I never found it monotonous. I did notice she used a lot of phrases from TV and movies, tough.


Okay, is there a distinct "autistic tone" that's not strictly monotonous? Such as... possibly, "flatter" or "less varied" or "less tonal" as described earlier? Or... higher pitched or "more annoying" possibly? Geekier, mayhaps? Laughing

Also, females tend to be less impacted in the nonverbal domain by aspergers and I'm male, so I'm specifically asking about males.

*random rant*

O

M

G

... my youtube vid is taking FOREVER to process. *impatiently taps foot*


I think there can be different varieties. Some people sound really geeky and high-pitched, like Alex. I think my voice is more monotonous but with a coarse choppy whisper to it. I do try intonate my voice, but I don't think it makes as much of a difference as I think it does.

I remember back in high school, for a spanish project I had to make a video where I was little kid. Speaking in spanish, I expended alot of energy tweaking my voice as I was speaking to sound high pitched like a kid. I really twisted my vocal cords, I tried really hard, spoke at the top of my lungs near my neck instead of lower, and it sounded different to me.

When we watched the video in class, I remember the teacher and a few students agreed, criticizing me for sounding the same as I always did. Why couldn't he do a different voice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swbluto
System architect and nanobot commander
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 27, 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 2899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this voice either distinctively autistic or neurotypical?





[I have a perfectly intonated, mellifluous female voice in my mind when reading the passage, but I sound nothing like that. Laughing ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jory
Always in the wrong place at the wrong time
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 03, 2011
Age: 31
Posts: 8057
Location: Tornado Alley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a microphone. The voice in the video above has much more inflection than mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CockneyRebel
Mick Avory, Sensitive brown-eyed Sweet Pea
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 18, 2004
Age: 39
Posts: 91267
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak with a deep South London drone. I've posted a video of a famous person with the same speech patterns. I don't wish to do it a 4th time.
_________________
The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/Cocknee/Kinks/Sweet%20Pea%20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pollyfinite
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: Jul 07, 2011
Posts: 317

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband has a distinct kind of accent that makes him just sound different. Kind of monotone but kind of like weird inflections. He also has a very different walk, or gait.
_________________
It's an emu egg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RarePegs
Velociraptor
Velociraptor


Joined: Oct 21, 2008
Posts: 416
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swbluto wrote:
Is anyone brave enough to upload a voice sample of them reading this passage?

Quote:
Molly crept out the door onto the front porch. Early morning. A fresh new day. Their old farmhouse sat comfortably on an acre of grass and gardens, surrounded by trees. Distant traffic sounds filtered through trees: muted background music. Molly sat on the steps and took a deep contented breath. Dawn's ragged swirls of mist lingered among the maple and fir trees. Two robins pecked in the grass looking for worms. Mom's bed of daffodils glowed yellow in the morning light. Molly hugged herself, while a nippy breeze poked through her thin cotton nightie. And then she saw them. They stepped out of the mist-laden gloom between the trees, one dainty step after the other, across the grass in front of her. There were three of them: a deer and her two young fawns. Molly held her breath. Awesome!


I'll do it, but I need to figure out how to upload it. Somehow, I'm guessing youtube will be involved.


Try Audioboo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art