WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 15

Slow Paced Jobs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Work and finding a Job     
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17923
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Slow Paced Jobs? Reply with quote

Do they exist? I have come to the conclusion left overs from college loans/grants are not going to be enough for me to afford to move out. So I am thinking of trying to work for a while either after this semester or the next one. But I know I will fail misrabley at a fast paced job.......but it seems most jobs are that way. So are there any jobs that do not require awesome people skills, super human abilities not to get stressed/overwhelmed in fast paced situations while wearing a smile the whole time?

I just really don't know what the hell to do, I mean not only is college not providing enough income but I seem to have lost a lot of motivation for it especially since I have no idea what I would do with a degree if I did manage to aqquire one. So there is working, but how reliable is that when I can get fired just as quickly as I can get hired? I mean how am I supposed to pay any rent or start paying back any of those loans if I cannot keep a job?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilasP
Butterfly
Butterfly


Joined: Aug 25, 2011
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotel Night Auditor is a slow-paced job. I can tell you this because I am doing it currently.

I could tell you a lot about night auditing, but I think the Wikipedia article about night auditing explains it well:

I would post the address of the article but this message board is not permitting me to do so.

Guest services involves checking guests in and showing them to their rooms, carrying luggage, fetching requested items (like fans, heaters, toothpaste, soda, tea), making new reservations, giving directions, etcetera. They sometimes have to ask that loud guests kindly refrain from keeping other guests awake. However, guest interaction is considerably reduced compared to daytime.

Overnight, this employee is a basic bookkeeper who ensures that guests are correctly and completely billed. Also this person collects and reviews sales records from various parts of the business (like rooms, restaurant, gift shop, etcetera) and combines them into an overall nightly report, making corrections where errors appear.

They might also do walks to ensure that the property is secure and not wasting energy. They might have to call police, fire department or ambulance if a problem escalates beyond their control, especially as they are often working alone without the company of another employee or even another awake person.

It can become fast-paced on a busy night but it is mostly laid back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17923
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilasP wrote:
Hotel Night Auditor is a slow-paced job. I can tell you this because I am doing it currently.

I could tell you a lot about night auditing, but I think the Wikipedia article about night auditing explains it well:

I would post the address of the article but this message board is not permitting me to do so.

Guest services involves checking guests in and showing them to their rooms, carrying luggage, fetching requested items (like fans, heaters, toothpaste, soda, tea), making new reservations, giving directions, etcetera. They sometimes have to ask that loud guests kindly refrain from keeping other guests awake. However, guest interaction is considerably reduced compared to daytime.

Overnight, this employee is a basic bookkeeper who ensures that guests are correctly and completely billed. Also this person collects and reviews sales records from various parts of the business (like rooms, restaurant, gift shop, etcetera) and combines them into an overall nightly report, making corrections where errors appear.

They might also do walks to ensure that the property is secure and not wasting energy. They might have to call police, fire department or ambulance if a problem escalates beyond their control, especially as they are often working alone without the company of another employee or even another awake person.

It can become fast-paced on a busy night but it is mostly laid back.


yeah even that sounds very stressful...I don't do the ask people to quiet down or otherwise enforce rules thing very well, because I am usually unable to approach people unless it is a situation in which they desire to be approached. I suck at math so the sales rreport thing and making sure guests are correctly/completely billed would not be too good....but it seems like it could be better than a fast food place or grocery store.

Though I also feel like that job could involve over the phone stuff...and I am not very strong and could not carry much luggage at all....maybe one medium sized luggage bag at a time rather slowly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigJohnnyCool
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: May 16, 2010
Age: 23
Posts: 330

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if this is true as well.

I've been going to college for 2 years working in the field of communications, in the hopes of working with videos (cutting, splicing, pasting, etc.) and the more I've gotten into the field, the more difficult it has been for me to look for and narrow down something specific in working with videos. Now I feel like I'm in need of some serious job counseling.

Is there any sort of job that is slow paced and easy (as far as duties-wise) goes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Looneytunes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl


Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobs that does not require much effort - tends not to pay very much.

When trying to pay back school loans, you need to make as much money as possible.

I had a GF once who went to school for woman's studies.
Her parents both worked, hence she was not eligible for grants and stuff like that, so she put it all on a credit card.

When I broke up with her, she was $36,000 in the hole.
At 18% interest on the card and only paying the minimum amount each month.
It would take her about 40 years to pay back $18,000.00

When I found out that she needed to go back to school for 4 more years before she could even get a job, and when she got a job, it would have to be in a city and I don't like cities - I fave her the big heave ho.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17923
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looneytunes wrote:
Jobs that does not require much effort - tends not to pay very much.

When trying to pay back school loans, you need to make as much money as possible.

I had a GF once who went to school for woman's studies.
Her parents both worked, hence she was not eligible for grants and stuff like that, so she put it all on a credit card.

When I broke up with her, she was $36,000 in the hole.
At 18% interest on the card and only paying the minimum amount each month.
It would take her about 40 years to pay back $18,000.00

When I found out that she needed to go back to school for 4 more years before she could even get a job, and when she got a job, it would have to be in a city and I don't like cities - I fave her the big heave ho.


Well uhh I can't keep up with fast paced jobs....even if my life depended on it I doubt I could, so I guess I will have to defer it for as long as possible.
_________________
Winter is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexender
Dodo bird
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 03, 2012
Age: 22
Posts: 1194
Location: wrongplanet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked at walmart in the bakery, deli, and lawn and garden. I have had to help in grocery a little, and can cashier, so for the basic positions at walmart I know a lot of different areas. The deli in some ways you didn't have to do much there. Clean stuff, slice meat/cheese, frying food, get food for people at the fresh food area. It could get hectic, but compared to the other positions it isn't to bad. There was one person in the deli that I worked with that did not have good people skills. The other people in the deli said that he had OCD, but I think he either had aspergers (or both), for a couple of reasons. For closing down the stuff (about 6pm to 11) it is pretty slow and stuff has to be down at a certain times. Plus you can (are not supposed to, but even the manager does) eat some of the food Smile

I really like lawn and garden and the deli out of the areas I have worked at walmart, not saying I would choose that as a career, but as a college job or earlier I think those are pretty good.
_________________
www.wrongplanet.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17923
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexender wrote:
I have worked at walmart in the bakery, deli, and lawn and garden. I have had to help in grocery a little, and can cashier, so for the basic positions at walmart I know a lot of different areas. The deli in some ways you didn't have to do much there. Clean stuff, slice meat/cheese, frying food, get food for people at the fresh food area. It could get hectic, but compared to the other positions it isn't to bad. There was one person in the deli that I worked with that did not have good people skills. The other people in the deli said that he had OCD, but I think he either had aspergers (or both), for a couple of reasons. For closing down the stuff (about 6pm to 11) it is pretty slow and stuff has to be down at a certain times. Plus you can (are not supposed to, but even the manager does) eat some of the food Smile

I really like lawn and garden and the deli out of the areas I have worked at walmart, not saying I would choose that as a career, but as a college job or earlier I think those are pretty good.


Yes I am even pathetic enough to have an issue with that.....after a half hour in wal-mart I start kind of shutting down and end up in a rather brain dead type state in which I am not very functional. So I will have to pass on that one.
_________________
Winter is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edgewaters
hibernating
Phoenix


Joined: Aug 17, 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 2427
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security can be pretty slow-paced.

Some menial and service industry type jobs can be slow paced depending on the workplace and/or the hours of your shift. Pumping gas on the midnight shift, for instance, can be pretty slow paced except for the morning rush.

But if you're an aspie and it's not a job where you're working completely alone (which is very rare), I don't know why you'd want a slow paced job. The slower the pace of the job, the more your coworkers are going to socialize with you. Plus the time will drag. I thought I wanted a slow paced job once too, until I actually got one. Now I work like the Devil is chasing me, because I came to realize that the level of personal interaction with coworkers is directly related to the pace of the work. The busier it is, the less personal interaction, because everyone has to focus on the job more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lostgirl1986
There's a party in my head.
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 29, 2012
Age: 28
Posts: 6425
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really similar to you. My first real job was a drive-thru doughnut shop and I literally sucked at it. I was very slow and I couldn't muti-task. I was slow at counting out the money. Customers were getting frustrated with me and so were the workers. I quit after my first day.

After that I just concentrated on my college education. After college I got a temp daycare job at a seventh day adventist daycare. I was so quiet and the people there were so rude to me. I worked there for 2 and a half months until I quit out of frustration and depression. I was sick of the workers rolling their eyes at me and treating me like crap.

My second job was at a daycare in Alberta. I moved there and lived with my friend who worked at the same place. I actually enjoyed my job, I had my own classroom of 8 3 1/2-4 year olds and I got to plan my own activity plans and decorate my classroom how I wanted to. My supervisor was super nice and I got paid $30.00 an hour which is amazing for child care. I worked there for 10 months until I got switched to a bigger room and I had to work with a bigger class and 2 other teachers in the room. It's because my supervisor decided to combine my class with the preschool room. I didn't like it, it was way too hectic for me and I didn't really get along with the other teachers. They'd talk behind my back. I was ready to quit so I did.

After that I moved to the city of Calgary with my boyfriend. I got a job at a daycare downtown. It was very busy and I was in a preschool room with 3 other teachers and almost 30 children. I had to close everyday as well which made me very nervous, I had to shut off all of the lights and lock a lot of doors and make sure the alarm was set. I didn't exactly like that place either, they made me feel like I was always doing something wrong.

I eventually moved back to Ontario and my mom and I started a home daycare. It's alright but it doesn't make a lot of money and the majority of the money goes to my parents for bills and my rent. I decided to switch fields to something more slow-paced and something that I know I would be good at, Library and Information Tech. I start the program in September and I'm pretty excited to start. I've also applied for disability as a back-up knowing my anxiety and stuff. I'm really hoping to move out of my parents house soon.

What about doing something like Library Page, house cleaner or doing inventory at stores during the night?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan


Joined: May 13, 2012
Age: 43
Posts: 290
Location: Gainesville FL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid retail! I have found that in jobs of the past I did much better in a small work place with as few employees and customers as possible. If it had to be retail then stock rather than cashier so you are around less people. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sweetleaf
Metalhead
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 17923
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgewaters wrote:
Security can be pretty slow-paced.

Some menial and service industry type jobs can be slow paced depending on the workplace and/or the hours of your shift. Pumping gas on the midnight shift, for instance, can be pretty slow paced except for the morning rush.

But if you're an aspie and it's not a job where you're working completely alone (which is very rare), I don't know why you'd want a slow paced job. The slower the pace of the job, the more your coworkers are going to socialize with you. Plus the time will drag. I thought I wanted a slow paced job once too, until I actually got one. Now I work like the Devil is chasing me, because I came to realize that the level of personal interaction with coworkers is directly related to the pace of the work. The busier it is, the less personal interaction, because everyone has to focus on the job more.


I can't keep up with the fast paced jobs, I've gotten fired from two jobs for being 'too slow' even when I was going as quickly and efficiently as I could. Also I don't mind socialization so much if its not judgemental people, but yeah I guess I would not want to socialize a lot of co-workers if I didn't get along with them.
_________________
Winter is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dephnitt_Leonda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg


Joined: Jan 14, 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I must be at the right place on the wrong planet. everybody kept telling me it was me but I stop listening.
I need a slow paced job as well because I need time to think, especially when the upper-stoopids... change something on me.
When it affect your life you don't have many friends, you hear stuff like:
1.You're different/weird
2.That doesn't make sense
3.All you ever do is that 'thing' & never go anywhere
4.I'll call you; I promise. | Oh, I lost the number/I was tired (who needs em anyhow?)
5.And finally: "You're fired" , "You're Fired" , "You're FIred" , "You're FIRed" , "You're FIREd" , "You're FIRED" , "You're fIRED" , "You're fiRED" , "You're firED" , "You're fireD" , "You're FireD" , "You're FiReD" , "You're FRIED" , "You're FIrED" , "You're FIReD" , "You're FRIRED" , "You're Fyer'd" , "You're Fiyerd" , "You're Fiyrr'd" , "You're Fyrr'd" , "You're radio-FLYER'd" , "You're PLIERS" , "You're DRYERED" , "You're McGwyer'd" , "You're apple-PYER'D" , "You're MYERS" , "You're SYER'D" , "You're Pryor'd" and "You're Rolling-Stoned(new)"! all because you can't keep jobs, or can't keep up well they all were wrong; I was TIRED!! 1,000 resumes and 10Yrs later nothings changed.

I just wanna be alone now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Work and finding a Job   

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art