WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 19
New Yesterday: 25

Mental repetition of phrases/words ? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Oct 18, 2011
Age: 32
Posts: 87
Location: Costa Rica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Mental repetition of phrases/words ? Reply with quote

y0
who does this?

i find myself repeating phrases over and over again in my mind, sometimes is hard to stop, can be any phrase , important or not, i dont know how my brain chooses them, maybe its random
i want to know if there is a name for this, i searched online and found something similar but it was verbal

how to stop it? is stressfull
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lawamei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Oct 26, 2011
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I have wondered about this; never met somebody else who experienced this issue. This problem also plagues me fairly often, and the phrases are usually utterly irrelevant, idiotic, or somewhat nonsensical. It can be a phrase I heard somewhere, or seem to be randomly strung together with no particular inspiration (especially the nonsensical ones.)

I have not found how to solve it yet, unfortunately. All I know at the moment is that it seems to occur more frequently when I have just woken up, am half asleep, or otherwise not intensely focused. Perhaps immerse yourself in an interesting activity, movie, book, etc.? I believe it only goes until you are so distracted that you did not realize that it had stopped right away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
btbnnyr
Rabbit In Cat's Clothing
Phoenix


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 4831
Location: Lost Angleles Carmen Santiago

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the name for this, but I wish my repetition of phrases were mental and stayed inside my skull instead of coming out of my mouth. When it comes out of your mouth, it's called palilalia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swbluto
System architect and nanobot commander
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 27, 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 2899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't know the name for this


The medical term for it in the context of schizophrenia is perservation. And, this does happen quite often for me and happens a few times in real life when I speak (One time, my cousin responded "I think we GET IT!"), so I'm suspecting I might be developing schizophrenia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jediscraps
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 20, 2010
Posts: 522

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My counselor talks to me about perseveration all the time and he's told me I am definitely not schizophrenic without me having asked. Although, he doesn't mention perseveration with me repeating things in my head. But I do that too and I don't really find that stressful exactly. When I am more relaxed it tends to come out of my mouth more. It doesn't last for an uncomfortable length of time without being unable for it to stop. It does happen frequently though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan


Joined: Oct 26, 2011
Age: 47
Posts: 264

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often repeat parts of past conversations ad nauseum, but not individual words. I ruminate, I guess. I also repeat variations of those phrases, as in "what if I said that?". It's annoying, useless and hard to stop. The only way I can stop it is to start talking out loud or engage in a conversation (a lesser evil).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Oct 18, 2011
Age: 32
Posts: 87
Location: Costa Rica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ou.. schizophrenia is scary Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shrox
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Aug 12, 2011
Posts: 3355
Location: OK let's go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that, in fact I am doing it right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker


Joined: Oct 09, 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 57
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had it my whole life. If i ever do decide to discard this life, that would probably be the main reason, it is hugely annoying. Its like a machine caught in an infinite loop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Eloa
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 10, 2011
Posts: 884

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it with music in my head, I can keep on "hearing" the same piece of music. There is a waltz from Chopin for example which "accompanies" me now for several years.
It happens especially when I have for example to go downtown, because I have to go and buy clothes or anything and to me it feels like a "protection" from all the stimuli in this big city with all that people and sounds and movements and colors, because I have severe sensory issues.

It's a vague theory, but could it possibly be a sort of "mental stimming"? To me it feels like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CocoRock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker


Joined: Jun 27, 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eloa - I think you have a good point about mental stimming. It's as though having something already in your mind prevents the influx of sensory input as you walk around, perhaps shops or somewhere.

I get this too. Do you think it's to do with noticing the details rather than the bigger picture (an autistic trait)?

For example, I can suddenly realise that my mind is repeating the company name I saw on the side of a passing van and sometimes this irrelevant info moves into the forefront of my mind and I realise it's there and think, 'Oh, I can drop that bit now'.

Related to this, I am a cyclist and when I'm on the roads, where it's vital to concentrate on numerous things at once, I cannot afford to have needless info getting into my mind. So, frequently, I think of song to purposely get stuck in my head for the journey (not actually listening to it on the journey though) and then it keeps out that bombardment of info that otherwise crowds in.

I used to take advantage of this occurance too, when food shopping. As I was adding up the running total of my shopping in the basket, I would hold the running total in mind. Often though, on the way home, the total would still be repeating itself in my mind and I'd have to remember to forget it - if that makes sense!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan


Joined: Oct 26, 2011
Age: 47
Posts: 264

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eloa wrote:
I have it with music in my head, I can keep on "hearing" the same piece of music. There is a waltz from Chopin for example which "accompanies" me now for several years.
It happens especially when I have for example to go downtown, because I have to go and buy clothes or anything and to me it feels like a "protection" from all the stimuli in this big city with all that people and sounds and movements and colors, because I have severe sensory issues.

It's a vague theory, but could it possibly be a sort of "mental stimming"? To me it feels like that.


I get songs stuck in my head very often, sometimes for several days and I can't get rid of them. Most of the time it's something I haven't even heard recently or don't even like. I try to get rid of them by listening to something else. But often, once I turn the music off, the stupid song comes right back. It's very annoying and tiring, I feel like banging my had against something to make it stop. I don't feel like it's a protective mechanism for me, it's tiring and distracting, in a bad way. I'm trying to do something or think of something else but the repeating song gets in the way. It makes me want hurt myself.

I'm a cyclist too and interestingly I don't remember this happening to me on long weekend rides, but it does happen when I ride my bike to work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CocoRock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker


Joined: Jun 27, 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - It's also on my route to work that this happens when I'm cycling, rather than a more relaxed ride just for fun. Maybe it's related to having to think about numerous things.

Sometimes my thoughts go into the tune I've got stuck in my mind and I subconsciously use it to my advantage. E.g. When I'm at traffic lights and they go green, my thoughts sometimes go into the tune that's stuck in my head - so it often goes, 'Green, Green, Green!' to the tune of a song that my church sings, that goes, 'Grace, Grace, Grace!' Hehe. But it works!

It is an annoying and stressful occurence but having thought about it here properly for the first time, I'm grateful and relieved that my mind is working with it, when under pressure, to cope rather than cave in. I think I'd struggle to get myself to work otherwise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MerciXFaveur
Raven
Raven


Joined: May 02, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 103
Location: West Sussex, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting

I experiece this also. I will often repeat the same word over and over, sometimes for an extended period time. This can stretches over days albeit on a more intermittent basis. Others can be on an intense but transient basis.

Examples are the following words:

Fenugreek (I commonly repeat this word in my head for no reason whatsoever)
Duplicitous (This adjective is more of a recent product of the rotary engine of inconsequential inner-monologue)
Honiara (Capital of the Solomon Islands)
Reinventing The Wheel (Example of an idiom that I have been repeating to myself recently)

To me it feels a bit like the subjacent of having a song or poem on loop in your head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eloa
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 10, 2011
Posts: 884

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CocoRock wrote:
Eloa - I think you have a good point about mental stimming. It's as though having something already in your mind prevents the influx of sensory input as you walk around, perhaps shops or somewhere.

I get this too. Do you think it's to do with noticing the details rather than the bigger picture (an autistic trait)?

For example, I can suddenly realise that my mind is repeating the company name I saw on the side of a passing van and sometimes this irrelevant info moves into the forefront of my mind and I realise it's there and think, 'Oh, I can drop that bit now'.

Related to this, I am a cyclist and when I'm on the roads, where it's vital to concentrate on numerous things at once, I cannot afford to have needless info getting into my mind. So, frequently, I think of song to purposely get stuck in my head for the journey (not actually listening to it on the journey though) and then it keeps out that bombardment of info that otherwise crowds in.

I used to take advantage of this occurance too, when food shopping. As I was adding up the running total of my shopping in the basket, I would hold the running total in mind. Often though, on the way home, the total would still be repeating itself in my mind and I'd have to remember to forget it - if that makes sense!


Yes, I guess it has to do with noticing the details. Because when I have to go outside, there are far too many details and I get overwhelmed and overloaded. As a result to that the music comes up in my head ( I don't do it consciously) so for me it's a sort of "stimming", because it is very repetitive, sometimes repeating one line over and over again.

AdamDZ wrote:
Eloa wrote:
I have it with music in my head, I can keep on "hearing" the same piece of music. There is a waltz from Chopin for example which "accompanies" me now for several years.
It happens especially when I have for example to go downtown, because I have to go and buy clothes or anything and to me it feels like a "protection" from all the stimuli in this big city with all that people and sounds and movements and colors, because I have severe sensory issues.

It's a vague theory, but could it possibly be a sort of "mental stimming"? To me it feels like that.


I get songs stuck in my head very often, sometimes for several days and I can't get rid of them. Most of the time it's something I haven't even heard recently or don't even like. I try to get rid of them by listening to something else. But often, once I turn the music off, the stupid song comes right back. It's very annoying and tiring, I feel like banging my had against something to make it stop. I don't feel like it's a protective mechanism for me, it's tiring and distracting, in a bad way. I'm trying to do something or think of something else but the repeating song gets in the way. It makes me want hurt myself.

I'm a cyclist too and interestingly I don't remember this happening to me on long weekend rides, but it does happen when I ride my bike to work.


This I know as well, but it can happen any time. But what I am describing feels different from that and it doesn't bother me but helps me in fact not to get overwhelmed by visual and auditive information.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art