WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 15

OCD on Grammar and Spelling 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Feb 17, 2012
Posts: 86
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: OCD on Grammar and Spelling Reply with quote

I can get really OCD on grammar and spelling. Whenever I see typos or common grammar mistakes, I can get rather frustrated on the inside, especially when not correcting them.

I do correct people on their grammar all the time during conversations. This is often not appreciated, probably because it might seem rather interruptive. In online chats I often end up linking images like this one (link), hoping people will look at that and stop making the common mistakes that annoy me so much. Laughing

I wonder what to do to make myself more tolerant towards things like this ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mithos
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 685
Location: Ponyville, Equestria.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same.
_________________
{{Certified Coffeeholic.}}
I have Severe ADHD (Diagnosed), Tics and Mild OCD. [Fully Alert, Test Retaken.]
------------------------------
Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
OliveOilMom
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 9620

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that too. I always want to correct grammar in posts. Misspelling simple words gets on my nerves, although I do misspell things from time to time. One of the most embarrassing instances of that was years ago when I ripped on a poster in an email group who constantly used incorrect grammar. I had gotten tired of it after months of seeing it. Now, I don't alway use correct grammar in my posts, because sometimes I'm going for more of a casual tone. I certainly don't speak with correct grammar at all, unless I need to for some reason. However, when I ripped into that one poster, I mentioned the grammar problems several times. I was sure that I got my point across. Then it was pointed out that I spelled it "grammer" in the entire post.

My bad.
_________________
Menopause is just God's little joke, because getting old just isn't bad enough all by itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Feb 17, 2012
Posts: 86
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OliveOilMom wrote:
Then it was pointed out that I spelled it "grammer" in the entire post.


I actually fear those situations. When people correct me on grammar and spelling it feels rather embarrassing indeed. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OliveOilMom
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 9620

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you feel about regional differences in grammatic usage? I could give you so many examples of normal, every day conversation that is so full of errors that your head would explode. Also, some sentences take on an entirely different meaning depending on which word you put the emphasis on. We use a lot of double negatives, we drop letters and whole syllables, we combine two words to make one (inkpen, pokeypin, hosepipe, etc) and we construct sentences incorrectly "Where you at?" or "Where you live at?". We explain distances by time. It's about ten minutes away. It's about an hour away. "Go about five minutes up the road and take a left" We understand this on some sort of basic level, and we can find places by using that. Without being given the speed to drive, because it's assumed. And it's not always the speed limit.

Also macaroni and cheese is a vegetable here.

So, what's your opinion of the regional vernaculars?
_________________
Menopause is just God's little joke, because getting old just isn't bad enough all by itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mummy_of_Peanut
Countess de Noir
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 21, 2011
Age: 41
Posts: 3611
Location: Bonnie Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another grammar pedant. I don't mind it so much in the spoken word, but in the written word, I hate it. But, I don't correct anyone, unless they ask me to.

One that really gets me is 'must of', instead of 'must have'. Now, I can understand how someone can say it wrongly, because if you miss out the 'h', which is a common way of speaking, they do sound alike. But, how can anyone write it wrongly?

Lynn Truss's (How many would leave out the last 's' there?) book, 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' is one of my favourite reads.
_________________
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiatic about." Charles Kingsley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kestrel
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 14, 2012
Posts: 574
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a nitpicker when it comes to my own language use. Several people have yelled at me for nitpicking their language use, so I'm inclined to keep it to myself anymore. I really, really want to correct bad grammar and incorrect language use when I see it, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull


Joined: Jan 05, 2012
Age: 47
Posts: 207

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Feb 17, 2012
Posts: 86
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OliveOilMom wrote:
Also macaroni and cheese is a vegetable here.

Shocked

When speaking with someone I always notice the large amounts of 'shortcuts' being taken. I don't actually mind as much when they skip a verb, unless skipping it makes the whole sentence confusing. If someone uses a double negative, I always correct them because I generally find these very confusing as well.

Combined words are perfectly fine as long as I understand them and they're not redundant.

People explaining distances by time is not very annoying. It's more common that people (or people here at least) seem to explain distance more as the actual distance, or number of streets in between (similar to using people using 'blocks' in the US).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kestrel
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 14, 2012
Posts: 574
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unspecified wrote:

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Feb 17, 2012
Posts: 86
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
One that really gets me is 'must of', instead of 'must have'. Now, I can understand how someone can say it wrongly, because if you miss out the 'h', which is a common way of speaking, they do sound alike. But, how can anyone write it wrongly?


I've seen that one a lot, and the few people I asked actually seemed to think it's the correct way to do it. "Must've" when spoken sounds very similar to "must of", and with many people using it, I guess it can get accepted by some people.

I think the Internet in general makes people lazy in their grammar and spelling habits, but that's just my theory Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Final_Boss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker


Joined: Feb 21, 2012
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to correct words [either typos or ones like in the link you provided] but then, as you say, people do not appreciate it so I stopped for the most part.

On the link, when it is saying not to type "alot", it says that you do not write "alittle" but I have definitely seen people using that. Also "abit".
_________________
Your Aspie score: 102 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 98 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dillogic
you really think you matter?
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 25, 2011
Posts: 5252

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not OCD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TallyMan
Gone
Forum Moderator


Joined: Mar 31, 2008
Posts: 41833

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be frustrating. Some members here have problems with dyslexia, have English as a second language or just generally have problems writing. So I urge people not to become grammar Nazis. However, I must admit that some spelling errors really grate; they are almost painful for me to read somehow. Sometimes the temptation to use my moderator powers to correct member's spelling mistakes in the subject line is overwhelming and I can't resist correcting them. Embarassed

Must... resist... Razz
_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doubutsu
Raven
Raven


Joined: Jan 20, 2012
Age: 22
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not OCD, but people sometimes label you obsessive when doing that. Maybe is related to OCPD, but I should read more about their diferences.

http://www.psychforums.com/obsessive-compulsive-personality/topic36628.html wrote:

Symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder

OCPD symptoms tend to appear early in adulthood and are defined by inflexibility, close adherence to rules, anxiety when rules are transgressed, and unrealistic perfectionism. A person with obsessive compulsive personality disorder exhibits several of the following symptoms:

  • abnormal preoccupation with lists, rules, and minor details
  • excessive devotion to work, to the detriment of social and family activities
  • miserliness or a lack of generosity
  • perfectionism that interferes with task completion, as performance is never good enough
  • refusal to throw anything away (pack-rat mentality)
  • rigid and inflexible attitude towards morals or ethical code
  • unwilling to let others perform tasks, fearing the loss of responsibility
  • upset and off-balance when rules or established routines are disrupted.



I feel the need to correct people and to answer the questions whose answer I think I know, sometimes I have joined strangers's conversations. I feel wrong if I don't do it, but I try to stop myself. I wonder if all people feel this need, the problem is that they think I want to show them my superiority or make them look like fools when correcting them. I learned programming with a teacher's website, I admired him because I was so grateful about being able to learn by just reading his blog, so once I entered his class, he noticed I wasn't from there, the problem was that the night before that day I read a program he had written that didn't worked properly and I found the error. I wanted to tell it to him so he can fix it, a friend encouraged me to follow the teacher after the class, I did, but I sounded really bad when I talked to him, I think he thinks I just went to his class to show him that he was wrong, now I feel ashamed when I see him. Something that makes me angry is that after I talked with the teacher my friend said "It wasn't actually a good idea", then why did he encouraged me to do it? Sad That happened two years ago, I wonder if the teacher still remembers it, sometimes I want to apologize or explain myself but maybe it's weird to do it after all this time.

TallyMan wrote:
It can be frustrating. Some members here have problems with dyslexia, have English as a second language or just generally have problems writing. So I urge people not to become grammar Nazis. However, I must admit that some spelling errors really grate; they are almost painful for me to read somehow. Sometimes the temptation to use my moderator powers to correct member's spelling mistakes in the subject line is overwhelming and I can't resist correcting them. Embarassed
Must... resist... Razz

I would like my grammar being corrected so I can learn to write properly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   
1, 2  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art