WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 23

Are Amish racists? 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion     
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
emotionally disturbed rationalist
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Posts: 10190
Location: Murgatroyd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Are Amish racists? Reply with quote

How come you never see any Amish that are a race becides caucasian and yet everyone praises them to the skies and treats them like they would the Holy Grail. I think Amish are backward and overrated I don't see people's fascination with them or their way of life. They are stuck in time imo.
And they have no blacks, Hispanics or Asians among them and yet no one ever complains about it.
So are they racist or not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
starkid
Dangerous
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 10, 2012
Posts: 2133
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amish are of a common stock (German, if I recall correctly), and keeping to themselves is part of their way of life; they avoid all outsiders, including others of European descent. Racism is not their motivation.
_________________
Assume nothing; question everything.
Civilization cannot exist without exploitation.
Humans are animals.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AspieOtaku
Leader of the Otaku Legion
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 18, 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 10398
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amish love living in primitave colonial times due to their strict bible thumping beliefs and also dont believe in birth control! No tv no internet no radio talk about boring all work and no play and singing christian songs!
_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? http://www.anime44.com/anime-list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CosmicRuss
Best Stored at 19.5°C
Phoenix


Joined: May 01, 2010
Posts: 3956
Location: Location:Location

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be fair to add there are different types of Amish.

In that awful Breaking Amish programme which aired here in the UK on TCL, one of the participants was adopted by an Amish couple and she was of Italian/Puerto Rican biological parents. So some Amish are therefore less isolated and strict.
_________________
“Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt"
- CosmicRuss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
emotionally disturbed rationalist
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Posts: 10190
Location: Murgatroyd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them are all from the same group of genes which leads me to believe they are pretty much related to each other. I have no problem with them except for the fact so many are in awe of them. This friend I since broke up with was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Amish people and I am like, why??? I just don't get it. I really don't. Why do people like to put them on such a pedestal?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AspieOtaku
Leader of the Otaku Legion
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 18, 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 10398
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Most of them are all from the same group of genes which leads me to believe they are pretty much related to each other. I have no problem with them except for the fact so many are in awe of them. This friend I since broke up with was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Amish people and I am like, why??? I just don't get it. I really don't. Why do people like to put them on such a pedestal?
I dont, I think they are primitive and boring people! They might think im a warlock because im left handed too!
_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? http://www.anime44.com/anime-list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
emotionally disturbed rationalist
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Posts: 10190
Location: Murgatroyd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Most of them are all from the same group of genes which leads me to believe they are pretty much related to each other. I have no problem with them except for the fact so many are in awe of them. This friend I since broke up with was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Amish people and I am like, why??? I just don't get it. I really don't. Why do people like to put them on such a pedestal?
I dont, I think they are primitive and boring people! They might think im a warlock because im left handed too!

Another thing I don't understand, every exclusive, separate group that frowns upon outsiders and is mostly made of one gene pool gets called racist by outsiders none of them escape that label but I have never in my life heard anyone call the Amish racist. They always talk about how wonderful and graceful they are and admire them for behaving like what they accuse others of being COMMUNISTS. Come on, members of the same community going to another's house and building a barn just for the fun of it and to help another out is basically communism yet when Amish do it all the other Christian Europeans talk about how great, wonderful and gracious the Amish are and we as mere mortals cannot compete with such high standards. Why are they so worshiped?
I never hear or see any bad press.
Once, on Animal Planet, they had this draft horse, he was really nice and pretty only he had been nearly worked to death and was very sick and beat up from heavy, chafing harnesses and neglect. His feet were in really bad shape and he was in danger of being sold as dog meat. A horse rescuer was able to get him from the auction due to donations and she had to pay for his vet bills and everything. She said he came from Amish farms. If he had come from any other place, everyone would be all pissed off and made quite a commotion but everyone seems to feel duty bound to excuse the Amish for what others get a ton of flack for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AspieOtaku
Leader of the Otaku Legion
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 18, 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 10398
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Most of them are all from the same group of genes which leads me to believe they are pretty much related to each other. I have no problem with them except for the fact so many are in awe of them. This friend I since broke up with was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Amish people and I am like, why??? I just don't get it. I really don't. Why do people like to put them on such a pedestal?
I dont, I think they are primitive and boring people! They might think im a warlock because im left handed too!

Another thing I don't understand, every exclusive, separate group that frowns upon outsiders and is mostly made of one gene pool gets called racist by outsiders none of them escape that label but I have never in my life heard anyone call the Amish racist. They always talk about how wonderful and graceful they are and admire them for behaving like what they accuse others of being COMMUNISTS. Come on, members of the same community going to another's house and building a barn just for the fun of it and to help another out is basically communism yet when Amish do it all the other Christian Europeans talk about how great, wonderful and gracious the Amish are and we as mere mortals cannot compete with such high standards. Why are they so worshiped?
I never hear or see any bad press.
Once, on Animal Planet, they had this draft horse, he was really nice and pretty only he had been nearly worked to death and was very sick and beat up from heavy, chafing harnesses and neglect. His feet were in really bad shape and he was in danger of being sold as dog meat. A horse rescuer was able to get him from the auction due to donations and she had to pay for his vet bills and everything. She said he came from Amish farms. If he had come from any other place, everyone would be all pissed off and made quite a commotion but everyone seems to feel duty bound to excuse the Amish for what others get a ton of flack for.
Thats no excuse to be cruel to animals I wouldnt be surprised if they beat their wives and kids either!
_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? http://www.anime44.com/anime-list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
emotionally disturbed rationalist
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Posts: 10190
Location: Murgatroyd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Most of them are all from the same group of genes which leads me to believe they are pretty much related to each other. I have no problem with them except for the fact so many are in awe of them. This friend I since broke up with was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Amish people and I am like, why??? I just don't get it. I really don't. Why do people like to put them on such a pedestal?
I dont, I think they are primitive and boring people! They might think im a warlock because im left handed too!

Another thing I don't understand, every exclusive, separate group that frowns upon outsiders and is mostly made of one gene pool gets called racist by outsiders none of them escape that label but I have never in my life heard anyone call the Amish racist. They always talk about how wonderful and graceful they are and admire them for behaving like what they accuse others of being COMMUNISTS. Come on, members of the same community going to another's house and building a barn just for the fun of it and to help another out is basically communism yet when Amish do it all the other Christian Europeans talk about how great, wonderful and gracious the Amish are and we as mere mortals cannot compete with such high standards. Why are they so worshiped?
I never hear or see any bad press.
Once, on Animal Planet, they had this draft horse, he was really nice and pretty only he had been nearly worked to death and was very sick and beat up from heavy, chafing harnesses and neglect. His feet were in really bad shape and he was in danger of being sold as dog meat. A horse rescuer was able to get him from the auction due to donations and she had to pay for his vet bills and everything. She said he came from Amish farms. If he had come from any other place, everyone would be all pissed off and made quite a commotion but everyone seems to feel duty bound to excuse the Amish for what others get a ton of flack for.
Thats no excuse to be cruel to animals I wouldnt be surprised if they beat their wives and kids either!

They follow "spare the rod spoil the child" edict from the Holy Bible and are firm exercisers of corporal punishment and everyone praises them like they are the only good people left on earth. They are descendants of German anabaptists fleeing religious prosecution in Europe in the 1700s and they have had the same gene pool since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MR_BOGAN
Mysterios Dirty Dancer
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 06, 2008
Posts: 3200
Location: The great trailer park in the sky!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch this you tube you will get the answer of whether they are racist or not... chin




_________________
Dirty Dancing (1987) - Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8CmMJf8QA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AspieOtaku
Leader of the Otaku Legion
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 18, 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 10398
Location: Los Altos, California, United States

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Most of them are all from the same group of genes which leads me to believe they are pretty much related to each other. I have no problem with them except for the fact so many are in awe of them. This friend I since broke up with was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Amish people and I am like, why??? I just don't get it. I really don't. Why do people like to put them on such a pedestal?
I dont, I think they are primitive and boring people! They might think im a warlock because im left handed too!

Another thing I don't understand, every exclusive, separate group that frowns upon outsiders and is mostly made of one gene pool gets called racist by outsiders none of them escape that label but I have never in my life heard anyone call the Amish racist. They always talk about how wonderful and graceful they are and admire them for behaving like what they accuse others of being COMMUNISTS. Come on, members of the same community going to another's house and building a barn just for the fun of it and to help another out is basically communism yet when Amish do it all the other Christian Europeans talk about how great, wonderful and gracious the Amish are and we as mere mortals cannot compete with such high standards. Why are they so worshiped?
I never hear or see any bad press.
Once, on Animal Planet, they had this draft horse, he was really nice and pretty only he had been nearly worked to death and was very sick and beat up from heavy, chafing harnesses and neglect. His feet were in really bad shape and he was in danger of being sold as dog meat. A horse rescuer was able to get him from the auction due to donations and she had to pay for his vet bills and everything. She said he came from Amish farms. If he had come from any other place, everyone would be all pissed off and made quite a commotion but everyone seems to feel duty bound to excuse the Amish for what others get a ton of flack for.
Thats no excuse to be cruel to animals I wouldnt be surprised if they beat their wives and kids either!

They follow "spare the rod spoil the child" edict from the Holy Bible and are firm exercisers of corporal punishment and everyone praises them like they are the only good people left on earth. They are descendants of German anabaptists fleeing religious prosecution in Europe in the 1700s and they have had the same gene pool since.
Their family tree doesnt seem to branch either!
_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? http://www.anime44.com/anime-list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 343

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never hear of anyone becoming the Amish, that they're all white is no surprise. I agree they're put on a pedestal too much, but I have seen some bad press in my area and I've been told that they can be cruel to their animals. Nobody cares if they are semi-communist because so few people know a lot about them and they aren't trying to impress they're beliefs on anybody. I think they get put on a pedestal, at least in my area, largely because of their response to the Nickel Mines school shooting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kraichgauer
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Age: 48
Posts: 18719
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist? No - most people, other than the descendants of Swiss and south German Mennonites who have since become the Amish lead such a simple life, and adhere to such a strict moral code that most people, white or not, have no interest in joining their numbers.
_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrantPariah
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2012
Posts: 8800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrantPariah
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2012
Posts: 8800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion   
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art