WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 12

PA high school stabbing 1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> News and Current Events     
raisedbyignorance
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 2199
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: PA high school stabbing Reply with quote

Prepare for the onslaught (pun unintended) of 'sarcastic' conservatives calling for a ban on knives. (That joke got old after the Boston bombings last year but that I doubt that will stop them.) Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willard
Graphic Autist
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 24, 2008
Posts: 6030

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You have to pass it to find out what's in it." doh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KenM
an i mal
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 16, 2005
Age: 46
Posts: 1580
Location: Mass. USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give this 3 hours before the media says the person that did this was quiet with AS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toy_Soldier
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 18, 2012
Posts: 2710

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the lessons of this knife attack is that gun control alone is not going to solve the current rash of mass murders/injuries. A parallel series of knife and axe attacks is btw, also also occurring in China.

Although I personally support having stricter gun laws and limitations, it is because it just makes pragmatic sense to me, but I do not believe will have much effect on preventing events such as this. I think for many though, stricter gun control was their only response, to a problem that is not caused by guns. So in a way it is the wrong focus in addressing this problem.

Clusters of Aberrant violent behaviors following a pattern are nothing new. In the US, some that come to mind in my lifetime are the 'Fraggings' (soldiers killing their own unpopular officers with a Fragmentary grenade) during the 60's in Vietnam, the many hostage takings in the 70's, and now the mass shootings (and knifing) often in schools, since the 90's.

If you want to approach this problem you have to look at things beyond just guns. There is a pattern with a large percentage of the attackers having been bullied, socially isolated, etc. But that has always occurred and it is only in the last 20 years kids have resorted to this mass violence response. What surprises me, is how easily people will throw their lives away, doing these things and often committing suicide as well. I am not sure, but guess hopelessness, a sense of futility, a lack of belief in a better future is a factor.
_________________
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NotThatClever13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse


Joined: Feb 27, 2014
Age: 28
Posts: 47
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real issues in these instances have nothing to do with weapons at all. People just want something easy to blame so they can make a law banning something and everything will be all better. The real issue is the people themselves. Everyone included. Every time you ignore someone or treat someone badly you are contributing to this problem. When you shun people or cast them out of your group because they are different or weird you add to the problem. Until Everyone as an individual decides to work on accepting others, especially when they are different, these things will continue occur.

Shooting and violence in schools is nothing new. These events have been occuring since the turn of the 20th century. There is simply more media coverage of it now.
_________________
You two, we’re at the end of the universe. Okay?! Right at the edge of knowledge itself! And you’re busy… blogging!!
- Doctor Who, Season 3 Episode 11
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YippySkippy
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 2155

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids and teenagers treat each other horribly because:
1. Their brains are immature. (can't do anything about that)
2. Too many kids being raised by double-income parents who don't have the time or energy to do the job properly, and who were in many cases latch-key kids themselves and don't have any experience with involved parenting.
3. Media violence (the effects of which would be mitigated with better parenting)
4. Capitalism. 49,000 American citizens die each year because they can't afford health care, despite the fact that our government is by far the wealthiest in the world. Life is not held sacred in our society.

It's really not surprising that, every now and then, one of these kids snaps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adamantium
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 2020
Location: New Jersey in the orbit of New York City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenM wrote:
I give this 3 hours before the media says the person that did this was quiet with AS.


Having the same thought.

The thing that caught my attention about this story was the note that the perp was described as "really shy"

"here we go again," I thought.

I expect all sorts of discussion of Adam Lanza and this kid and people suggesting that "really shy" kids should be chipped and monitored or whatever...

Then they will get back to talking about how it's a violation of everyone's second amendment rights that they can't mount 50 cal machine guns in their trucks or keep tactical nukes in the garage or whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker


Joined: Aug 24, 2005
Age: 30
Posts: 193
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamantium wrote:
KenM wrote:
I give this 3 hours before the media says the person that did this was quiet with AS.


Having the same thought.

The thing that caught my attention about this story was the note that the perp was described as "really shy"

"here we go again," I thought.

I expect all sorts of discussion of Adam Lanza and this kid and people suggesting that "really shy" kids should be chipped and monitored or whatever...

Then they will get back to talking about how it's a violation of everyone's second amendment rights that they can't mount 50 cal machine guns in their trucks or keep tactical nukes in the garage or whatever.


Well, USA Today has already brought up the "shy" part of the angle. Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/09/pa-school-stabbings/7498911/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BuyerBeware
Irregular polygon
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 29, 2011
Age: 36
Posts: 2081
Location: PA, USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevilInPgh wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
KenM wrote:
I give this 3 hours before the media says the person that did this was quiet with AS.


Having the same thought.

The thing that caught my attention about this story was the note that the perp was described as "really shy"

"here we go again," I thought.

I expect all sorts of discussion of Adam Lanza and this kid and people suggesting that "really shy" kids should be chipped and monitored or whatever...

Then they will get back to talking about how it's a violation of everyone's second amendment rights that they can't mount 50 cal machine guns in their trucks or keep tactical nukes in the garage or whatever.


Well, USA Today has already brought up the "shy" part of the angle. Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/09/pa-school-stabbings/7498911/


Here too. Once again, I'd like to hop in the car (literally, this time-- this place is less than an hour ESE of where I'm sitting) and offer to help...

...but what I'm going to be doing is locking my door, staying inside, being thankful that I didn't obey the impulse to come out of the closet to the mom of a kid with developmental delays at preschool, and hoping I still have some civil rights (both de facto and de jure) when the dust settles.

I wish I could help, but I know better than to even offer. I just want to run away.
_________________
"It's a sin that somehow, light is changing to shadow and casting its shroud over all we have known." --Pink Floyd, "On the Turning Away"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YippySkippy
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 2155

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of his classmates is reporting that he had a blank look on his face, and that he always has a blank look on his face.
How long before they make people wear the ASD version of yellow stars?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker


Joined: Aug 24, 2005
Age: 30
Posts: 193
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect's name has been released, so now I can keep tabs of Google results.

As of 5:47 PM on 4/9:
["Alex Hribal" and autism] returns 40 results, and they all seem to be "in other news"-type links.
["Alex Hribal" and Asperger] returns 0 results.

I hope these numbers don't budge, but don't count on that happening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
khaoz
Grok
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 10, 2013
Age: 58
Posts: 2374

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for the bullet idols to start saying we need more people walking around inside every school carrying firearms. Shoot now, ask questions later. Lets make every school a "stand your ground zone' is going to become the next mantra of the bullet worshipping crowd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WAautisticguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker


Joined: Mar 26, 2014
Age: 16
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless those high schoolers who were stabbed. This guy is an absolute idiot, I thank god he is being tried as an adult and I hope the other prisoners treat him "like another person", if you know what I mean?
This is why schools nowadays have upped up the security to full force. Columbine, Virginia Tech and Newtown, and now 20 stabbed in PA. Kids are going absolutely nuts nowadays and I don't know why.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raptor
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 09, 2007
Posts: 7959
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PA high school stabbing Reply with quote

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Prepare for the onslaught (pun unintended) of 'sarcastic' conservatives calling for a ban on knives. (That joke got old after the Boston bombings last year but that I doubt that will stop them.) Rolling Eyes

Actually, it's the protectionist liberals that want to ban things as a way of prevention. When we "sarcastic conservatives" ask for bans on things it's only to mock the protectionist liberals.
_________________
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pezar
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 06, 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 1943

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khaoz wrote:
Still waiting for the bullet idols to start saying we need more people walking around inside every school carrying firearms. Shoot now, ask questions later. Lets make every school a "stand your ground zone' is going to become the next mantra of the bullet worshipping crowd.


As if on cue, a suburb of Medford, Oregon, has seriously said it is considering arming teachers.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140409/NEWS/404090311

Toto, we're not in Portland anymore-far southern Oregon is extremely conservative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> News and Current Events   
1, 2, 3  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art