WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 4
New Yesterday: 15

sarcasm and personality
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
Haliphron
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 29, 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 2293

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: sarcasm and personality Reply with quote

Given that sarcasm is defined as saying something when you mean the opposite, I think its reasonable to conclude that sarcasm is a learned behaviour rather than a personality trait-unless the person is a compulsive liar Wink . So WHY do people like to say: "Sarcasm is part of my personality"? Maybe its just an excuse. I dont mind sarcasm being used in a cynical but light-hearted way but when its used derisively at me I tend to get really pissed really quickly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexje
Toucan
Toucan


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 252
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a preference for a certain way of speech is a personality trait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ephemerella
Miss Interpret
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 03, 2007
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I suspect at times that my dog has a sarcastic or ironic bent. But then, she is a poodle and they are known for being kind of intellectual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pobodys_Nerfect
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 11, 2008
Posts: 737
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to deal with it? Be nice and even flattering since the sarcastic takes the opposite?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor


Joined: Dec 04, 2008
Age: 23
Posts: 466
Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say I am heavily sarcastic, and have a dry sense of humor. I guess it doesn't matter much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
mystyc
Toucan
Toucan


Joined: Jul 22, 2008
Age: 33
Posts: 296
Location: College Station, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sometimes be sarcastic... Okay, if you read my posts then yeah, I am a sarcastic bastard, lol. However, in real life, I do not know how to use changes in pitch and tone to indicate sarcasm, and thus it comes off as merely part of my "dry wit", sometimes described as a british sort of humor (I am american).

However, this is not a natural part of my personality. Nor is humor, per se. These are skills I spent years working on in order to maintain and possess, and so I make ample use of them liberally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Warsie
Lolicon Black Nationalist
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 04, 2008
Age: 23
Posts: 3029
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haliphron wrote:
Given that sarcasm is defined as saying something when you mean the opposite, I think its reasonable to conclude that sarcasm is a learned behaviour rather than a personality trait-unless the person is a compulsive liar.


A lot of that is learned, as in they learn it due to socialization (for example, me using the O RLY owl). But some of it is genetic.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2008/03/09/6512/sarcasm..._its_in_our_genes

Quote:

k . So WHY do people like to say: "Sarcasm is part of my personality"? Maybe its just an excuse. I dont mind sarcasm being used in a cynical but light-hearted way but when its used derisively at me I tend to get really pissed really quickly.


It's either (or all/combination) A. They're trying to cover up or justify that given many people would see that as being a douchebag or asshat, or some bad guy in general and trying to justify that. Or B. It's a cultural meme done by 'bad girls' or those wanting to be aggressive. Probably C: They are NATURALLY Aggressive, Biting, Sarcastic and bitchy.

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
What's the best way to deal with it? Be nice and even flattering since the sarcastic takes the opposite?


Tell them to shut the f**k up with their bullshit..

No, I'm not being serious Razz

Seriously, If their sarcastic BS annoys you heavily, I'd say ask them to say that again without the blatant lying (which sarcasm technically is, lying and assuming you think the same way as the sarcastic bastard pulling it)

Or just ignore it or ask them to be clearer and not "beat around the bush" with their answer when they pull that on you.

EDIT: also see
http://www.livescience.com/history/080620-hn-sarcasm.html

Aren't Neurotypicals interesting?
_________________
I am a Star Wars Fan, Warsie here.
Masterdebating on chi-city's south side.......!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pakled
"Bless his Heart"
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 13, 2007
Age: 56
Posts: 7827

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been known to be a touch sarcastic (moi?...Wink But usually I keep it to myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patternist
yellow-bellied sapsucker
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Posts: 2389
Location: at my computer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mystyc wrote:
I can sometimes be sarcastic... Okay, if you read my posts then yeah, I am a sarcastic bastard, lol. However, in real life, I do not know how to use changes in pitch and tone to indicate sarcasm, and thus it comes off as merely part of my "dry wit", sometimes described as a british sort of humor (I am american).

However, this is not a natural part of my personality. Nor is humor, per se. These are skills I spent years working on in order to maintain and possess, and so I make ample use of them liberally.


Yeah, I do/did this, too. Really similar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art