!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WRONG PLANET is undergoing a major upgrade.
You will be able to access your account and post replies after this completes by tomorrow evening (EST). You may continue to access the forums by clicking here

If you want to discuss this, please Join the chatroom

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 
  WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 18

Adult diagnosis UK-Maxine Easton 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
Enormouse
Emu Egg
Emu Egg


Joined: Apr 24, 2009
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Adult diagnosis UK-Maxine Easton Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm based in the UK and have been looking into getting a private diagnosis (don't want it on my NHS record). I don't mind travelling or paying for it but there seems to be very few psychologists/psychiatrists out there offering the service.

I was wondering if anyone has had dealings with Maxine Easton (psychologist based in Coventry). She claims to be a specialist in the area, but is setting my 'quack' radar off! I've read some uncomplimentary things about her on someone's blog, so am wondering if anyone else has heard of her or indeed had a positive experience.

Would also like any tips for any other psychologists/psychiatrists able to diagnose adults.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
outlier
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Oct 17, 2008
Posts: 1526

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NAS has an autism services directory for the UK.

You can browse by category and location. There are many entries under the assessment and diagnosis category.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hovis
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Age: 40
Posts: 1016
Location: Lincolnshire, England

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where in the country you're able to travel to, but I was diagnosed by Professor Digby Tantam at Dilemma Consultancy in Sheffield. He specializes in ASDs and diagnoses both children and adults.

The fee was 440 for a two-hour assessment. I did not have to take any tests (I assume that tests would probably be used to assess a child who was not yet able to express themselves so fully, but was not necessary with an adult who could describe their thoughts); he observed me and spoke to me about my life, my interests, what I remembered from childhood and what problems I experienced, and was able to say at the end that in his opinion, I had mild AS. I personally would recommend him and found him very patient and easy to talk to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xanderbeanz
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Aug 09, 2008
Posts: 833

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

maxine aston isn't a doctor, she gives out expensive phony diagnoses that mean nothing...x
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andriarose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull


Joined: Apr 22, 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 222
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Xanderbeanz wrote:
maxine aston isn't a doctor, she gives out expensive phony diagnoses that mean nothing...x


That's not entirely true. She's a counsellor, which is what most universities require one to go to for an assessment. Her assessments are just as legit as those from any other counsellor, it just isn't a doctor-approved NHS diagnosis (which is next to impossible to get).

Speaking from experience, though, I would recommend looking around for other options. It really depends on whether you're just looking for an assessment and want to get it out of the way (she's fine for that), or if you want to speak with someone who will actually try to understand and help you without making you feel ridiculous (I'm still trying to find one of those).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AmberEyes
Not a label
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 27, 2008
Posts: 1698
Location: The Lands where the Jumblies live

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

andriarose wrote:
if you want to speak with someone who will actually try to understand and help you without making you feel ridiculous (I'm still trying to find one of those).


So am I.

I'm sick and tired of being made to feel ridiculous for just being myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danielismyname
Keep making noises... .
Phoenix


Joined: Apr 03, 2007
Posts: 9599

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

andriarose wrote:
... it just isn't a doctor-approved NHS diagnosis (which is next to impossible to get).


That's interesting. Is there a reason for why it's hard to get one in the UK, I mean one by a government funded doctor?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andriarose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull


Joined: Apr 22, 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 222
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Danielismyname wrote:
andriarose wrote:
... it just isn't a doctor-approved NHS diagnosis (which is next to impossible to get).


That's interesting. Is there a reason for why it's hard to get one in the UK, I mean one by a government funded doctor?


Because you go to them with your problems and they tell you that you are a useless waste of time, and that they have people with *real* problems to take care of.

Or at least that was my experience.

They won't provide any psychiatric support whatsoever unless you're about to hurt yourself or someone else. Apparently it's expensive for the council to cover such services. I have problems with depression as well, and I have to rely on Samaritans to help me out because the NHS won't do anything but offer me drugs. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mechanima
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 09, 2005
Posts: 591

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask you to put some opinions here:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt97391.html

I am taking a case to tribunal in a few weeks and I really need a a good, rounded piece on Maxine Aston...

M.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Enormouse
Emu Egg
Emu Egg


Joined: Apr 24, 2009
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, especially Hovis- I'll drop your chap an email and see how things go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
julie_b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker


Joined: Mar 03, 2009
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hovis wrote:
.

The fee was 440 for a two-hour assessment. I did not have to take any tests (I assume that tests would probably be used to assess a child who was not yet able to express themselves so fully, but was not necessary with an adult who could describe their thoughts); he observed me and spoke to me about my life, my interests, what I remembered from childhood and what problems I experienced, and was able to say at the end that in his opinion, I had mild AS. I personally would recommend him and found him very patient and easy to talk to.



Wow Shocked that's a lot of money. I'm in Australia and when my sons were tested it cost $800 for 4 two hour sessions and a full written report.

I've had people tell me that I should have public because it would have been free but I really don't want them in the Psych system. I view it as a neurological thing not a psychiatric disorder and I don't want them being given a psych case file number. I have always felt it was money well spent and now I feel it's also a bargain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambivalence
The Obvious Factor
Phoenix


Joined: Nov 09, 2008
Posts: 3643
Location: Peterlee (for Industry)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

andriarose wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
andriarose wrote:
... it just isn't a doctor-approved NHS diagnosis (which is next to impossible to get).


That's interesting. Is there a reason for why it's hard to get one in the UK, I mean one by a government funded doctor?


Because you go to them with your problems and they tell you that you are a useless waste of time, and that they have people with *real* problems to take care of.

Or at least that was my experience.

They won't provide any psychiatric support whatsoever unless you're about to hurt yourself or someone else. Apparently it's expensive for the council to cover such services. I have problems with depression as well, and I have to rely on Samaritans to help me out because the NHS won't do anything but offer me drugs. Sad


Yep, that's about the size of it. "You've been (insert list of the usual symptoms here, in mostly mild degree) since you were 2 years old? Some people are just like that. (sic) No need for you to talk to a specialist about it, how silly of you to ask!"

Gee, thanks, doc. Confused
_________________
No one has gone missing or died.

The year is still young.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krystalleyes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Apr 06, 2009
Age: 64
Posts: 22
Location: Avalon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise but I have obviously been very lucky with my GP - I just kind of blurted out that I thought I might have AS, she talked to me for quite a while and then said she thought it likely...asked what I wanted to do, did I need any particular help...she said I am not sure what to do with you off the top of my head, most people I know assess children - I don't want to send you to a psychiatrist because you aren't mad! But she is trying to sort something for me. Sounds as if I am in a minority, but she has been very supportive and didn't even slightly fob me off. Also doesn't leap to put you on meds...
So they are out there, but I guess it's luck of the draw which is wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aneeman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse


Joined: Apr 13, 2009
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Adult diagnosis UK-Maxine Easton Reply with quote

Enormouse wrote:
Hi,

I'm based in the UK and have been looking into getting a private diagnosis (don't want it on my NHS record). I don't mind travelling or paying for it but there seems to be very few psychologists/psychiatrists out there offering the service.

I was wondering if anyone has had dealings with Maxine Easton (psychologist based in Coventry). She claims to be a specialist in the area, but is setting my 'quack' radar off! I've read some uncomplimentary things about her on someone's blog, so am wondering if anyone else has heard of her or indeed had a positive experience.

Would also like any tips for any other psychologists/psychiatrists able to diagnose adults.

Thanks


Maxine Aston has some fairly bigoted opinions about our population. I would look for other options. ASAN's website has a link to what I'm referring to re: the AttwoodHenault petition. I'd link you to it but I can't post links for another few posts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greentea
Goddess of Wisdom
Phoenix


Joined: Jun 15, 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 5678
Location: Middle East

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would someone go to a Psychologist/Psychiatrist for a neurological evaluation? Do you find that you tend to go to a plumber for evaluation of your electrical installation?

AS has nothing whatsoever to do with illnesses of the brain (Psychiatry) or environmental trauma (Psychology). What do you expect from a Psychologist or Psychiatrist that claims to be able to diagnose a neurological condition but charlatan money-making?

Those who go to anything but a Neurologist for an AS/NLD evaluation deserve the ridiculous results they get.
_________________
So-called white lies are like fake jewelry. Adorn yourself with them if you must, but expect to look cheap to a connoisseur.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   
1, 2  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art