WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 33

AS good excuse for jury duty?? Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion     
EnglishInvader
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 828
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spokane_Girl wrote:
People using their problems or conditions as an excuse to get off makes me sick. Rolling Eyes


I would never use mine to get off, let them decide if I am fit for it or not.


I had similar attitudes in my early twenties. Wait until you've spent a few years in the real world. The powers that be will quite happily take your demands for equality at face value and use them as an excuse to screw you over in every way possible. Take my advice. Don't go there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Callista
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 04, 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 11034
Location: Central USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would personally make a very good juror; I look at facts only and am hard to manipulate because most people use emotional tactics when they try and I don't pick up on emotions. It wouldn't be conscientious of me to claim I couldn't because I have AS. However, if you don't think you'd make a good juror, you have every right to tell them, "Hey, I'm gullible as all get out and they'll probably walk all over me. Pick somebody else."

Personally, I think you yourself are most likely the best judge of whether or not you'd mess up if you had to be on a jury. Just leave it up to your conscience--can you truly not serve, or is it just that, like most of us, you'd rather not? If there's anything we tend to be good at, it's honesty, at least to ourselves.
_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
EnglishInvader
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 828
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can all lie to ourselves and pretend that AS is not a real medical condition and that we're just a marginalised element of society. We are marginalised, but we are also seriously disadvantaged through our disability. In order to get on in the world, we have to take the help available to us where we find it. Self-righteousness is a very expensive luxury for people with AS and certainly not a desirable quality for a juror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fuzzy
Atheist/Apostate Aspie
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2006
Posts: 5531
Location: Alberta Canada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callista wrote:
However, if you don't think you'd make a good juror, you have every right to tell them, "Hey, I'm gullible as all get out and they'll probably walk all over me. Pick somebody else."


The problem is that is considered a desirable trait for a juror. You'll find yourself short listed very quickly. They want someone that doesnt think deeply and makes irrational and emotional decisions.
_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull


Joined: Sep 19, 2009
Posts: 221

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be horrible at being a juror. First off, i believe i have social anxiety (which i really need to get treated and really, dx'd), so i wouldn't be any help...being all quiet, not giving my opinion. Second, i am liable to just copy someone else's response or just agree with them. It takes a lot of thought to come up with my own opinions or putting facts together when you bunch that with social anxiety. I wouldn't be able to give a fair answer. I am sure the phrase "idk" would come up a lot.

That being said, i was called for jury duty and i did go. I was so nervous, i was sweating and kinda shaking. There were like 100 people there. I about made a fool of myself and made the whole place laugh...they were taking attendance and as soon as they were about to call my name, i said "here." I knew my name was next because of the long pause. Then the person calling the names laughed (with everyone else) and said something stupid like having everyone say here before their names were called. I was very lucky that day. The entire group was dismissed because they didn't need us and we all got our papers saying we don't have to serve again for X amount of years and got our $16, i think it was.

So, i would say if you can't then don't and see if you can be excused. Some people really like doing this. Some people don't, but really have no choice. Others, would not be a good candidate for the job at all, being that they have a medical condition or the like.


Last edited by AMD on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Katie_WPG
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 08, 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 509
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishInvader wrote:
We can all lie to ourselves and pretend that AS is not a real medical condition and that we're just a marginalised element of society. We are marginalised, but we are also seriously disadvantaged through our disability. In order to get on in the world, we have to take the help available to us where we find it. Self-righteousness is a very expensive luxury for people with AS and certainly not a desirable quality for a juror.



And exactly what part of this "real medical condition" would render EVERYONE with it to be unfit jurors?

What about those who honestly don't need any help? What about those who can get on in the world by themselves?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EnglishInvader
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 15, 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 828
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Katie_WPG"]
EnglishInvader wrote:



And exactly what part of this "real medical condition" would render EVERYONE with it to be unfit jurors?

What about those who honestly don't need any help? What about those who can get on in the world by themselves?


I was mainly responding to Spokane_Girl's suggestion that some AS people use their problems as an excuse to shirk responsibility. My response is based on my own experience with AS and the British welfare system. I also pointed out that I had similar attitudes when I was her age and lost a lot of the support I needed as a result. My message is simple: "Life is hard for people with Asperger's Syndrome. Don't make it any harder than it needs to be."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
surchir
Raven
Raven


Joined: Apr 10, 2007
Posts: 102
Location: deep within the sonoran desert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been excused from juror duty, simply because I require a note taker. I am also told that require means I am not fit to serve, as I may have trouble with facts or details important to a case. I can also state that no matter what you presented to me you would not be able to convince "Me" of a persons guilt beyond a shadow of doubt (Therefore there is no trial I would give a guilty verdict for). I would also never render a verdict with out the ability of my self being able to cross-examine both the members of prosecuting and defense. Nor could I get over the fact, that the prosecutions is there to produce a guilty verdict, however, at the same time was the only one really able to produce evidence it would seem to me that is a conflict of interest in itself. I would thus see, it a probably cause that the prosecution could have simply constructed a case, to advance there own career (That is not an unreasonable assumption to me). That's also why I think the prosecution should be cross examined (Weight there attitude in a case) and evidence always being allowed to be reviewed by a third party, if those are not meet for the defense, how do I know the police, and prosecution just didn't construct a case especially if it was to cover something they were possible at fault for?

I am actually wondering how many of you replying would actually be able to be convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt of a crime actually taking place that would be an interesting poll. I know you can't convince me of anything based off another option. Unless I can conduct an experiment that proves what you say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Roxas_XIII
Fortune favors the bold
Phoenix


Joined: Jan 09, 2007
Age: 23
Posts: 3298
Location: Laramie, WY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I could be excused from civic duty by merit of my disability, I would not request it. Jury duty is one of the few ways I can give back to my country, seeing as I'm not fit for military or police work, and I'm not subtle enough to run for office. Of course, depending on the case I might not even get the chance to be a juror, seeing as I have an oddly even-handed view of justice that most jury selectors would not like. But should the call come, I will answer it.
_________________
"Yeah, so this one time, I tried playing poker with tarot cards... got a full house, and about four people died." ~ Unknown comedian

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
go_around
Blue Jay
Blue Jay


Joined: Jan 01, 2009
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you actually think you'd break down or be incapable of understanding what was going on in the trial, then it's a reasonable excuse. If you would just be uncomfortable, however, I would say consider this - if you were on trial for something, would you want the entire jury to be NTs?

I have been called but never served (wasn't picked), but my father did, and the stories he told about the willingness of his fellow jurors to judge on the basis of the defendant's behavior or on their personal biases or on a desire to just be done with it was terrifying. Another commenter described her ordeal on a jury but also mentioned how in the end she may have helped the defendant to receive a slightly more just sentence than he might have otherwise. People who see things a bit differently and make their judgments on a different basis (and in the case of people with AS, typically a more fact-based one) really have an important place in the justice system. They can help keep people from serving jail time for completely stupid reasons, and perhaps see through the charming people who never seem to be punished no matter how obvious it is that they have committed a crime. If you think you can physically and mental handle it, I'd say do it. If not, you can try to get out of it and see how your luck is (I was once told that the fact I was in college in another state and would not be present at the time of the summons was not good enough... although they never did anything to me as a result of that...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull


Joined: Sep 19, 2009
Posts: 221

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go_around wrote:
If you actually think you'd break down or be incapable of understanding what was going on in the trial, then it's a reasonable excuse. If you would just be uncomfortable, however, I would say consider this - if you were on trial for something, would you want the entire jury to be NTs?

I have been called but never served (wasn't picked), but my father did, and the stories he told about the willingness of his fellow jurors to judge on the basis of the defendant's behavior or on their personal biases or on a desire to just be done with it was terrifying. Another commenter described her ordeal on a jury but also mentioned how in the end she may have helped the defendant to receive a slightly more just sentence than he might have otherwise. People who see things a bit differently and make their judgments on a different basis (and in the case of people with AS, typically a more fact-based one) really have an important place in the justice system. They can help keep people from serving jail time for completely stupid reasons, and perhaps see through the charming people who never seem to be punished no matter how obvious it is that they have committed a crime. If you think you can physically and mental handle it, I'd say do it. If not, you can try to get out of it and see how your luck is (I was once told that the fact I was in college in another state and would not be present at the time of the summons was not good enough... although they never did anything to me as a result of that...)


Good point! Of course, for some of us, that social anxiety may keep us from actually contributing, but not all of us have that. I would love to be part of something like that, but the social crap totally gets in the way for me to be able to function in that situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
durentu
Hummingbird
Hummingbird


Joined: Sep 08, 2009
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jury selection depends on what kind of jury they are looking for. They might be looking for someone with or without the mixed bag of AS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MommyJones
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Dec 04, 2008
Posts: 684
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told them that I was pregnant and I had really bad morning sickness (which was true) and I had to be able to leave to throw up. That worked.

Also, Be extreme with your views. that helps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus


Joined: Jan 05, 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 363
Location: Cork, Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I would be very unsuitable for Jury duty. Not only would it leave me an emotional wreck for months if not longer, I would also be probably unable to make a decision of that nature.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Callista
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Feb 04, 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 11034
Location: Central USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy wrote:
Callista wrote:
However, if you don't think you'd make a good juror, you have every right to tell them, "Hey, I'm gullible as all get out and they'll probably walk all over me. Pick somebody else."


The problem is that is considered a desirable trait for a juror. You'll find yourself short listed very quickly. They want someone that doesnt think deeply and makes irrational and emotional decisions.
Oh. Well, then don't say it that way. Bring a note from your doctor that says "I have a pervasive developmental disorder and a severe delay in social cognition." If you think the courtroom's going to walk all over you and you'll be so lost most of the time you won't do anywhere near a decent job, there's no call to put yourself deliberately into a jury box. Bring out the jargon if you have to.
_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> General Autism Discussion   
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art