WrongPlanet.net
WP Members: > 80,000



Aspie Affection

New Today: 25
New Yesterday: 22

John Brown: Hero, or Villain? Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion     

John Brown was a:
Hero!
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Villain!
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
I don't know, just show the results.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

ArrantPariah
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2012
Posts: 8800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
We would have won if we used slaves in the army and let them figtht for their freedom.


That seemeth contradictory to the goals of the rebellion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joker
Sinn Fein
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 7593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
John Brown's actions started a war that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed 1.5 million Americans in a country with a population of about 30 million. The fear of servile revolt made the Southerners insane.

ruveyn


Not North Carolina we didn't have that many slaves.


In 1860, only one-third of North Carolinians were slaves.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/slave-maps/slave-census.htm

In Mississippi and South Carolina, the majority of the people were slaves.


As a southerner I already knew that.


What is the official Southern explanation for the relative decline (i.e., as a percentage of the total population) of the African American population since then in those states?


Decline in what population? Their are a lot of Afraican Americans that call the South their home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArrantPariah
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2012
Posts: 8800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how does John Brown compare to Che Guevara, on the Hero/Villain spectrum?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrantPariah
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2012
Posts: 8800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
John Brown's actions started a war that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed 1.5 million Americans in a country with a population of about 30 million. The fear of servile revolt made the Southerners insane.

ruveyn


Not North Carolina we didn't have that many slaves.


In 1860, only one-third of North Carolinians were slaves.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/slave-maps/slave-census.htm

In Mississippi and South Carolina, the majority of the people were slaves.


As a southerner I already knew that.


What is the official Southern explanation for the relative decline (i.e., as a percentage of the total population) of the African American population since then in those states?


Decline in what population? Their are a lot of Afraican Americans that call the South their home.


Percentage-wise. There are no longer any states that house a Black-majority population.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturalplastic
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Aug 27, 2010
Posts: 7492
Location: mid atlantic coast usa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
John Brown's actions started a war that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed 1.5 million Americans in a country with a population of about 30 million. The fear of servile revolt made the Southerners insane.

ruveyn


Not North Carolina we didn't have that many slaves.


Neither here no their. The claim of the right to own humans as slaves was the basis of the secession. The Southerners were afraid of servile revolt and beefed up their militias. That is what made them so hard to beat once the Civil War erupted.

John Brown was carrying a lit match in a room full of gun powder.

ruveyn


We would have won if we used slaves in the army and let them figtht for their freedom.


So the south should have recruited blacks into the rebel army by rewarding each black recruit with freedom. In that way they couldve beefed up their army to defend seccession. The whole purpose of seccession being to keep blacks in slavery. So the south shouldve freed the blacks from slavery in order to keep the blacks in slavery. Have I got the ghist of it?

That strikes me as illogical to put it mildly.


Last edited by naturalplastic on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joker
Sinn Fein
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 7593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturalplastic wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
John Brown's actions started a war that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed 1.5 million Americans in a country with a population of about 30 million. The fear of servile revolt made the Southerners insane.

ruveyn


Not North Carolina we didn't have that many slaves.


Neither here no their. The claim of the right to own humans as slaves was the basis of the secession. The Southerners were afraid of servile revolt and beefed up their militias. That is what made them so hard to beat once the Civil War erupted.

John Brown was carrying a lit match in a room full of gun powder.

ruveyn


We would have won if we used slaves in the army and let them figtht for their freedom.


So the south should have recruited blacks into the rebel army by rewarding each black recruit with freedom. In that way they couldve beefed up their army to defend seccession. The whole purpose of seccession being to keep blacks in slavery. So the south shouldve freed the blacks from slavery in order to keep the blacks in slavery. Have I got the ghist of it?

That strikes me as illogical to put it mildly.


Paul Mooney was the one that said we should have used the slaves and the war was fought over other issues besides slavery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joker
Sinn Fein
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 7593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
John Brown's actions started a war that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed 1.5 million Americans in a country with a population of about 30 million. The fear of servile revolt made the Southerners insane.

ruveyn


Not North Carolina we didn't have that many slaves.


In 1860, only one-third of North Carolinians were slaves.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/slave-maps/slave-census.htm

In Mississippi and South Carolina, the majority of the people were slaves.


As a southerner I already knew that.


What is the official Southern explanation for the relative decline (i.e., as a percentage of the total population) of the African American population since then in those states?


Decline in what population? Their are a lot of Afraican Americans that call the South their home.


Percentage-wise. There are no longer any states that house a Black-majority population.


Their are more blacks in New Orleans then whites.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
naturalplastic
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Aug 27, 2010
Posts: 7492
Location: mid atlantic coast usa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
John Brown's actions started a war that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed 1.5 million Americans in a country with a population of about 30 million. The fear of servile revolt made the Southerners insane.

ruveyn


Not North Carolina we didn't have that many slaves.


In 1860, only one-third of North Carolinians were slaves.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/slave-maps/slave-census.htm

In Mississippi and South Carolina, the majority of the people were slaves.


As a southerner I already knew that.


What is the official Southern explanation for the relative decline (i.e., as a percentage of the total population) of the African American population since then in those states?


Decline in what population? Their are a lot of Afraican Americans that call the South their home.


Percentage-wise. There are no longer any states that house a Black-majority population.


Their are more blacks in New Orleans then whites.


what is the thought process of someone who considers the fact that "only" one in three people in their homestate were slaves to be something to boast about? Is your brain fully engaged when you put your mouth into gear?

On top of that if you take a look at that 1860 census you will see that most of the states that had alaves had fewer slaves in absolute number than did north carolina. So by absolute number they were one of the worst states.
About relative numbers:if you do the math and try to figure the comparison by numbers of slaves relative to the whole states population then some states had more, some had less, and two (virginia and texas) had roughly the same. So by proportion NCA doesnt stand out one way nor the other, and by absolute number its pretty bad. So if I were you I would stop repeating that "north carolina" had fewer slaves" mantra.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joker
Sinn Fein
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 7593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturalplastic wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
John Brown's actions started a war that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed 1.5 million Americans in a country with a population of about 30 million. The fear of servile revolt made the Southerners insane.

ruveyn


Not North Carolina we didn't have that many slaves.


In 1860, only one-third of North Carolinians were slaves.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/slave-maps/slave-census.htm

In Mississippi and South Carolina, the majority of the people were slaves.


As a southerner I already knew that.


What is the official Southern explanation for the relative decline (i.e., as a percentage of the total population) of the African American population since then in those states?


Decline in what population? Their are a lot of Afraican Americans that call the South their home.


Percentage-wise. There are no longer any states that house a Black-majority population.


Their are more blacks in New Orleans then whites.


what is the thought process of someone who considers the fact that "only" one in three people in their homestate were slaves to be something to boast about? Is your brain fully engaged when you put your mouth into gear?

On top of that if you take a look at that 1860 census you will see that most of the states that had alaves had fewer slaves in absolute number than did north carolina. So by absolute number they were one of the worst states.
About relative numbers:if you do the math and try to figure the comparison by numbers of slaves relative to the whole states population then some states had more, some had less, and two (virginia and texas) had roughly the same. So by proportion NCA doesnt stand out one way nor the other, and by absolute number its pretty bad. So if I were you I would stop repeating that "north carolina" had fewer slaves" mantra.


Yawn your boring me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joker
Sinn Fein
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 7593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus your talking about past things I live in the present
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John_Browning
ON A LIST SOMEWHERE
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 23, 2009
Posts: 4456
Location: The shooting range

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
Paul Mooney was the one that said we should have used the slaves and the war was fought over other issues besides slavery.

He's right on both counts. There were a few Confederate units that were formed for combat rather than just labor, but neither side used them extensively.
_________________
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
- Unknown

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrantPariah
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 31, 2012
Posts: 8800

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_Browning wrote:
Joker wrote:
Paul Mooney was the one that said we should have used the slaves and the war was fought over other issues besides slavery.

He's right on both counts. There were a few Confederate units that were formed for combat rather than just labor, but neither side used them extensively.


Ten percent of the Union army was Black.

http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/blacks-civil-war/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruveyn
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Age: 77
Posts: 31498
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrantPariah wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Joker wrote:
Paul Mooney was the one that said we should have used the slaves and the war was fought over other issues besides slavery.

He's right on both counts. There were a few Confederate units that were formed for combat rather than just labor, but neither side used them extensively.


Ten percent of the Union army was Black.

http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/blacks-civil-war/


The Massachussetts 54 th a black regiment distinguished itself in its attack on Battery Wagner.

Many of the black soldiers in the Union Army were escaped slaves. Payback time.

The Union black soldiers were the Confederates worst nightmare. Black men with loaded rifles.

ruveyn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joker
Sinn Fein
Phoenix


Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 7593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrantPariah wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Joker wrote:
Paul Mooney was the one that said we should have used the slaves and the war was fought over other issues besides slavery.

He's right on both counts. There were a few Confederate units that were formed for combat rather than just labor, but neither side used them extensively.


Ten percent of the Union army was Black.

http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/blacks-civil-war/


Tell me something I didn't already know Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
naturalplastic
Phoenix
Phoenix


Joined: Aug 27, 2010
Posts: 7492
Location: mid atlantic coast usa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
Plus your talking about past things I live in the present


Youre the one who brought up the past.

Not me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index -> Politics, Philosophy, and Religion   
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

 
Read more Articles on Wrong Planet



Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark.
Copyright 2004-2014, Wrong Planet, LLC and Alex Plank. Alex does public speaking for Autism.

Advertise on Wrong Planet

Alex Hotchalk / Glam 

Alex Plank  Aspie Affection 

Terms of Service - You must read this as a user of Wrong Planet | Privacy Policy

Subscribe: RSS Feed  Wrong Planet News  Wrong Planet Forums




fine art