Lubitz: clear signs of NPD, not depression

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:12 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ger ... 41319.html

The linked article makes the very important point that the homicidal, mass killer pilot Andreas Lubitz had clear signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Nevertheless, mass ignorance and stigmatizing have added to the suffering of people experiencing depression (likely to be much more depressed now).

This man did not committ mass murder because he "had depression" as the ignorant media immediately claimed.

He had the grandiosity of self, indifference to others, desire to be famous, manipulative lying and other character defects that are typical and classical hallmarks of NPD - Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

I am fed up with the crap, that further sitgmatises depressed people. It is very analogous to the way that the same ignorant media stigmatises all people on the spectrum when a mass murderer happens to be on the spectrum - or not on the spectrum but immediately post-humously diagnosed by the ignorant media as being on the spectrum.

I am disgusted.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm

B19 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/germanwings-crash-i-have-depression-that-does-not-make-me-a-psychopath-10141319.html

The linked article makes the very important point that the homicidal, mass killer pilot Andreas Lubitz had clear signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Nevertheless, mass ignorance and stigmatizing have added to the suffering of people experiencing depression (likely to be much more depressed now).

This man did not committ mass murder because he "had depression" as the ignorant media immediately claimed.

He had the grandiosity of self, indifference to others, desire to be famous, manipulative lying and other character defects that are typical and classical hallmarks of NPD - Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

I am fed up with the crap, that further sitgmatises depressed people. It is very analogous to the way that the same ignorant media stigmatises all people on the spectrum when a mass murderer happens to be on the spectrum - or not on the spectrum but immediately post-humously diagnosed by the ignorant media as being on the spectrum.

I am disgusted.

I agree with all of this.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

You're kinda stigmatising his mental health problems as well though to be honest...

But yeah I hate that any time there is a tragedy the media says the cause is mental illness. :( we need to stop this. It has never been helpful to anyone and it's almost never the full story.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 6:08 pm

starfox wrote:
You're kinda stigmatising his mental health problems as well though to be honest...

But yeah I hate that any time there is a tragedy the media says the cause is mental illness. :( we need to stop this. It has never been helpful to anyone and it's almost never the full story.

I can see your point, though if there is one group of people that should be stigmatised, it's the sociopaths with malignant narcissistic personality disorder. Their raison d'etre is to cause malicious harm to others, and they always do. For the same reason, society stigmatises psychopaths.

Personality disorders are not mental illnesses, strictly speaking. They are fixed and toxic patterns of behaviour.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 6:29 pm

starfox wrote:

Actually, considering that people have been kicked out of college, forcibly withdrawn from classes, and even reported to authorities just for reporting depression to their school counselors in the U.S.... I don't think anything that B19 said could be considered stigmatizing. And if so, not anywhere near the same magnitude.

Yes, in the U.S. discrimination over mental health is at an all time high. Several well respected universities have been busted on throwing depressed students to the curve (without refunds.)
Narcissists don't get that kind of treatment, they are part of the dark triad and therefore are good with using society to their advantage while being among the most dangerous neurotypes. They could use some stigmatizing.

But you're right about the media...

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:02 pm

There's a deeper issue here, from my perspective.

Not all narcissists are toxic to the same degree, though all are toxic in some degree; they are all to some degree sociopathic and/or psychopathic, though some disguise this extremely well. There is no impairment of intelligence in NPD; many score very well on intelligence measures. The malignant NPD's are the most dangerous, and Lubitz could be a poster boy for them.

There is a lot of commentary from people who discuss NPD - both lay and professional people - that there are particular careers that attract the NPD sociopaths, especially those that offer the potential for power over others and limelight for themselves, and ones which are likely to cater to their characteristic greed; hence popular career choices for narcissists are thought to be: politics, psychiatry, law, celebrity, gurus, religious televangelism, and any other 'name in lights' career, eg television 'celebrity'.

That is NOT to say (please don't make this leap of generalisation) that EVERYONE in these careers is a case of NPD. They are not. Yet NPDs are far more common than the general public realise. And often they are charismatic and very good actors, skilled at portraying themselves as the good guys. Hypocrisy is another of their characteristic hallmarks.

Scary, isn't it. Yet it might explain why they are so good at flying under the radar: so many of them are controlling the radar....

If you are unfamiliar with what cluster B NPD is, do some reading; if you haven't already met one, you probably will at some stage, and they are destroyers of other people's lives, especially those closest to them - spouses and children. Being able to recognise them with an early warning alert is a very self-protective skill to have - and particularly perhaps for people on the spectrum.

Last edited by B19 on 29 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

B19 wrote:
starfox wrote:

I can see your point, though if there is one group of people that should be stigmatised, it's the sociopaths with malignant narcissistic personality disorder. Their raison d'etre is to cause malicious harm to others, and they always do. For the same reason, society stigmatises psychopaths.

Personality disorders are not mental illnesses, strictly speaking. They are fixed and toxic patterns of behaviour.

Umm... toxic? That's a bit harsh. I know schizoids don't see themselves as toxic, nor do many psychologists.

And aren't sociopaths/psychopaths more AntisocialPD than NPD? They are different sides of the dark triad. All dangerous, but very different in cognitive processes.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:06 pm

I stand by toxic, I've seen the enormous damage NPDs do. I am not talking about schizoids or any personality disorder than NPD here.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:09 pm

B19 wrote:
I stand by toxic, I've seen the enormous damage NPDs do. I am not talking about schizoids or any personality disorder than NPD here.

Ok, it was broad statement, I thought you were referring to all personality disorders, not just NPD. Thanks for clarifying.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

No problem.

This site, by Anna Valerius, has a lot of useful comment on what NPD is and how it affects victims:

http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.co.nz/ ... Narcissist

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 8:02 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
B19 wrote:
starfox wrote:

Umm... toxic? That's a bit harsh. I know schizoids don't see themselves as toxic, nor do many psychologists.

And aren't sociopaths/psychopaths more AntisocialPD than NPD? They are different sides of the dark triad. All dangerous, but very different in cognitive processes.

Many sociopaths are also among the worst narcissists.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 8:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
B19 wrote:
starfox wrote:

Many sociopaths are also among the worst narcissists.

It's all about nuance. Narcissists are a lot easier to spot.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:21 pm

I remember a line from Stephen King's novel, Misery, that goes something like: "Depressives kill themselves; psychotics take others with them."

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm

Broadly speaking, that fictional line embodies some fact. I wouldn't stretch it too far though. Psychosis and NPD are completely unrelated. Psychosis is a transient state during which perception is altered in ways that are significantly different from normocentric definitions of reality. NPD is not transient and not a cut off from normocentric reality (as arch manipulators, they have to have a fairly good idea of reality). They do tend to drive others to suicide though.

Alienhybrid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2015, 4:20 am

The big question is what creates these monsters?
Their numbers are legion, probably in the 5-10% of population range, or more, the worst seen in recent times possibly like Libutz, Dahmer, Lanza, possibly the Malaysian pilot....

I have encountered many
aspies and the naive
are their prey animal
beware my aspie brothers and sisters :skull:

Born under a bad sign?
google: natal afflictions
http://www.jupitersweb.com/astrology-of ... ealth.html

the woo woo guy is back :?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 6:07 am

Yes, we do need to beware, be aware and be wary. The general view is that this kind of personality disorder is shaped in the first 3 years of life by patterns learned from one or both parental figures. I think there is a lot of truth in that, and have observed two NPD family patterns close up, for many years; narcissists do indeed use and damage others rather than themselves. They are often surprisingly successful in life - and can present themselves cunningly as "the sane one" and their victims as "the mad ones" and they can be very convincing. I really feel for naive women married to NPD men - their lives are a hidden horror story - Oscar Pistorius is another recent example of a grandiose and deadly NPD type. This extremity of NPD is called "malignant narcissism". We are not talking about everyday egocentricity here, which many people have and which is a character fault but not a personality disorder.