Botany 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Food Science 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Other (specify) 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 81

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

Used to be astronomy. Now it's good old medicine. I seem to have an adptitude for memorizing names of diseases, parts of anatomy and diagnosis after hearing them once, and the last times I went to see a physician, I went to my college's library to research, diagnosed myself, found out a suting therapy, went to see the doctor, and he always agreed on both. Retrospectively, I should have gone to med school.

Judith_27
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2011, 7:11 am

was hesitating between Physics, astronomy, psychology and biology...

I wished I could choose more than 1.

Chose physics in the end. It just explains a lot of things... but then so does math.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 9:10 am

I studied astrophysics as an undergrad. Still love astronomy to this day.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 9:41 am

AsteroidNap wrote:
I studied astrophysics as an undergrad. Still love astronomy to this day.

Astronomy is the oldest, and in some senses, the purest of the sciences. It deals with the cosmos as it is, not as we would like it to be. On the other hand, the cousin science, cosmology, may have some epistemological problems.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 23 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judith_27
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

Ah Ruveyn

You have me there - Yes I'll choose Astronomy as #1 actually - because it teaches us about Math, Physics and everything else in between: Life.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

My favorite is geology. In college I took that, "Applied Botany", and psych. as a natural science.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:25 pm

starryeyedvoyager wrote:
Retrospectively, I should have gone to med school.

What do you do now? You're only 25--not too late to go to med school!

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm

Physics, because it encompasses all physical sciences on the most fundamental level.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

wcoltd wrote:
Physics, because it encompasses all physical sciences on the most fundamental level.

In theory. In fact biology has not been entirely reduced to physics although -in principle- that should be the case.

ruveyn

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

Physics and Biology have always been my favorites in school and I still like them.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

I choose botony (did I spell it right?). Does anyone know a good collected that offers it as a major?

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

My vote would go to linguistics, if it was an option. Also the poll could do with options for anthropology, archaeology and sociology.

The reason I like linguistics is that I find social sciences a lot more interesting than natural sciences, and linguistics is probably the most quantitative social science.

Caribou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

I picked chemistry, but I'm not really sure out of all of them which one is really my favorite. Some classes I haven't taken, so I can't say.. but I'd be interested in:

Chemistry, Botany, Psychology, I took Zoology which was interesting as well. I have never taken Botany or Psychology.

My least favorite: Physics.. I had to drop the class and will have to retake it later. Math is my favorite subject.. but I can't stand Physics.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 8:03 am

Caribou wrote:
I picked chemistry, but I'm not really sure out of all of them which one is really my favorite. Some classes I haven't taken, so I can't say.. but I'd be interested in:

Chemistry, Botany, Psychology, I took Zoology which was interesting as well. I have never taken Botany or Psychology.

My least favorite: Physics.. I had to drop the class and will have to retake it later. Math is my favorite subject.. but I can't stand Physics.

I suspect physics is not being taught to you very well. The origin of most of the "higher" mathematics we use is physics and you say you like math.

ruveyn

theemor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2011, 8:27 am

Maths but I don't think that's an option and general Biology.

ATM I'm studying Maths(10 hours a week), Biology and Chemistry(both of which are 5 hours a week hence totalling 10 hours a week), but I'm not very keen on Chemistry simply because at the level I'm studying it at a comprehensive understanding isn't required to achieve maximum marks, hence lecturers don't feel the need to elaborate, hence I get very frustrated when contradictions start to pop up or flat out lies.

Which for the same reason is why I dropped Physics very early on. Next year I'll most likely drop Chemistry unless there's University offers that want me to continue it(most likely not since I plan on doing a Maths or Computer Science degree, neither of which have any real relevance to Chemistry).

edit: I had a very strong interest in specific aspects of zoology(primarily parasitology) when I was 14 and had many books that went into both undergrad and postgrad depth on the subject, but has hesitance to mention/vote for it since for one I see it as a branch off biology and two I have no formal education in it and probably never will due to the lack of job prospects, my preference for maths and the(imo misinformed) perception of being a soft science, softer than biology.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 8:46 am

Redacted