Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 7:10 pm

The Google Chrome browser has suddenly stopped working on my laptop, and nothing I've tried (including uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest version) has been able to rectify the situation. At first it simply couldn't bring up websites, but after reinstallation the browser doesn't even show up on the screen at all.

It's not a disaster, as I've installed Firefox and Opera, which are working fine on this device, but as I'm normally signed into Google, I wonder whether this will cause problems in future (no sign of any issues so far with Youtube, which I'm currently signed into and which is part of Google).

I'm wondering whether my laptop is just too ancient, and that the latest version of Chrome is simply incompatible with it. On the face of it the laptop (a Samsung R780) is well specced, with an i7 processor, a solid state hard drive and an up-to-date installation of Windows 10, but it also seems that the laptop actually dates from 2010 and the start of the Windows 7 era.

Anyone had a similar problem or have any observations to offer?

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 8:11 pm

DeepHour wrote:
,but after reinstallation the browser doesn't even show up on the screen at all.

not show up?Does this mean you can't find the location of Google Chrome?

C:\Program Files\Google

Your laptop with Windows 10 isn't too old to use Google Chrome.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 8:15 pm

I apologize before hand if you have already tried this; have you tried turning the computer completely off?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 8:16 pm

Google Chrome is visible in C:\Program Files, but when I click on its icon in the taskbar or the desktop, nothing at all happens.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 8:23 pm

Right Click-Run as Administrator?

I can't give a better opinion without more information.sorry

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 8:50 pm

Does it show up on the Taskbar?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 9:07 pm

^ It did, but I've banished it from there, as clicking it produced no response whatsoever.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 9:12 pm

belijojo wrote:
Right Click-Run as Administrator?

I can't give a better opinion without more information.sorry

I've tried the 'Run as Administrator' thing from the icon in the start menu and on the desktop, but no result.

I should also add that I tried 'rolling back' the operating system to the previous restore point as well, which didn't work either. The system has subsequently updated again, and still no usable Chrome.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 5:09 am

DeepHour wrote:
^ It did, but I've banished it from there, as clicking it produced no response whatsoever.

What I meant was, if you try to launch it, does the Taskbar indicate that it was launched? Not sure how else to explain it.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 9:00 am

I'm presuming you're referring to the rectangular area around the icon in the task bar, which is highlighted when Chrome is launched (as well as the appearance of a thin illuminated strip at its base)? If so, then no, these indicators do not appear. I've also looked in the 'Processes' section of Task Manager, and it registers no activity from Google Chrome.

I think I might have to give up on this one - thanks all for the interest and suggestions.