Can you hack?
yes 44%  44%  [ 42 ]
no 56%  56%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 96

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

I don't hack, I just reap the benefits of the hackers :)

ZorgsMan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Sep 2012, 2:26 pm

guitarman2010 wrote:
I don't hack, I just reap the benefits of the hackers :)

As in you you use open source software or as in you extort 0day?

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

ZorgsMan wrote:
Years ago I read this white paper that claimed there was a direct link between aspergers and (blackhat) hacking. Can't seem to find it.

Somewhat related:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqvfsc374og[/youtube]

wavedevice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2012, 5:23 pm

Yes, I hack.
I am diving deep in the world of buffer overflows and exploits.
The real meaning of hacker does not matter to me.
Who cares? It is like the word "human".
A word with duality.

And this is how I think about it.

Who need meds? The Book of Tao is the ultimate pill.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

I "hack" in the sense that I write code and know my way around a computer. I hack stuff together with perl. I don't break into other peoples computers and change their password around unless they're paying me to do it.

Visha9000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm

Im an ethical hacker. I find the sucurity flaws in my schools system and tell them how to fix it.

s4a
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2012, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Can you hack?

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, how many people on WP are computer hackers?

The vote doesn't really reflect the question. Knowing how to hack doesn't mean, that you are a hacker. In the old millennium you could write a piece of software for the automotive industry, power generation markets, ..., and as long as it was not related to the internet, no one would ever care. If you work in these critical areas today, you should know what a hacker is doing, what the tools and procedures are, which will (probably) face your software one day.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

I'm mainly into cracking these days, I used to hack more but over the years I have been weaning myself off. Though I do support hacktivism, such as Anonymous, and white hat hacking.

dfy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm

For amusement I use BackTrack 5 to crack wep passwords. I collect the passwords. I do not use them to access the computers, that would be a felony. I will study next cracking wpa and wpa2 passwords. This is a skill that is useful for penetration testing.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2012, 11:59 pm

Depends on what you mean by "hacker". My definition of the term has little to do with computer security in particular, and I don't buy the "white/grey/black hat" distinctions. It doesn't matter what your intentions are if you're breaking into a computer without permission and infringing upon another person's property rights; if you get caught, you deserve full punishment under the law. Telling yourself that you're "ethical" and that you're doing them a service without having been asked/paid by them is just a slippery slope used to justify antisocial behavior and treating people and their private property as lab rats.

Hacking to me is primarily programming, and finding creative solutions to problems in general. In that I identify more with the original generation of hackers before the Internet was developed and computer security was even a thing. Reference ESR's How To Become A Hacker.