Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2009, 2:01 am

I have had to add alot of apps to it know because it keeps making them crash say that the DEP closed from windows,what do I need to do to stop this annoying issue.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 4:55 am

MagnusArmstrong wrote:
I have had to add alot of apps to it know because it keeps making them crash say that the DEP closed from windows,what do I need to do to stop this annoying issue.

Data execution prevention means that some application is attempting to use data as a program. This is not kosher. It is a vector for malware to infect your computer. DEP prevents this.

What a virus will do is write a text file or something, but it will contain characters that match exe code. then it executes this as a program.

You have a problem.

Read this link for more information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352 and this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

kip
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 10:59 am

You need a new comp, mate. You've got like 8 of the ten most recent threads on here... :P *

Like Fuzzy said, it's data being run as a programme, which means it's 'crossing' a windows-set boundary. The only trouble is, some programmes could actually do this on their own, if they weren't coded properly.

*I exaggerate, really.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 3:30 pm

I'm against it too, but you've been warned so do it at your own risk.

To enable DEP only when a program explicitly asked, run:
bcdedit /set nx OptIn

To disable DEP entirely, run:
bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 3:32 pm

kip wrote:
You need a new comp, mate.

What he really need is some new programs. :wink:

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2009, 5:25 pm

The thing is is they arent downloaded programs they are games that I bought like unreal gold. I used trend micro to perform a virus scan and nothing turned up besides some cookies which I deleted.I need to take some classes so I can understand computer and then do some self education,then build my self a beast with good parts because thats the way to go I heard because of the declining quality from the manufactuers.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2009, 5:27 pm

Sorry for double posting but would turning of the UAC fix the issue and is that dangerous in any way,becase I dont have the dough to fix or replace anything like ever.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 7:12 pm

UAC and DEP are different thing.

DEP marks each page with an executable flag. If a program jumps to a page that is not marked, the CPU will complain and the OS can then terminate the program. For example, if a web site send your browser a virus and there is an exploit to fool your browser to execute it. If DEP is enabled and your browser is correctly written, the virus should be in a data page and DEP should be able to stop it. That is how DEP reduces the risk of a lot of exploits.

UAC on the other hand is Microsoft's attempt to ease privilege control. Only instead of using the tried sudo approach, they just have to do things differently. In action, it's similar to how most HIPS are doing before Vista. When a program do something that is dangerous, ie something only an administrator should do, UAC pause that program and let the user decides whether to allow that action. There is also some internal logic used after an action has been allowed to determine if subsequent UAC prompt should be raised again.

So disabling DEP will definitely reduce your defense. UAC though depends on whether you're logged in as an administrator or a normal/restricted user.