Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2009, 1:23 am

When I set my laptops display to its native resolution it looks sharper. The bad thing is that it makes everything super small. If I adjust my Firefox setting for a larger font it sometimes throws off the way the web page is suppose to be displayed. I assume they didn't design the web page with a 1920x1200 resolution in mind.

How do I take advantage of the sharper native resolution when the font is SO small?

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2009, 1:34 am

What OS are you using?

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2009, 4:54 am

Windows 7.

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2009, 1:08 pm

Right-click on your desktop and choose 'Screen resolution' (you've probably already got that far) then click 'Make text and other items larger or smaller'. Investigate that and/or the custom text size DPI setting.

For Firefox's default fonts, go to Tools->Options->Content.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 4:35 pm

Changing the dpi for your screen is the proper answer. But it makes some programs look weird if set too high. If you only need to make web pages larger, use page zoom in your browser. You can test it by pressing [Ctrl][+] or [Ctrl][Mousewheel Up].

To set it as default:
Opera:
Tools > Preferences... > Web Pages > Page zoom = x

Firefox:
about:config
toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues = x

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 8:52 am

I think this is an inherent flaw in LCD/flat screen displays.

CRTs can have various resolutions and be quite sharp. An LCD is at its sharpest when the resolution matches the pixel dimensions of the screen.

Down side is that enlarging things makes them blocky. I don't know how Win7 handles this, but all icons need to have different sizes so that a person with a large resolution display can opt for bigger icons without getting the fuzzy appearance from blowing up an image too much.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 9:24 am

DavidK wrote:
Right-click on your desktop and choose 'Screen resolution' (you've probably already got that far) then click 'Make text and other items larger or smaller'. Investigate that and/or the custom text size DPI setting.

That is what I have done *after* setting the display to its native resolution. Native resolution will give the clearest display possible, then 125% works fine for me. However, some system messages are still small and/or a bit fuzzy after that.

Another thought is to leave the text at "normal" (100%) and to set the display to a size where the height and width are each the same percentage (like maybe 80%) of the display's native mode to make things more readably without being distorted, but that kind of prortional balance at the desired level of resolution is not always possible.

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2009, 10:32 pm

CloudWalker wrote:
Changing the dpi for your screen is the proper answer. But it makes some programs look weird if set too high. If you only need to make web pages larger, use page zoom in your browser. You can test it by pressing [Ctrl][+] or [Ctrl][Mousewheel Up].

To set it as default:
Opera:
Tools > Preferences... > Web Pages > Page zoom = x

Firefox:
about:config
toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues = x

Thanks!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:24 am

Jaydog1212 wrote:
When I set my laptops display to its native resolution it looks sharper. The bad thing is that it makes everything super small. If I adjust my Firefox setting for a larger font it sometimes throws off the way the web page is suppose to be displayed. I assume they didn't design the web page with a 1920x1200 resolution in mind.

How do I take advantage of the sharper native resolution when the font is SO small?

I have no idea about Windows 7, but what I do is rightclick on the desktop, click 'Properties' on the floating pallete that comes up then 'Display Properties' tabbed pallette pops up, I click on the 'Appearance' tab, then click on the 'Advanced' button.

When the 'Advanced Appearance' properties pallette comes up, I go through the 'Items' scroll list and set the fonts and font sizing on all applicable items such as title bars, menus, icons, and anything else that utilises text dialog to a size that I prefer, and save all the changes.

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2009, 12:08 pm

Fogman wrote:
When the 'Advanced Appearance' properties pallette comes up, I go through the 'Items' scroll list and set the fonts and font sizing on all applicable items such as title bars, menus, icons, and anything else that utilises text dialog to a size that I prefer, and save all the changes.

You can also do a lot of that from the Accessibility Wizard.