Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2006, 1:00 pm

When surfing the internet, I use either Opera or Firefox. While I would like to use Quicktime to be able to video files encoded using that format, I have a major reservation about Quicktime.

If I have Quicktime installed and go to a band's website and they have MP3 files available for downloading, the Quicktime browser plugin associates itself with MP3 files, and while I am able to play files in the browser window, I am unable to actually download the files to my hard drive unless I pay Apple to upgrade to the premium version of Quicktime,which I refuse to do. --Why should I be forced to give cash to Apple in order to be continue to do something that I was able to do with no problem until I downloaded their software?

If I use IE (Which I refuse to do considering the security holes in said browser) I would be able to turn off the Quicktime plugin, however I have found no way to turn off the Quicktime plugin in either Opera or Firefox, hence my decision to delete Quicktime altogeather.

Is there anybody here that knows a workaround for this issue, or should I continue to not use Quicktime? --I'm having this problem with XP Pro.

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Feb 2006, 1:04 pm

Right click on the link and select "Save linked file as"

Hope this helps.

-Alex

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2006, 12:33 am

In fire fox this will work
tools>options>downloads>view and edit actions>change action>pick save to computer for mp3 files or use a diffrent program to open mp3.
that sould fix it. the other way make windows open mp3 with winamp or that type program 8)

SirCamehan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2006, 8:30 pm

Also, you could try using QuickTime Alternative. It is a package with all the required QuickTime codecs, and it has all the crap that comes with the unaltered QuickTime cut-out, like the actual QuickTime Player. It can also solve your registration problems...

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2006, 5:26 am

There's a Firefox extension called "MediaPlayerConnectivity" that not only allows you to control which application is launched to play media, but will also create links on the page for embedded media so that you can either disable or download media that you normally can't control.

afortiori
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2006, 7:40 am

I hate Quickt :roll: It integrates itself into Internet Explorer so when you click on videos to play on websites it won't open them up in a separate window. :x