Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2010, 11:05 am

I was always good at technology when I was younger but I never really did anything except sit in my room alone and never excercised my brain. What is a good book or something to learn about programming or something like that?
Maybe classes or something like that I could do.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 11:26 am

You'll need to be MUCH more specific. There are so many different styles of programming, so many different languages. What do you want to do?

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2010, 11:46 am

I don't know much about it. but I would like to learn Java or C or something like that. When I did a little bit of it in school I excelled pretty far compared to the rest of my peers.

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2010, 1:36 pm

I knew a guy who's first programming project was a fully GUI text editor, made entirely with assembly language... Anyways...

Get Stephen Kochan's Programming in C, then from there try learning C++ or Java, some web languages, and then a dialect of asm. At least, thats what I would do.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 6:56 am

Alright I am going to do that and I might grab a cheap computer from Goodwill to practice it and other programming stuff.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:23 am

Go to a website called www.exist-db.org

The product - open source, and being used for various things across the globe - is an XML database. Well, perhaps a repository rather than a database.

Download it, play with the examples. There's some interesting stuff in there. The most important thing, for me, is a way to put data onto web pages, and take it back again, with a single piece of source code - an XQuery. There's an XQuery sandbox in the package that lets you experiment easily.

Try it - I've been programming now for forty years, and this is the finest thing I've ever played with. Well, there was Hypercard, back in the early days of Macintosh, but it didn't fly. This stuff flies.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 9:32 am

This might seem weird but even though I am eighteen I am still not allowed to use the internet that my dad girlfriend has so I have to steal it. So this might seem needy but...is there a way to do it offline?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 9:35 am

Python. Its easy, and...

The aforementioned text editor could be done in an hour.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 4:24 pm

How do you folks come to equate technology with computer software?

Most of technology is hardware and hardware systems.

ruveyn

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 1:30 am

ruveyn wrote:
How do you folks come to equate technology with computer software?

Most of technology is hardware and hardware systems.

ruveyn

We are aware of that, but read into the OPs statement. He specifically asked about programming, and thus, software.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 2:33 am

on a side not that is pretty terrible that you are not alowed on the internet. what is the reasoning behind that?

python is fun. not done much else except true basic in school.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2010, 7:05 am

I don't know she is just very selfish and she always did stuff like that. I steal it though when she isn't looking.

I alsoread a book on the basic of programming yesterday and I think I can learn it, doesn't sound hard.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 10:21 pm

Actually, Python gets used all over the place. The one place I know it from is a art program called Poser, which uses figures, props, etc., to create pictures with people in them. Python does things like set poses, make adjustments, etc.

I've heard of it being used in other places as well.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 1:27 pm

pakled wrote:
Actually, Python gets used all over the place. The one place I know it from is a art program called Poser, which uses figures, props, etc., to create pictures with people in them. Python does things like set poses, make adjustments, etc.

I've heard of it being used in other places as well.

Is Poser used for making animations in second life?

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:34 pm

I would highly recommend picking up a copy Abelson and Sussman's Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, reading it, and working through the exercises. It's in scheme, which sees little use outside of academia, but the book will give you a large enough foundation of knowledge to pick up any language within an hour.

Go and read some of the Amazon reviews for this book, it is pretty much THE intro to computer science book.