Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:17 pm

I was in the library borrowing some music and overheard the (adult) librarian asking for a CD cleaning kit because a library user had complained that the tracks on one of the CDs were very quiet...

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2010, 7:52 pm

uhhhh.....?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 8:39 pm

shugo974 wrote:
uhhhh.....?

i second that

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:39 pm

borrow the cd from the library, rip it onto the hard drive, use a .wav editor [there are many free ones at sharewaremusic.com] to bring up the volume of the one quiet track, then burn a new and improved cd. just a suggestion. don't violate copyright :wink:

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 6:30 am

Titangeek wrote:
shugo974 wrote:
uhhhh.....?

i second that

What I overheard was a conversation in which the librarian seemed to think that the CDs were quiet because they were dirty, and cleaning them would restore the correct volume. I thought it was funny.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:04 am

There are programs that will take a group of MP3 files and "equalize" them so they all balance at a similar db level. Some will even adjust a file to a desired db level. Do note that db level is signal strength, not "volume." Weak signals are quiet because they need more amplification to be heard. Strong signals don't need much amplification. I've never understood why a CD would have variable db levels from track to track. Within a song, I could understand the highs and lows, but track to track can be an issue.

However, be careful if it's a MP3 collection. I literally have my MP3s in original ripped format and I copied all of them into a separate directory then used the equalizer program...just in case.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 12:41 pm

StuartN wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
shugo974 wrote:
uhhhh.....?

i second that

What I overheard was a conversation in which the librarian seemed to think that the CDs were quiet because they were dirty, and cleaning them would restore the correct volume. I thought it was funny.

Ah, lol

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:43 pm

When I saw the thread title I imagined an entirely different problem, one that somewhat annoys me. There are some bands that have the last track of their CD about 3 or 4 minutes longer than the song itself and then they have a 30 second "micro-song" of guitar feedback or people laughing and chatting in the recording studio. It's annoying because when I'm listening to my ipod I need to stop what I'm doing and hand-advance the track or just wait out the silence. If I wanted silence, I wouldn't have put on my ipod.

The worst offender was, I think, Counting Crows. They had a track that was about 20 minutes long. There was a 3 minute song, then 15 minutes of silence, then another song. I would hand-advance the track but the second song is actually a very good song. It's not the usual guitar feedback or recording studio chatter. So If I want to hear this second song I have to wait out the 15 minutes of silence. Annoying!

I can't believe several recording studios would do this by accident (it's on several of my CDs) so I can only conclude the band thinks this is an artistic effect. I was hoping when I clicked on the thread that somebody had some sort of program that would snip out the silence, like the program that eqaulizes imbalanced tracks.

But no. It actually turned out to be a non-problem. Although the library should have a CD cleaner. It won't louden up the quiet tracks but library CDs are sometimes terribly filthy.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:47 pm

Janissy wrote:
When I saw the thread title I imagined an entirely different problem, one that somewhat annoys me. There are some bands that have the last track of their CD about 3 or 4 minutes longer than the song itself and then they have a 30 second "micro-song" of guitar feedback or people laughing and chatting in the recording studio. It's annoying because when I'm listening to my ipod I need to stop what I'm doing and hand-advance the track or just wait out the silence. If I wanted silence, I wouldn't have put on my ipod.

The worst offender was, I think, Counting Crows. They had a track that was about 20 minutes long. There was a 3 minute song, then 15 minutes of silence, then another song. I would hand-advance the track but the second song is actually a very good song. It's not the usual guitar feedback or recording studio chatter. So If I want to hear this second song I have to wait out the 15 minutes of silence. Annoying!

I can't believe several recording studios would do this by accident (it's on several of my CDs) so I can only conclude the band thinks this is an artistic effect. I was hoping when I clicked on the thread that somebody had some sort of program that would snip out the silence, like the program that eqaulizes imbalanced tracks.

But no. It actually turned out to be a non-problem. Although the library should have a CD cleaner. It won't louden up the quiet tracks but library CDs are sometimes terribly filthy.

It's called a 'hidden' track, Janissy. It's a gimmick. I agree, they are annoying, especially in the age of the mp3. I used to use a wave editor to snip them out and turn them into their own song.

Here's a list of albums with hidden tracks, so you can avoid buying them. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_al ... dden_track

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:50 pm

If you are using ipod, you can set the start and end time of a song in itune.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 4:56 pm

Moog wrote:
[Here's a list of albums with hidden tracks, so you can avoid buying them. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_al ... dden_track

What a long list. I do already own several of those albums. I looked up what they said about Counting Crows (because that was my most annoying example) and sure enough, it says "unlisted track 'Chelsea' after a lengthy pregap". So now I know the name of the song that I actually like and also that I'm not the only one who noticed how looooooooooong the silence is.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 4:58 pm

CloudWalker wrote:
If you are using ipod, you can set the start and end time of a song in itune.

Good to know. I am using an ipod and have itunes but there are many little features of itunes that I haven't found yet. I only recently realized that I am allowed to change the names of the files and all other info. I'll poke about more. I hadn't even thought to look for such a thing in itunes but I guess there's a lot about itunes I don't know.