Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 6:00 pm

I have removed plasma-netbook (As plasma-netbook was automaticly the UI for some reason) on my Acer Aspire One D250 and it also removed plasma-desktop along with it. So, after that happened I was left with no GUI so I reinstalled Plasma-Desktop package and apt-get it and it works fine.
But the problem is.... every time I boot I log in and no GUI is there.
SO I have to press alt and f2 and type in terminal and then type plasma-desktop.
Can some one give me some help on this?
I want Plasma-desktop to start automatic with no problems.
ALSO my Oxegen theme problem is to do with permissions.

I tried typing in (After login with no UI) sudo plasma-desktop and then BOOM. All the theme changes I made when I havent launched it with sudo.
No problems though, right?
Wrong..
I tried launching Google Chrome and it says "You cannot launch Google Chrome in Sudo".
What do I do?

ALSO
I have another problem... No memorize button at all.

ALSO

I have another problem... When I maximize something it will maximize to full screen (taskbar will still be there but the border is not there)

SO I guess you could say I have a couple problems XD

*small voice* Help? *Small voice*
Im awfully embarrassed by this noobieness.
Im sorry.

Last edited by Madbones on 25 May 2011, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 May 2011, 6:41 pm

Hmm. I don't much like the look of those various sudo-related things. Sounds like you've really messed up some file permissions. 8O
You know you're not supposed to launch bits of the GUI manually as sudo, right? :wink:

Despite what I'd said elsewhere - um, maybe a full 'bare metal' install (as in: have it format from new and start from scratch) might end up being the quickest solution here.
I wouldn't like to think how many files might have permissions screwed now and it's likely to be a real pig finding out...

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 2:16 am

Cornflake wrote:
Hmm. I don't much like the look of those various sudo-related things. Sounds like you've really messed up some file permissions. 8O
You know you're not supposed to launch bits of the GUI manually as sudo, right? :wink:

Despite what I'd said elsewhere - um, maybe a full 'bare metal' install (as in: have it format from new and start from scratch) might end up being the quickest solution here.
I wouldn't like to think how many files might have permissions screwed now and it's likely to be a real pig finding out...

Yeah.
So a full reinstall?
But if I reinstall it will just go back to the plasma-netbook interface.

TO:
The person how is coding Kubuntu.
Im not doing you down... I love your work... But what he hell guys.
If I wanted a netbook version of Kubuntu I would have downloaded it.

Oh well.. Time to whip out my disk.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 May 2011, 5:58 am

Yeah, it's not really satisfactory but is probably the quickest way to get you back to something working. :wink:

I don't know about this plasma-netbook interface; not something I've seen.
But I do know I've done absolutely nothing plasma-related on my desktop installation. It all seems rather too like a Vista/Win7 "me too" look and I can't be arsed with any of it. Just gimme an ordinary desktop, ta, and I'll take it from there. :lol:

But at least once you have something working correctly, you stand a better chance of carefully picking it apart to get to what you want.
I'd suggest you thoroughly research first. I doubt you're the only person not wanting this stuff and as ever, someone will have trodden the path before you.
Document everything you do - it's far too easy to try a couple of things in one go and lose track of what fixed/broke what.

I know what you mean about KUbuntu - it's getting a bit over-blown and I'd rather the developers concentrated on the basics instead of loading it with Windows-like frippery. I'm not sure how much of this is due to the direction KDE is moving or if it's a Canonical speciality, but I'd rather they didn't. I don't really fancy changing distributions, again - I've already been through many of the others and dropped them for similar bloat/glitz-n-glitter reasons.
I've grown lazy and just don't use half this stuff but once upon a time I'd be stripping it all out. As long as it doesn't intrude I can ignore it. Unfortunately the fun starts when it insists on intruding. :roll:

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

26 May 2011, 3:14 am

Do you know how to use crontab? If so you could and the following line to root's crontab:

@reboot plasma-desktop

#I think this will restart the plasma-desktop on reboot. As for the file premissions, have you sudoed anything while trying to get stuff to work? Would you ind showing us your history file? (Use the histrory command in the bash shell)

:D :D :D

James

- Cruch Bang Linux.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 May 2011, 1:28 pm

jamiethesilent wrote:
Do you know how to use crontab? If so you could and the following line to root's crontab:
Should be (and probably once was) set up in init.d. There are better and more correct mechanisms (aka "not broken" :wink: ) for starting system processes. Besides, it would need to be started after X has kicked off.
Quote:
As for the file premissions, have you sudoed anything while trying to get stuff to work?
Yes, he did, and that's part of the reason it's now broken.
Quote:
Would you ind showing us your history file? (Use the histrory command in the bash shell)
That's of very limited use because it doesn't record and keep everything since day #1, and it would also need to be the history of both the user and of root.