Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

maquaii
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2011, 2:10 am

May seem like a foolish quest, but so be it. Still i'm not sure how to explain this. I want full control/understanding over the computer. In the sense that if there is a problem i can find it and fix it. There has only been two problem that hasn't been fixed, but the rest were gut feeling and testing, or googling, not much knowledge.
Basically a "hacker" in the non criminal interpretation which is a "cracker".

Now i found this list, and wondered if some of you would agree.

1. Learn how to program.
Python
Lisp
C++
Java

2. Get one of the open-source Unixes and learn to use and run it.

3. Learn how to use the World Wide Web and write HTML.

Found here: http://www.pavietnam.net/

Oh and any tips, recommendations, anything that could help.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 2:40 am

maquaii wrote:
I want full control/understanding over the computer. In the sense that if there is a problem i can find it and fix it.

Not all problems are solvable by a Turing machine, see here.

maquaii
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2011, 2:51 am

As i said i'm not sure how to explain it, but basically the term hacker should be sufficient.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 3:31 am

maquaii wrote:
2. Get one of the open-source Unixes and learn to use and run it.

Definitely install Linux, even if only as a dual-boot. Get used to the command line and learn to automate regular tasks using the Bash shell - for instance write some shell scripts to post your currently-playing music track to Myspace, or download the weather report as your wallpaper. You could even think up some productive tasks, although the world seems to prefer playing.

maquaii
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2011, 3:45 am

I installed Ubuntu as an extra OS, i figured using it would force me to learn new things. Only using the other windows os now for games and photoshop. At the moment i'm stuck trying to figure out how to get 1680x1050 resolution on this...

Quote:
for instance write some shell scripts to post your currently-playing music track to Myspace, or download the weather report as your wallpaper.

i'd love to be able to do that at least, any places i should go to learn these things? good forums/tutorial/books.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2011, 5:39 am

maquaii wrote:
I installed Ubuntu as an extra OS, i figured using it would force me to learn new things. Only using the other windows os now for games and photoshop. At the moment i'm stuck trying to figure out how to get 1680x1050 resolution on this...

Quote:
for instance write some shell scripts to post your currently-playing music track to Myspace, or download the weather report as your wallpaper.

i'd love to be able to do that at least, any places i should go to learn these things? good forums/tutorial/books.

I could tell you how to fix your resolution but you would never learn that way.

Try to find out if you have the correct drivers installed. The command lshw will help. If you have, Google read-edid.

;)

maquaii
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2011, 6:59 am

How would you expect me to learn, if not from another person? Be it through a forum like this, and article found through google or a book even. When i googled the issue, it was said that one should edit "xorg.conf" to get 1680x1050, but their description of the file didn't match my own. And if thats how to do things then i don't know how to learn without searching for answers. Because if it was the case that editing xorg.conf would help me, i wouldn't even know there was such a file without turning to google.

Yeah i have the right drivers. ....... Wait ... I figured it out =P Sort of... It was locked down to the highest res that my secondary (Cintiq) screen would allow. I unchecked the "same image in all monitors" and can now see and pick the option 1680x1050, but not apply... Wait Now I'm confused... I had to pick a res with the same aspects of 1680x1050, like 1440x900, and then pick 1680x1050, but things are still not right. I've got two lines of icons on the upper tab. (two clocks, two mail, chat, "off button logos")
:?

Hahaha aiaiaiaiai..... :!:

EDIT:

Eh, it wouldn't happen to be a problem with having two screens in ubuntu would it? After selecting the icon for the secondary screen and picking the option "off" things look normal. again
Because it wasn't really that i picked a resolution of the same aspects, it was that when i picked the res of the same aspects that the icon of the second screen got emerged with the primary screen icon. It's like the os can't tell what that second screen really is.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

maquaii wrote:
How would you expect me to learn, if not from another person? Be it through a forum like this, and article found through google or a book even. When i googled the issue, it was said that one should edit "xorg.conf" to get 1680x1050, but their description of the file didn't match my own. And if thats how to do things then i don't know how to learn without searching for answers. Because if it was the case that editing xorg.conf would help me, i wouldn't even know there was such a file without turning to google.

Yeah i have the right drivers. ....... Wait ... I figured it out =P Sort of... It was locked down to the highest res that my secondary (Cintiq) screen would allow. I unchecked the "same image in all monitors" and can now see and pick the option 1680x1050, but not apply... Wait Now I'm confused... I had to pick a res with the same aspects of 1680x1050, like 1440x900, and then pick 1680x1050, but things are still not right. I've got two lines of icons on the upper tab. (two clocks, two mail, chat, "off button logos")
:?

Hahaha aiaiaiaiai..... :!:

EDIT:

Eh, it wouldn't happen to be a problem with having two screens in ubuntu would it? After selecting the icon for the secondary screen and picking the option "off" things look normal. again
Because it wasn't really that i picked a resolution of the same aspects, it was that when i picked the res of the same aspects that the icon of the second screen got emerged with the primary screen icon. It's like the os can't tell what that second screen really is.

I would say its because ubuntu can't get the edid info from your second monitor. Test it with the read-edid package. First install read-edid then type the command get-edid. Post the output.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:40 pm

maquaii wrote:

Join the Ubuntu forums at http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php and have a look at some guides like http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guid ... index.html or http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/index.html

Do some web searches for the kinds of task that interest you (for instance "bash upload facebook photo" if you felt like writing a script to load a photo to your Facebook profile), and ask questions on the Ubuntu forum - my experience is that it is full of people who love to help with coding issues. There isn't much trolling, but people will be quite forceful about why there methods are "best", or why someone else is ignorant.

maquaii
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2011, 5:27 am

After using catalyst i got the screen working, but the mouse icon is all scrambled up on the screen. Tried to install the wacom drivers, after being told this and that package is not installed i think i managed to install the driver. But i'm really not familiar with this system to be able to tell, or how to get the tablet to work. But i really don't need to use the Cintiq on Ubuntu.

StuartN wrote:
maquaii wrote:

Join the Ubuntu forums at http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php and have a look at some guides like http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guid ... index.html or http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/index.html

Do some web searches for the kinds of task that interest you (for instance "bash upload facebook photo" if you felt like writing a script to load a photo to your Facebook profile), and ask questions on the Ubuntu forum - my experience is that it is full of people who love to help with coding issues. There isn't much trolling, but people will be quite forceful about why there methods are "best", or why someone else is ignorant.

Thanks for the links!