Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

04 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm

I need suggestions for the programming club I'm starting at my school.

So far, I'm planning to do stuff in Java, ActionScript, and Visual Basic, because those are the languages I can use on the school computers. (JCreator, Adobe Flash CS4, and Visual Basic)

What should the club do? My teacher suggested entering in a programming competition, but I need more ideas for activities. Suggestions?

Rocker_C
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2011, 8:47 am

Maybe you could programme some arduino boards, and have them do something? :)

Another idea could possibly to look at different codes from electrical items which have been programmed. Disassembling them and having a look together at how they work.

Maybe teach/learn together some DOS scripting/language and pick up some cool tricks together.

You could even get into remote appliance programming over a server. What I mean with this is.. you control a surface (item of your choice) from a remote location through a server. That's enough to take a good few weeks! lol.

Heck, if you could get hold of an EEG headset also, you could control things through programming through using your brain as the control. That's got to be interesting. If you want help with that.. there's a few guys on a site called "Instructables". They're pretty friendly and would chat to you. And also.. there's tons of projects with short guides on there for programming projects!

I would try making it as practical as you can, that way you can all work towards a goal easier as you'll have a clearer target and more motivation to come back and work on it whenever you can.

Chris