Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:04 am

WoodenBoy wrote:
"Square + cube" is actually quite meaningful for me.

There is a thing in geometry called the "Minkowski sum", which I don't think has anything in common with the Minkowski space stuff in relativity.

To obtain the Minkowski sum of two objects, you essentially replace each point in one object with a copy of the other (you get the same result whichever way round you do it).

The most relevant picture I can find is here:

You can think of that 3d figure as the Minkowski sum of a line segment and a cube.

judging from that diagram (which resembles a tesseract or 4D cube) of line segment plus a cube.
Then a square plus a cube would be a "Penteract", a 5D cube.
What's happening is the number of dimensions in each thing added are themselves added for the number of dimensions in the result.

WoodenBoy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 5:19 pm

That's an interesting interpretation, pete1061! I used to doodle tesseracts like that, starting with 2 identical wireframe cubes and joining the vertices together.

If you think of that diagram as the "cube+line segment Minkowski sum", however, you should view it as a 3d object. You should ignore some of the dotted lines which are inside the figure, and just picture the surface of it.

Random fact: Minkowski sums are probably used in the majority of 3d computer games nowadays, for collision detection purposes.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 7:43 am

cw10 wrote:

Something like this I would imagine.

That looks like a lot of fun.

Sunshine7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull