Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 10:02 am

do you guys prefer using your regular laptop for everyday online stuff or would you rather do it on a tablet to make things easier. I already know you coders out there need a laptop. I'm talking about email and basic social media or wrongplanet, for example. I have a nice computer so I use it slot but at times like now I sit around within my iPad because it's easier.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 4:15 pm

Sometimes I have a bunch of stuff to do so I get on the laptop because everything is so much quicker and more intuitive with a keyboard and mouse, but I mostly just use the iPad. I have it sitting out, always nearby and always turned on, and I love the convenience of being able to quickly look something up and toss it aside without having to get on the computer.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 3:12 am

if i'm just reading, the mobility of a tablet is a great asset, but once i'm starting to browse or type, it's PC all the way (or a laptop, as long as i get an actual keybord+mouse).
i have the habit of just opening a lot of tabs with the middle mouse button, and tablets dont have that convinience (long-press just doesn't cut it) and typing on such things is just awful.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 3:16 am

I'm using my iPad more and more, at the expense of my PC.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 5:38 am

I much prefer using a PC. I absolutely loathe typing on touchscreens, and switching between multiple apps on a mobile device is such a pain in the ass. As well, no mobile device I've used works as quickly or responds as well to input as my PC.

I know the world is moving away from PCs and towards mobile devices and OSes, but dammit, I'm an old stick in the mud, and I like using a PC.

For a while I was considering getting a tablet, but now I'm considering getting a small laptop instead. After reading a buyer's guide about used Thinkpads, I've come to the conclusion that an X201 would be a great pick for me. Essentially, a Thinkpad X201 is similar to a Microsoft Surface Pro, only they've been around longer, and they can be obtained much more cheaply. Sure, they're probably not nearly as thin as a Surface Pro would be, but that doesn't matter so much to me, because it's a laptop that can be converted into a tablet, not the other way around. :P

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 5:47 am

I love using my iPad, which has so many excellent features and creative apps that it's pretty much replaced my MacBook for mobile use or around the house. But a desktop computer is still indispensable, and my iMac does things that the iPad still can't do plus it has all my data.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

Tablets are great for mobile/portable use. but they will never replace a full size PC. To say that tablets will replace a PC is like saying that A Casio keyboard will replace the grand piano.

Bentastic197
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2015, 1:14 pm

I am not fond to tablets (ipad etc.) Because it's a pain to work with. However, I prefer a PC or laptop. I am also digging into the chrome book :)

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:30 pm

It depends on what I want or need to do.

iPad/iPhone/Wii U tablet are good for reading web browsing and other less power intensive tasks.

When I need to use more power intensive software or write something of length I prefer my laptop.

racedad68
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm

My tablet is nice for reading ebooks and other things that format well for it, and I use it for quickies like checking the weather forecast and some news reading. But to do anything more complex, like online comparson shopping, research or anything where I need to type, the laptop wins hands down. It's not just the lack of tactile feedback, it's the whole tablet interface with it's one-thing-at-a-time, you-don't-want-to-know-how-this-works approach. I appreciate convenience, but I HAVE to know what's going on inside the machines I use.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm

I prefer my laptop for reading and typing e-mails, visiting websites, posting replies.

I like my tablet for the most casual of internet use such as quickly looking something up, but as others have said, I HATE typing on a touchscreen.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 9:16 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I much prefer using a PC. I absolutely loathe typing on touchscreens, and switching between multiple apps on a mobile device is such a pain in the ass. As well, no mobile device I've used works as quickly or responds as well to input as my PC.

I know the world is moving away from PCs and towards mobile devices and OSes, but dammit, I'm an old stick in the mud, and I like using a PC.

I second that emotion. I use my tablet primarily as an E-reader and to play Angry Birds.

I live on the PC, and I prefer composing on a full size keyboard. I also organize and edit a lot of music and have professional grade speakers, an amp, an audio processor, a turntable and a studio mic connected to my system. I wouldn't use a laptop, they're a toy version of a real computer, nor would I ever store personal data on somebody else's commercial "cloud" servers. My phone will do everything the tablet will do, but its like computing on a Crackerjack prize. :roll:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 9:24 pm

The one thing I like using my phone for is as a "pager" of sorts, and for quickly shooting emails and Facebook messages. The word prediction on SwiftKey is good enough for most daily conversations, though I still find touch keyboards a pain in the ass to use for forums and such. It's a weird thing, I hate typing out long messages with my phone, but I prefer using it for keeping in touch with my "real life" contacts, since the Gmail and Facebook Messenger apps are more streamlined and quicker to access than their respective websites.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2015, 5:55 am

I own many machines.
When I'm going to be a long time on the computer I use my PC Big Laptop (50cm diagonal screen).
When I need to work on personal things I or use my MacBook, or my IMac on my office (IMac for editing)
But I also use a lot my small Netbook with Windows 7 starter that I walk around the apartment with, lay down in bed in, surf the Internet and to do basic stuff.
I once owned an IPad mini, but I sold it, not a big fan of tablets, plus I can take my small Netbook all over and it as more capabilities.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 4:20 am

I use laptop, tablet and phone all for different things depending on the circumstances and what is nearby.
Wouldn't write a long email on the phone, wouldn't climb out of bed to get the computer to browse the morning news.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 4:38 am

I love the immediacy of the ipad, and now I can type on it nearly as fast as a keyboard I use it all the time.
My day job demands Windows keyboard and coding skills, and my PC at home's a Mac. I use iAWriter for text generation, iThoughtsHD for general note taking, DropBox for ...
And all the gaming I've done in years is on the iPad