Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 11:46 pm

How do I get my Laptop to connect to the Internet, if I don't have access to a Router? Is there a special device that's small and portable? How much do they cost? This is very urgent.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 11:56 pm

Depends on your 'net connection. If you're on dialup, most laptops these days have built-in modems that you just plug the phoneline into. Dial into the ISP and you're good to go.
If you're on Shaw, you can run some Cat-5 cable straight from the cablemodem to the laptop (provided it has the appropriate jack... most current laptops do). Telus I'm not so sure on.
Regardless, I'd strongly advise picking up a router as soon as possible. Not a hub, but a router.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 6:32 pm

It depends on how you connect, and what cable/DSL modem you have. Usually, you can just run cat3/5 cable between your computer and the modem. If you're not planning on moving the laptop much, and it's close to the modem, you may also be able to use a USB connection, though in some instances you may need a proprietary,ISP supplied driver for this to work (BellSouth was notorious for this)

Also, if you have been running the modem with a router, you may need to take the modem out of bridged mode in order for it to work properly with a single computer. If this is the case, there should be a reset button somewhere on the back of the modem that will restore the modem to default factory/ISP settings. All Login info stored in the modem will have to be re-entered afterwards, though.

That being said, the built in LAN adapter in laptops will sometimes die, in which case, you'll have to get a PCMCIA, or USB LAN adapter in order to connect.

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2006, 5:28 pm

If your laptop has wireless internet and you live in a wifi zone then enable the wireless on the computer (normally a "F" button or a switch on the side) and then you are connected. Alternativley a router is your best bet and can be picked up very cheap now. Same again if your laptop has wireless technology (centrino/celron M) then pick up one with a wireless router and you can connect from upto 300 yards away.