Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Atomika
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 11:06 pm

Anyone either know what this is and/or have any interest in it? If technology progresses as it does right now, we would reach this by the year 2030-2050. Alot of Transhumanism and Doomsday scenarios are usually involved with this.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 12:25 am

I'm a pretty big fan of this stuff. Have you seen the KurzweilAI site? It's all about this kinda stuff. The guy responsible for the site has written quite a few books on the topic too. Hopefully we'll get singularity if dumbass NTs don't manage to kill us all first or launch somekind of luddite "holy war" against technological progress.

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2007, 1:28 am

I am not a huge expert on Kurtzweil, I believe that 2030-2050 is where we evolve into the new stage of human evolution where we evolve and transend our bodies through technology into a higher state. That our cerebral power increases(possibly through the use of neural implants) and nanobots can repair any part of the body causing us to live long. Stephen Hawking does agree with the theories of Ray Kurtzweil on this issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near
rhttp://www.johnhorgan.org/work7.htm

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 11:05 am

Quite a few good links here too....

http://www.xeromag.com/hplusresources.html

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2007, 1:49 pm

It's pure fantasy. There never will be anything like that in the future :-Z~

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 2:49 pm

sderenzi wrote:

and you know this because....

Atomika
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 3:25 pm

I like the links leading to nanotech, I even once did a research project in Chemistry about it.

About computer implants and nanotech, I once saw a show on the Discovery Channel and it featured some high-profile people from MIT talking about all of the ways we could enhance the human brain by using nanoprobes. They were talking about telecommunication, such how we would be able to connect to the internet by thought alone and even be able to make transactions and pay bills like that, its pretty sick stuff.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not sure if you've been to this site but it talks alot about transhumanism: www.futurehi.net.

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2007, 7:28 pm

sderenzi wrote:

They have already started experiments on neural implantation. If sucessful, I would be the first in line for neural implantation microchips.Of course, they must be resistant to electromagnetic pulses. What is the point to have neural implantation chips in your body where a simple electromagnetic pulse can kill you.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 7:50 pm

I wouldn't do the chip implanting thing. One of the newer cyberman episodes of Doctor Who has left its mark.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 9:18 am

dimensionaltraveler wrote:
sderenzi wrote:

They have already started experiments on neural implantation. If sucessful, I would be the first in line for neural implantation microchips.

Not if I beat you to it. :lol:

Quote:
Of course, they must be resistant to electromagnetic pulses. What is the point to have neural implantation chips in your body where a simple electromagnetic pulse can kill you.

I wonder if Professor Warwick has considered EMP.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 9:19 am

Thanks for the links everyone. :D

Not getting futurehi at the moment though...