Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 4:46 am

I'm thinking of buying the new Windows 8, I wonder what is better than Windows 7, does the difference can be felt?

Adamalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2012, 5:26 am

windows 8 is absolute s**t.
it's made for tablets really instead of pc's.
they removed a load of things that are in windows 7 from it as well and put them in a special extra that you have to buy to get them.

stick with windows 7 or learn how to use linux, trust me on this

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2012, 8:43 am

Adamalone wrote:
they removed a load of things that are in windows 7 from it as well and put them in a special extra that you have to buy to get them.

Which features are you talking about?

Adamalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2012, 10:11 am

read this

it's long but it just about covers everything

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 10:31 am

I've been using Windows 8 since May. That's 6 months already. Before that I had Windows 7 for about 2 1/2 years. My machine is really a w7 which I changed to w8. W8 is great because it has a lot of built-in features which eliminates 3rd party programs like anti-virus/anti-mal-ware, virtual drive creators, etc. It boots up quickly and is just as lean as W7. I've been through all incarnations of Windows. I've been using them for, what, 20 or 30 years? I don't work for Microsoft. I'm just an end user.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 11:18 am

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo!! !!

It took me seemingly forever to adjust to the change on the microsoft 2007 suite. I grew up using the basic set up of windows, when you change everything I am completely lost. My mind NEEDS it to stay the same. I still want my old tried and true tool bars back, now you are going to change how I find and operate programs. FORGET IT!!

Grrrrr...

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2012, 11:30 am

I've been both using and learning to develop with Windows 8. It's deeply flawed in ways that make doing the simplest thing annoying, and the Win8 vs classic Windows split causes constant confusion about settings and where you are. The "flat" Metro look is bizarre, especially since they introduced Aero at a time when few machines had the graphics horsepower to run it. Now that most machines can run Aero, suddenly they go back to Windows 1.0 with an EGA-style flat look and feel. The flat look makes it very difficult to tell what is what on the screen. Windows don't have borders, controls don't have borders. Often there is no feedback on what to click or where to click it.

I've only used an Intel-based PC, because I need to run Visual Studio. From a developer standpoint, WinRT isn't bad, because it uses the same XAML and UI designer that was already in VS2010, so you only have to incrementally learn the differences. They did, however, take standard C++ and change it with language extensions (a favorite thing for MS to do).

I can't figure out what Microsoft is trying to do with the Surface. For the price of a deluxe laptop with a 15.6" screen and i5 processor, you get a wimpy low-power machine with a 10" screen. Who their target customer is - I can't figure out.

Not having a start menu is annoying, because to start something you have to go back to the other WinRT desktop and hunt through the tiles to try to find it. You can pin things to the taskbar, but ... only if you can find them and run them, and then pin them. I had to drill and drill through the file system to find the control panel to pin it to the taskbar.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 11:36 am

People who use Microsoft products seem to have a much richer Internet experience than those of us who use other operating systems such as Unix or Linux -- they have many more encounters with viruses and spyware and others maliciously taking control over their computers. Plus, it gives them a natural topic of conversation about common experiences -- how to deal with those issues.

And every time Microsoft comes out with a new Release or Version, everything changes. That results in hours of pleasure learning to deal with the changes. For those of us who use Unix and Linux, one Release looks and acts pretty much like the last, just with some functional improvements for the most part.

We who use Unix or Linux have trouble comprehending all the hours of additional enjoyment those who use Microsoft operating systems are able to derive from their computers of which we are deprived. For us, life just goes on quietly and uninterrupted -- perhaps too quiet.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 11:59 am

I think I'd rather learn Mac OSX than Windows8, and I've been a PC guy since the original IBM PC (4.77MHz)

Yuck. Just.... YUCK! I hate it!

Bcrnic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2012, 5:06 pm

Sure, it has some changes, but its still really cool and now windows is fun! It's not boring, now it's like a Mac. It's really intuitive.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 6:03 pm

eric76 wrote:
People who use Microsoft products seem to have a much richer Internet experience than those of us who use other operating systems such as Unix or Linux -- they have many more encounters with viruses and spyware and others maliciously taking control over their computers. Plus, it gives them a natural topic of conversation about common experiences -- how to deal with those issues.

And every time Microsoft comes out with a new Release or Version, everything changes. That results in hours of pleasure learning to deal with the changes. For those of us who use Unix and Linux, one Release looks and acts pretty much like the last, just with some functional improvements for the most part.

We who use Unix or Linux have trouble comprehending all the hours of additional enjoyment those who use Microsoft operating systems are able to derive from their computers of which we are deprived. For us, life just goes on quietly and uninterrupted -- perhaps too quiet.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2012, 9:10 pm

I am not biased or anything but i think Microsoft did an awesome job performance wise, it loads a lot faster then windows 7 did. However metero is going to destroy microsoft in the long run. Of course i dont care as i use linux ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:46 am

i played with several of 'em and found they are generally buggy- the touchscreen models have dodgy touch performance and the touchpad versions are the same. they don't offer the seamless experience of an apple product. and they also seem to be even more of a resource hog than windows 7, in that a 4G RAM puter [AMD entry-level cpu] performs just as badly on w8 as a 2GB RAM [celeron] puter ran on w7, from my experience using the new puters at best buy. you'd best stick to a premium processor/premium memory of at least 6GB when using the new OS.

quux
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2012, 6:28 am

eric76 wrote:

Except when you thought learning to use linux on Gentoo was a good idea, and some new update screws up half your settings and then gcc's libraries get munged, etc etc (though it only happened to me once, after I put xfce4 on a amd64 box. I don't really know how it happened).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 6:31 am

quux wrote:
I put xfce4 on a amd64 box

I pretty much stick to Windowmaker on my UNIX and Linux machines. It does an excellent job and has never given me a bit of problems.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 8:04 am

I know eventually I will have to buy another laptop. The laptop I'm using now is around 5 or 6 years old. But the way I have it set up I manage to make it run fast. It run faster than even the new computers. But, I had to replace the harddrive and installed Windows Vista Home Premium. Then the next thing is I had to upgrade the memory. And now I will have to upgrade the Graphics after my computer shut down while watching You Tube Videos. I don't know how many more upgrades I can make on this thing.

Anyhow getting back to Windows 8. I was completely turned off with Windows 8 after spending some time working with it on a laptop in Staples the other day because it seems to be so lacking in many ways. I'm not too crazy about Windows 7 either. I have a new desktop with Windows 7 and after using it for a while I found out what I think of Windows 7. But, I do like Windows Vista really well though I had to install some of my own software like Microsoft Office 2007. So until this thing completely die where I can't upgrade it or fix it anymore, then I will probably buy a good use laptop that has more on it and do any upgrades that it needs.