Yes 70%  70%  [ 16 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 23

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 1:46 pm

Inventor wrote:
The neanderthal was acustomed to the ice age, hunting in fog and thick brush, and the stabbing spear can be used to hold the game down till it is dead. Something that runs vanishes, it seems they used the stab and lever over method.

For what it's worth, we are still in the ice age. It began something like two million years ago (I'm not sure about the most accepted date for the beginning of the ice age.)

Quote:
The ice withdrew, and between 27,000 and 22,000 years ago it was hot. Several degrees warmer than today, with sea level seven meters higher. The whole hunting complex of the neanderthal was gone, the other animals were also greatly reduced, less food and more bugs.

No.

After reading later, I see that you are talking about the previous interglacial warm period known as the Eemian. It began about 130,000 years ago and lasted for about 12,000 to 16,000 years.

There was an intermittent period where it warmed up about 60,000 years ago and lasted until about 30,000 years ago. That period was apparently not warm enough to be considered an interglacial warm period.

Quote:

The warm phase returned 8,000 years ago, turned grass, lakes, trees, with very old species of crocidiles, hippos, to bones, and formed the Sahara. It was quick. While the heat went away the desert stayed.

The most accepted time for the begining of the Holocene, our current interglacial warm period, was about 11,700 years ago. 8,000 years ago was the Holocene Climatic Optimum when it is thought to be the about two to three degrees Centigrade warmer than today. The Sahara Desert is thought to have been green during the Holocene Climatic Optimum.

All in all, I think that your description is quite accurate (don't know about the snowing six inches a day for a thousand years, though), but many of the dates seem to be way off.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 8:05 pm

eric76 wrote:
Inventor wrote:
The neanderthal was acustomed to the ice age, hunting in fog and thick brush, and the stabbing spear can be used to hold the game down till it is dead. Something that runs vanishes, it seems they used the stab and lever over method.

For what it's worth, we are still in the ice age. It began something like two million years ago (I'm not sure about the most accepted date for the beginning of the ice age.)

Quote:
The ice withdrew, and between 27,000 and 22,000 years ago it was hot. Several degrees warmer than today, with sea level seven meters higher. The whole hunting complex of the neanderthal was gone, the other animals were also greatly reduced, less food and more bugs.

No.

After reading later, I see that you are talking about the previous interglacial warm period known as the Eemian. It began about 130,000 years ago and lasted for about 12,000 to 16,000 years.

There was an intermittent period where it warmed up about 60,000 years ago and lasted until about 30,000 years ago. That period was apparently not warm enough to be considered an interglacial warm period.

Quote:

The warm phase returned 8,000 years ago, turned grass, lakes, trees, with very old species of crocidiles, hippos, to bones, and formed the Sahara. It was quick. While the heat went away the desert stayed.

The most accepted time for the begining of the Holocene, our current interglacial warm period, was about 11,700 years ago. 8,000 years ago was the Holocene Climatic Optimum when it is thought to be the about two to three degrees Centigrade warmer than today. The Sahara Desert is thought to have been green during the Holocene Climatic Optimum.

All in all, I think that your description is quite accurate (don't know about the snowing six inches a day for a thousand years, though), but many of the dates seem to be way off.

The Cro Magnons invaded western europe during an "interstatial"- a MILD warming in the depths of the last ice age- around 35 thousand years ago.

Like eric76 said- it way too minor to be called an "interglacial".

And it quickly unwarmed back to the ice age norm.

The Neanderthalss had survived in western europe for 200 thousand years (including many other interstatials).

The slight climatic change was not likely much of a stress to the Neanderthals.

The invading humans with thier new Upper Paleolithic tool kit (superior to the Mousterian tool kit of the neanderthals) is what did the neanderthals in. Not climate change.

Sorry Inventor- I know that you're obsessed with climate change- but you cant thread every single bead in history with it.

After the neanderthals died out the anatomical moderns continued to hunt the same megafauna ice age game ( mammoths and aurochs and horses) that had been the quarry of the Neanderthals. And they did so until the ice age really did end around 10 thousand BC.

I dont really think they should bring back the neanderthals as a race.

But cloning a little family of neanderthals -so we could give them aptitude tests. And see what they think of "keeping up with the Khardashians" would be cool. They might be astounded that we waste our time on such tripe - and accuse us of being "a bunch of Neanderthals!"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 8:33 pm

There was even a brief reversion to the Ice Age between 1350 c.e and 1715 c.e (approximately) in that period there were several summers "without sun" and famine followed since the crops did not ripen for the harvest.

Now I have a question. All those prior warming periods came without any human involvement. Why is the current warming period looked upon as a man-made disaster?

ruveyn

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
There was even a brief reversion to the Ice Age between 1350 c.e and 1715 c.e (approximately) in that period there were several summers "without sun" and famine followed since the crops did not ripen for the harvest.

Now I have a question. All those prior warming periods came without any human involvement. Why is the current warming period looked upon as a man-made disaster?

ruveyn

Because people don't understand how small our own contribution is. We're speeding the process up a little, but it'd happen without us.

You will reap what you've sown.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 9:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Elephants have bigger brains than do neanderthals, modern men, or modern women.

Sperm whales (the species that moby dick belonged to) have the biggest brains of all- bigger even than the brains of the bigger blue whales (the largest animals on the planet).

Men have bigger brains than women because men have bigger body sizes.

Neanderthals were bigger boned and more muscular on average than we are. So relative to their body wieght they may not have been brainier than us.

Even if they were, and even if they were indeed 'smarter' than we are they were probably less able to pool their wisdom than we are through communication.

The Mousterian (neanderthal) stone tool culture was superior to that of the lower paleolithic ( homo erectus), but was way surpassed by that of the upper paleolithic (anatomical moderns).

There was as steady increase in "cutting edge per once of stone" in the stone tools of stone age cultures -the neanderthals were superior to their predecessors but inferior the anatomical moderns ( us when we were cave men) who drove them to extinction.

I doubt that they were unambiguously "smarter" than we are.

But their extinction was probably more complex than them being just dumber than we are either. They probably lacked some key mental talent that we have-like communication- or language skills.

All the more reason to clone them- I say- and find out!

BTW- its not as simple as the ratio of body size to brain size either.

Smaller animals have bigger brains relative to their sizes than do big animals (chihuahuas have bigger brains relative to their sizes than do st. Bernards but have no greater intelligence).

The animal with biggest brain relative to its size is the gibbon.
But gibbons are very small apes. And they are the least intelligent of apes- lower in IQ than Orangutans, chimps, bonobos, gorillas, and ofcourse humans.

So-its complex.

But one on one- a neanderthal could kick an anatomical modern's ass in any physical fight.
I think some brain size contributes to intelligence but it's brain size in proportion to head size.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Last edited by wtfid2 on 13 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 9:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
We don't have a complete Neanderthal genome, nor are we likely to get one.

The Neanderthals died out because we were smarter then they were. Do you want to dumb down the human race?

ruveyn
The irony is that you spelled than, a simple 3rd grade word incorrectly.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

blackelk wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
We don't have a complete Neanderthal genome, nor are we likely to get one.

The Neanderthals died out because we were smarter then they were. Do you want to dumb down the human race?

ruveyn

Exactly. Why create a race of humans that will be inferior? It would be cruel and twisted to the Neandertals themselves.
i bet neanderthals would be more popular than me with the ladies :p

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:54 am

A larger brain, while containing more interconnected brain cells - and thus be more intelligent, would likely also be slower due to longer signal travel times.

Caesaran
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2012, 12:36 pm

Although neanderthals would make an excellent worker race if we mixed a little homo sapien DNA in their's. Have a like a small to do our farming for us.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 1:39 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
A larger brain, while containing more interconnected brain cells - and thus be more intelligent, would likely also be slower due to longer signal travel times.

I should look more into that - it describes ME well! :oops:

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:33 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
I think some brain size contributes to intelligence but it's brain size in proportion to head size.

Its the shape of the skull actually. Its the key as seen through all fossil evidence.

The frontal area of the brain (aka, your forehead area) is the cognitive region. A flat forehead (slanted backward) = very little space allocated to cognition (even if there is a massive brain behind it).

As our toolkit became more complex so did the shape of the skull.. and the one critical change to it was the forehead slope changing from 'flat' to 'vertical' that we have now.

...and amazingly, it seems that the change to the skull itself was not fueled by the brain pushing up&out but rather it was tool use. Tool use allowed us to stop using our teeth for tasks and for chewing/cutting food...which means we no longer needed massive jaw muscles and muscle attachments. Those are located to either side of our eye sockets and the side & top of the skull (in some species).

As our diet improved (due to tool use) and our skull was no longer restrained from growth by the need for powerful jaw muscles, the brain (fueled by better nutrition) expanded and the skull adapted. This lead to better tools hence better food and lessened teeth use...more brain growth..and it became a self sustaining cycle. This is literally how we lose our 'snout'.

Neanderthal had a slight 'snout' (prognathic) and their forehead did have a steeper backward slant than we did. Their skull bone thickness was also three times our own.