Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 4:07 pm

Hey!
Is it possible to redirect a DDOS with the host file?
Any ideas?
What would the legalities be? Not thinking of doing it, but if I ever do get an attack itd be an idea.

Thanks!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Dec 2012, 7:17 pm

No. If it was then DDOS wouldn't be a problem for anyone.

It's forcing the denial of a service your system would normally provide, achieved by piling traffic onto the interface faster than it can be handled - making, say, tens of thousands of requests per second for web pages. You could probably achieve it locally as a test: see man ping, and check the 'flood ping' option.
Rather like 1000 people turning up and shouting loudly while you're trying to explain something on the telephone. It won't work out well, even if you do attempt to tell them to go next door... :wink:

If it was possible to redirect it and you redirected it to another site, you'd be helping create a DDOS attack on that site. That wouldn't work out well either, but for different reasons.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

Using the hosts file on a web server will do little to offset a DDOS. However, if you have control of the nameserver for the domain which the attacks are directed, you can change the address to point to either a private ip address, or the ip address of the suspected originator of the attack. Just beware that changing the ip to that of a suspected atacker may open you up to legal vulnerabilities.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 3:09 am

DDoS attacks have little do with with the DNS parts of windows which the host file is. DDoS deals with the WAN IP Address. If the DDoS attack is on your home internet then depending what you have and if they use DHCP then all would have to be done is disconnect the Modem for sometime and let the IP release and then plug it back in.