Windows 8 not showing my files, settings or bookmarks

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2013, 3:14 am

When I turned on my laptop this morning, it acted as if I'd never turned it on before and started doing the "how to use windows" thing. Then it got stuck when I was supposed to move the mouse into one corner but it was unresponsive, so I had to restart it.

Now it is letting me log on to my user area, but all of my personal things are gone. The settings are back to default, nearly every single metro tile is missing except "store" and "desktop", the desktop icons are back to default with all of my personal ones missing, there is no "My Documents" icon in the bottom left corner of the desktop, on Chrome my bookmarks are missing etc.

My installed programs are still there and have icons. Also, I know my files are somewhere on the computer because I can find and open certain ones by using the search feature.

How do I get my user area back to how it was? At the very least, how to I get the "My Documents" icon back on the taskbar? I have restarted several times but it's not going back to normal.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Apr 2013, 8:58 am

The only thing I have been able to get Windows 8 to do is play MahJong. Good luck to you, really. That was my laptop, it's on my bedside table. Now I'm happily back in the living room with WinXP.

If you find any answers, please share.