Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:05 pm

I'm having to use Internet Explorer to get on the web! I was in the middle of writing a post in the Random forum then POOF the Firefox screen went into some crazy big magnification mode for no apparent reason. It was so big the control bar was gone off the top of the screen and it was covering the windows task bar below. As I had no means to resize the window or even close it I did a CTRL ALT DEL to get task manager up and killed firefox. Now when I open firefox all I get is a big white screen (it completely fills my screen) and I have to use ALT TAB to get to any other application. In effect Firefox is dead in the water. I've tried rebooting, no difference, I've run CCleaner and wiped the firefox cache. I've tried searching for clues to how to solve this problem but only found one suggestion to press Ctrl 0 but that has no effect. Any suggestions anyone how to get Firefox working again please - preferably without wiping all my settings and profile?

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:17 pm

I am sure you have probably tried this but have you tried hitting F11? F11 toggles firefox's fullscreen mode but I still have a menu bar when I do that so that might not be the problem. You could uninstall and reinstall firefox if that doesn't help, I am not sure if that would delete your settings or not as your settings are located in:

Code:
C:\users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox

On Windows 7, you could try to delete that folder if you want but that would erase your bookmarks and profile.

Thats all the help I can really offer, sry.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:24 pm

Don't panic. Hit Ctrl+0 (zero) which resets Firefox to normal zoom factor.
Ctrl++ zooms in.
Ctrl+– zooms out.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

dcj123 you are my hero! :D F11 did the trick! I never knew that existed. Doesn't seem a very useful feature when it is so big no controls are visible on screen - and it even hides the Windows task bar.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm

TallyMan wrote:
dcj123 You are my hero! :D F11 did the trick! I never knew that existed. Doesn't seem a very useful feature when it is so big no controls are visible on screen - and it even hides the Windows task bar.

Glad I could help, I have done the same thing before and you are correct, it is not a very useful feature IMO.

Last edited by dcj123 on 20 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm

Krabo wrote:
Don't panic. Hit Ctrl+0 (zero) which resets Firefox to normal zoom factor.
Ctrl++ zooms in.
Ctrl+– zooms out.

I tried Ctrl + 0 but it didn't work. Thankfully F11 worked. I'm now back on Firefox again. Yay! :D

flamebolt925
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

i use lunascape myself it is a triple engine browser here webpage if u want to learn more about lunascape

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:50 pm

^ I like Firefox because of the add-ons. I'd be lost without AdBlock Plus and NoScript. Oddly enough this is the second wobbly that Firefox has thrown today. Earlier on while typing a PM there was a lag of a second or two between me hitting keys and the characters appearing on screen.

Presenting a user with a completely blank white screen when opening Firefox isn't a very user-friendly thing to do. It gives no clues on what has gone wrong or how to fix it - it just looks like firefox has malfunctioned and is broke. Anyway, I'll know to press F11 if it ever does it again.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 1:01 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I tried Ctrl + 0 but it didn't work. Thankfully F11 worked. I'm now back on Firefox again. Yay! :D

Yes indeed because it was a fullscreen mode issue. -- I have experienced similar things. They are triggered by some accidental key sequences but I have never been able to remember what I did immediately before they occurred.

And I hate to confess it, but any time that they do happen, I'm almost in panic. Nay, skip the word "almost."