Windows 7 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
Windows 8.1 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 63

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 4:31 am

RichardJ wrote:
My everyday use desktop runs Windows NT 4.0 service pack 6a and my laptop, an IBM ThinkPad runs Windows 98 Second Edition. I also have another desktop running Win2k but due to hardware problems everytime I try to boot it I first have to run a install disk repair or else it sticks on login and only loads explorer.

Aren't you worried about security vulnerabilities? :O

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 7:39 am

Windows 7 Pro on five computers (two work and three home)
Windows 8.1 on my laptop
Windows 8.1 Pro on two home computers
Windows XP on two home computers, and two virtual computers
Linux Mint Debian 'Betsy' Cinnamon (virtual work computer running on Windows 7, and one laptop)
Linux Mint Ubuntu Mate (on a desktop)
DOS 6.62 on a virtual computer.

I will be gradually updating to Windows 10.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:47 am

Pick one? What is this 1990?

OSX (Mavericks and Yosemite), iOS, Android, Ubuntu, openSuse, Windows 8, Windows 7.

Can't pick one, use 'em all.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 1:46 pm

Adamantium wrote:

OSX (Mavericks and Yosemite), iOS, Android, Ubuntu, openSuse, Windows 8, Windows 7.

It's 2015 and I can't afford more then one computer. My condolences about that Windows 8.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 2:48 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

It's 2015 and I can't afford more then one computer. My condolences about that Windows 8.

If you have a smartphone and a computer, as many do, you have more than one OS.

If all you have is one computer and a no smartphone, there is no reason for this to limit you to one OS:
You can run Windows for your games and Linux for your software development environment.

IF you have a mac you will be accustomed to doing some stuff in the GUI environment and some stuff in your favorite shell in the freeBSD-derived Darwin environment on which that GUI sits.

Windows 8 is fine 8O 8O 8O , once you understand how to get to the inner workings. It has a lot of features that make it better for a touch/pen based system like the Surface Pro than Windows 7. I suspect Windows 10 will be even better. :mrgreen:

I can't afford a bunch of computers either, but my job gives them to use to complete my work and the Surface Pro 3 was part of job-related training.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

I currently only use Manjaro ( Arch Linux based ) on my home computer. Really pleased with it, programming on Linux is so much better than in Windows. Yes, I know Windows has Visual Studio. But VS is slow, unstable, unpredictable and generally not very pleasant to work with. I'll take my gVim and clang over VS anytime!

I did try Windows 10 though. And generally like it. At least more so than 8. But I'd want to remove a lot of crap they added like SkyDrive/OneDrive and Cortana. Generally improvements to make things easier to use tends to go wrong on Windows. At least in my opinion.

On work I use Windows 8. That works alright, I guess. It's pretty much like Windows 7, so that's good. That unstable piece of software called Visual Studio is way more annoying to me than Windows 8 itself.

And yes, I own an Android phone + tablet. I also do some programming on Windows phones / tabs so there is that too.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 7:24 am

I use Windows 8.1 (upgrading to Windows 10 soon), Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition. Arch Linux is fantastic, but I've had to bite the bullet and use LMDE because of various compatibility issues. Nevertheless, I'll never use Ubuntu again; it's painfully slow and unstable.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 10:12 am

Seriously, no FreeBSD users here. 0% of you use Unix, what a shame. I rarely use FreeBSD but sometimes it's nice to boot it up.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Jul 2015, 10:25 am

I've been using Ubuntu for the last couple months since my old hdd went kaput, I had a wiped HDD and had a lot of trouble trying to install a couple other distros on it until Ubuntu finally worked(on the 2nd try, different download) for whatever reason.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Jul 2015, 8:20 pm

Windows 7

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 7:32 am

Rudin wrote:
Seriously, no FreeBSD users here. 0% of you use Unix, what a shame. I rarely use FreeBSD but sometimes it's nice to boot it up.

I use Mac OSX which is at heart a FreeBSD fork with a highly evolved window manager.

I don't particularly feel a need to install FreeBSD when I have Darwin, Open Suse and a variety of other Linux distros at hand.

Why do you like to boot it up periodically? Are OSs as a class a particular interest of yours?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 8:47 am

Adamantium wrote:
Rudin wrote:

I use Mac OSX which is at heart a FreeBSD fork with a highly evolved window manager.

I don't particularly feel a need to install FreeBSD when I have Darwin, Open Suse and a variety of other Linux distros at hand.

Why do you like to boot it up periodically? Are OSs as a class a particular interest of yours?

I'm not sure I have a bootable USB and sometimes I select "Live CD" and just look at it. Sometimes I play around with it. Advantages of FreeBSD is it is very similar to Linux but less likely to get viruses because it is much less popular. At one point Linux was the most popular OS now that title belongs to Windows 7.q

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

RTFM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2015, 4:11 pm

I use {Open,Free}BSD. It is Unix in everything but legal naming. But until FreeBSD's linux layer can run certain CAD bin packages then I have to keep a computer for Gentoo :/

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

Right now, I have Windows XP running on my netbook which I use all the time, Windows 7 on my main desktop, Ubuntu 14.04 on a spare laptop, and Windows 98 Second Edition on my trusty old Pentium 4 machine.

I've used tons of OSes in the past, but as of now, I'm a Windows XP diehard! I know that MS stopped supporting it last year, but I have failed to see a single large scale malware attack since then that affects XP and not later versions of Windows. IMHO, the choice of OS is quite insignificant to the user's browsing habits as far as security is concerned. XP seems to be the last version of Windows that is not bloated beyond belief.

I used Linux for about 2 years, and it is a cool (and free! :D ) OS, but I got tired of dealing with bugs and broken package management that comes with it. With closed-source projects like Windows, there's more interaction between teams, so there tends to be less bugs.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 7:12 pm

saxgeek wrote:
Right now, I have Windows XP running on my netbook which I use all the time, Windows 7 on my main desktop, Ubuntu 14.04 on a spare laptop, and Windows 98 Second Edition on my trusty old Pentium 4 machine.

I've used tons of OSes in the past, but as of now, I'm a Windows XP diehard! I know that MS stopped supporting it last year, but I have failed to see a single large scale malware attack since then that affects XP and not later versions of Windows. IMHO, the choice of OS is quite insignificant to the user's browsing habits as far as security is concerned. XP seems to be the last version of Windows that is not bloated beyond belief.

I used Linux for about 2 years, and it is a cool (and free! :D ) OS, but I got tired of dealing with bugs and broken package management that comes with it. With closed-source projects like Windows, there's more interaction between teams, so there tends to be less bugs.

Yes Linux is free, no it's not for people who are too cheap to buy an OS. Linus Torvalds idea was for Linux to be free and open-source he was a trifle of a revolutionary I suppose.

It's not like Windows 7 can't be obtained for free. Ever heard of the Pirate Bay, that said it is illegal to download off of Pirate Bay these days.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 7:27 pm

I do have Linux Mint installed, but I mostly use Windows 7 as I like video games and I can watch videos online. (Since Flash don't support Linux anymore, watching video as become difficult on it.)