Why rain is most likely on weekends (in the U.S.A. at least)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 10:41 pm

There is a scientific reason why it always rains on weekends by Esther Inglis-Arkell, Gizmodo, March 10, 2014.

Excerpt:

Quote:
If you are in the northeastern United States, it's likely that your weekend traffic makes it rain on Saturday and Sunday. In fact, most of us help control the weather in some way. Here's how you are making the sun shine, or bringing on a thunderstorm.

In 1998, a group of scientists at Arizona State University analyzed data going back to the 1940s, and found that a disproportionate amount of rain was hitting on weekend days. Since the seven day week isn't natural, they went looking for some unnatural causes of the wet weekends.

Briefly, the unnatural cause is more car exhaust on weekends.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 3:45 pm

It rains most days where I live, all through the year.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 3:48 pm

I'm surprised there isn't more exhaust when everyone's heading to work.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2023, 1:59 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
There is a scientific reason why it always rains on weekends by Esther Inglis-Arkell, Gizmodo, March 10, 2014.

Excerpt:

Quote:
If you are in the northeastern United States, it's likely that your weekend traffic makes it rain on Saturday and Sunday. In fact, most of us help control the weather in some way. Here's how you are making the sun shine, or bringing on a thunderstorm.

In 1998, a group of scientists at Arizona State University analyzed data going back to the 1940s, and found that a disproportionate amount of rain was hitting on weekend days. Since the seven day week isn't natural, they went looking for some unnatural causes of the wet weekends.

Briefly, the unnatural cause is more car exhaust on weekends.

If thats the case, what is with the lack of extra wet weather in places like LA?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 3:33 pm

If you remove all of the dust particles in the air then...yes...you wouldnt have rain. Even if you had lotsa humidity.

Thats because rain droplets need a tiny piece of solid matter floating in the air for the water to condense around and form droplets which turn into rain drops.

But that doesnt mean the more dust the more rain. You still need the humidity.

So this "weekend driving" theory just doesnt make sense to me. Cant believe that just making the air dirtier would cause appreciable increase in rain.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Since the seven day week isn't natural....

Blasphemy! Inerrant scripture proves the Creator invented the seven-day week. Just joshing. Interesting article.

But it doesn't explain thoroughly how the build-up of aerosols over the week leads to rain at the weekend. Maybe there's a time delay between the maximum aerosol concentration and the rainfall? Otherwise I'd have expected Friday to be wettest and the weekend to be drier. And why is there less weekend traffic in North Eastern USA? Not saying there isn't, just want to know why. Still, I'm not knocking the article, it's just me with my scientific, inquisitive mind. And I should have known it was only a pop-science article from the bit that explained that aerosols aren't just hairspray.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 2:03 pm

It always seems to rain whenever my mom and I go shopping for groceries on Mondays, even when it was sunny all weekend. Of course, we live in Atlantic Canada and it does rain a lot.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 9:30 am

They used to say that "baseball games cause rain", or that "waxing your car causes rain".

So...in Abu Dabi they should hold baseball games, and massive group car waxing...and force the population to take weekend day trips. It will turn the desert sheikdom into a lush green rainforest in no time!

Or atleast it would put those theories to the test.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 3:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
They used to say that "baseball games cause rain", or that "waxing your car causes rain".

So...in Abu Dabi they should hold baseball games, and massive group car waxing...and force the population to take weekend day trips. It will turn the desert sheikdom into a lush green rainforest in no time!

Sounds like you may know about the Buttered Cat perpetual motion device.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 3:26 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Sounds like you may know about the Buttered Cat perpetual motion device.

NO IDEA...what that is.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 7:30 pm

^
I'm glad you asked that question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttered_cat_paradox

The March 31, 2005, strip of the webcomic Bunny also explored the idea in the guise of a plan for a "Perpetual Motion MoggieToast 5k Power Generator", based on Sod's law.

I note that the theory has been debunked :cry: (see the "In reality" section). It's blasphemy to those who believe in Sod's Law.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 3:23 pm

Yes. That would be in a similar vein to my baseball theory.

AND...here is actual footage of scientists putting ...the "buttered cat theory" to the test!

https://youtu.be/Z8yW5cyXXRc

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 5:26 pm

:D
I trust no animals were harmed in the making of that video.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2023, 6:00 pm

I think that we can assume not. :D

Here its all explained...mathematically!

But before you start trying to build perpetual motion machines they explored alternative sources of petroleum.

Like...siphoning oil off of the faces of teenage kids!