Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Can you post in the forums on wrongplaner using an ipod touch/iphone?
yes 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
no 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
maybe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I haven't tried. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
I don't have an ipod touch or iphone. 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
What is an ipod touch and/or iphone? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 7:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has tried using wrongplanet on the new ipod touch or iphone.

Can you post in the forums on whrn using the ipod touch/iphone?

Has anyone tried making a webapp of wrongplanet for the ipod touch/iphone?

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2007, 8:48 pm

Posted from iPhone.

GreaseMonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2007, 9:49 pm

There are no iPhones in New Zealand; only iPod Touch. Which is quite fortunate, as the iPhone locks you into one vendor.

Although if I were able to get my HP 95LX working, and I could code an internet program (and have a dial-up connection, of course), then yeah, I'd fully do that.

EDIT: For those of you who don't know what the 95LX is, it's a palmtop with a full keyboard (no mouse) which has an NEC V20 CPU (a clone of the Intel 8088 (which is a CPU that the Pentiums are derived from)), 1MB of RAM, shared with the ramdisk (originally 512KB), and a 248x128 black-and-white screen. It's quite sexy, though, but it'd take a lot of work to get the internet working on it. Fortunately, it supports a 56k serial modem (I think - would 57600 work? If not, then it'd support 19200), so yeah, dial-up internet should work, but I have to deal with the 640KB limit of the traditional 8086/8088. The 95LX also has an infrared port, so it can also be used as a remote control :D

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2007, 4:04 am

GreaseMonkey wrote:
There are no iPhones in New Zealand

There are hacked iPhones in New Zealand, in fact I had mine down there a few weeks ago using Vodafone New Zealand. There are import companies there that sell hacked iPhones, but they are very expensive.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2007, 6:42 am

Some speculation about Orcon possibly offering the iPhone in New Zealand

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2007, 11:54 am

I was able to read WP pages but I didn't try logging in, let alone post to WP...
because the links are very small and I am a bit fumble-fingered....

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2007, 8:14 pm

richie wrote:
I was able to read WP pages but I didn't try logging in, let alone post to WP...
because the links are very small and I am a bit fumble-fingered....

Zoom in - Two fingers on screen and then spread them apart.

Zoom to column width - Double tap on a column of text.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2007, 2:52 pm

posting this with ipod touch. it's kinda hard to type on it though.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 4:34 pm

Am want an iphone,does anyone know how long it will be before they start offering them without contracts/the top up type?
Also,do they work with styluses?

And about the hacked version,sisters' boyfriend said he heard chris moyles[?] saying on the radio that he has got one,and it's working on another network.
Am had heard that they won't work if they changed to work with another network but now it doesn't seem so?.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 10:15 pm

Sort of going off on a tangent here, but this video was really funny and I couldn't resist

How Microsoft would market the Ipod

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAcwriid0[/youtube]

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 1:09 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
I want an iphone,does anyone know how long it will be before they start offering them without contracts/the top up type?

They don't work with styluses and I hear there is a rumor of using one without a contract, but I don't know if that it true. I don't own a Touch/iPhone and NEVER will.

Corvillus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2008, 9:06 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Am want an iphone,does anyone know how long it will be before they start offering them without contracts/the top up type?

And about the hacked version,sisters' boyfriend said he heard chris moyles[?] saying on the radio that he has got one,and it's working on another network.
Am had heard that they won't work if they changed to work with another network but now it doesn't seem so?.

The iPhones definitely don't work on another without a 2 year contract out of the box, and don't work on carriers other than AT&T US, O2 UK, Orange France and T-Mobile Germany, but using 2 firmware hacks on the older iPhones you can fix that "problem".

The first hack is the jailbreak. If you have any experience with UNIX / Linux, the iPhone's root user runs inside a BSD jail (similar to a chroot jail) so that only the phone's media partition can be accessed, not the root one. This is to prevent people from installing applications or otherwise having control over the phone they purchased. The jailbreak essentially fixes this problem (you get full access to the phone), which then enables you to add or remove applications from the phone. This also enables you to get around activating the 2 year AT&T contract through iTunes. (EDIT: Forgot to mention that the jailbreak may also be performed on the iPod Touch as well to allow you to install applications, including all the missing iPhone apps except Phone and Text.)

The second hack is the baseband carrier subsidy unlock. Basically, the iPhone will only connect to the SIM if it is one of Apple's approved carriers. Otherwise, it rejects the SIM card and you get no phone service. This hack essentially makes the phone approve ALL SIM cards instead of only Apple approved ones.

Once you have both of these hacks applied to the phone, you can swap the SIM card whenever you want and have no problem connecting. This can even be a SIM from a prepaid phone if you want.

Currently I'm using a hacked AT&T iPhone on Fido in Canada (so...Rogers network), and have no contract. I just went to the AT&T store in Detroit (I live in Windsor), bought the phone telling them it was a gift so they wouldn't try to get me to agree to anything in store, took it home, jailbroke and unlocked it, popped in my Fido SIM and I was good to go.

However, it is important to note that Apple is constantly working to break these hacks, so if you have a hacked phone, don't update or restore it normally or you'll end up with a brick. Also, don't go out buying phones unless you're certain about the hackability of them, as all of these updates get applied in stores. Basically, do a lot of research before buying one, unless you're willing to buy one pre-hacked (and even then, make sure you don't update), or want to use it on an approved carrier under the approved contract terms (in which case you shouldn't have any problems). And it goes without mentioning that hacking your phone voids the warranty.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 9:39 pm

I don't need a Touch/iPhone because I am happy with my new YP-P2 (avatar) and my LG Cu400.